automatic gearbox

insignia

automatic gearbox  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

insignia - 2013-05-24 3:26 PM

Does anyone have any experience of this gearbox on a Fiat Ducato 160 engine thinking of buying an Autotrail Savannah 2010 model Never had an auto gearbox on a motorhome before only on cars which have all been good

Absolutely brilliant. There are people who have never owned or used this gearbox who will no doubt give you their comments based on zilch knowledge or experience but take it from me this is a great box that works fabulously.

The only potential downside is that, unlike a conventional auto, the vehicle rolls backwards on a hill from a standing start so you have to develop the skill of left foot breaking or use the handbrake aggressively but you soon the get the hang of it.

Mike88 - 2013-05-24 2:52 PM

Does anyone have any experience of this gearbox on a Fiat Ducato 160 engine thinking of buying an Autotrail Savannah 2010 model Never had an auto gearbox on a motorhome before only on cars which have all been good

Absolutely brilliant. There are people who have never owned or used this gearbox who will no doubt give you their comments based on zilch knowledge or experience but take it from me this is a great box that works fabulously.

The only potential downside is that, unlike a conventional auto, the vehicle rolls backwards on a hill from a standing start so you have to develop the skill of left foot breaking or use the handbrake aggressively but you soon the get the hang of it.

But if it has ESP I believe you get hill holder. My Transit has that and I am pleased it does because with the extra height of the swivel seat the hand-brake is a bit of a stretch. I wouldn't have chosen it as an option but I am a convert now, The downside is that I think I am getting de-skilled.

Muswell - 2013-05-24 4:05 PM

Mike88 - 2013-05-24 2:52 PM

But if it has ESP I believe you get hill holder. My Transit has that and I am pleased it does because with the extra height of the swivel seat the hand-brake is a bit of a stretch. I wouldn't have chosen it as an option but I am a convert now, The downside is that I think I am getting de-skilled.

And now for the facts;

When I ordered my first one, I was told that Comfort-matic and ESP were a linked option and at that time it included hill holder in the ESP package. So I had to have all of it.

Later is was not linked and you could have the auto without ESP and ESP and/or hill holder were separate options.

The current situation, as I understand it is that hill holder is included with ESP again and is an option on top of the auto but anyone looking to place an order should check exactly what to order to get what you need.

Whatever it is, and whatever the cost; it's superb.

In 2010 - the age of the vehicle the OP wishes to buy - hill holder was an optional extra whereas previously it was standard with a Comfortmatic. Unfortunately Swift - the make of my vehicle - didn't offer that option but I'm unsure about Autotrail.

If the vehicle the OP is interested in has hill holder then great. It is definitately worth having but if it hasn't this should not be a deal breaker as you soon get used to not having it.

We have had this MH for over 3 years now and the automatic box has performed perfectly at all times covering 14000 miles, some of which has been whilst towing with A frame.

Initially it took a little bit of getting used too, for example it will not be rushed between auto changes and having to depress the foot brake for manual changes between neutral, reverse and 1st. I often forgot in the early days and it often bleeped at me!

I also like the ability to take control of the changes in semi automatic mode, even the it will not allow you to make stupid changes or forget to change gear - it just takes over.

There is also a small button just above the gear stick which is for hill starts with a heavy load or for climbing a steep hill under heavy load. It seems to hold it in the most appropriate gear given the load on the engine.

I would not hesitate in having another MH with this gearbox.

And finally there is no reverse judder!! but that's another story.

Hope this helps.

John & Anne.

Guest pelmetman
It can't be worse than the Ford semi auto box *-).....................but any high mileage info would be useful for people buying second hand ;-)........?

pelmetman - 2013-05-24 10:37 PM

It can't be worse than the Ford semi auto box *-).....................but any high mileage info would be useful for people buying second hand ;-)........?

My bet is that euroserve will have experience of a very high mileage vehicle.

I have a 2009 X250 3 litre with comfortmatic auto box, but without ESP (I would have preferred ESP) and without hill holder . I find the comfortmatic box fantastic, and I am glad I do not have hill holder, as without it I can manouvre backwards into a layby or wider bit of road when I have to without coming out of the forward drive (for example on a narrow uphill road when you want to let another vehicle coming downhill pass you, or when in other similar situations. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived