Appleby Horse Fair

Wooie

Whilst out in the van today we travelled along the A65 from Kendal to Skipton.

The Gypsies are out in force and on their way to Appleby.

It was absolutely crawling with them pitched on every spare bit of land at the side of the road and Horses tethered everywhere.

The queues going towards Kendal were quite staggering being held up by Horse Drawn Carriages.

Thankfully we was going the other way towards Skipton.

If you are in the area Be Careful

In the olden days ,once the derby was run everyone would leave Epsom and head off up north to Appleby arriving late Saturday evening or Sunday : I think the derby is next Saturday . But I suppose things have changed a lot nowadays pp.

Guest Peter James
pelmetman - 2013-05-24 5:49 PM

I thought the council had banned it :-S

The Elected Council doesn't have the power to ban it because it was granted by the Unelected King James 2 (by Royal Charter in 1685)

Our Elected representatives can't over rule our Unelected ones. Even when they have been dead for over 300 years.

They are a bloody nuisance to be honest. I live just a few miles from the A66 and every year the crime rate soars. The village next to ours is often taken over for weeks on end. they put up fence around the green but still they find a way to park up for weeks! The bloody council even put out porta loos for them now (which I pay for) and yet they still leave rubbish. They think they are being responsible by bagging u their sh$te and rubbish and leaving it in bin bags around where they have been which within hours is scattered across the fields or roadway.

In one village they were frequently seen just emptying it all into the local river.

As for their animals. They do mistreat them. Im the last person to have go at any minority but I speak from experience with this lot. A law unto themselves.

In Cornwall they are provided with portaloos and sometimes a skip to put their rubbish into. Clearly we get a different class of traveller.

I don't have a problem with people travelling around, but do have an issue with dealing with the rubbish they leave behind, as well as the damage.

If they cared for the environment more and those that were in the area that they 'invaded', then they would get a far better press and a lot less hassle.

Rant over :-D

Archived