Versailles

John.N

Guest pelmetman
If its the place with the long mirror gallery (I forget we have been to so many) then we parked in one of the large car parks not far from the palace................but it was a few years ago :-S

A much closer alternative would be Huttopia Versailles, here: N48.79401 E2.16070. Rue Berthelot, Versailles.

About 3km from the entrance to the palace as the crow flies. Well reviewed in Caravan Europe. About €30 per night, depending on dates, for van inc 2 people but electricity €5.50 extra. Has motorhome facilities. Bus stop 500M. Trains about 2km.

We stayed at Maisons-Lafitte as we also wanted a couple of days in Paris, as well as visiting Versailles. MF is 16 euros per night, including EHU, with ACSI discount card (until 28th June and also from 25/8 until 2/11). We felt that the savings over the 4 nights we stayed gave us much better value than staying at the site close to Versailles.

The car park in front of the entrance gates is for cars the one lower down we parked the van.Get there early to avoid large groups of schoole children.you have to queue inside for a ticket to the palace but you can jump the queue if you use the credit card machines. you can just walk into the gardens for free ,for me the best part.

Baz

We visited Versailles last year and stayed at Hutopia camp site, from there we walked to the palace which took us about 45 minutes, you can park on the main road leading down from the entrance from the palace but might need to get there early, we saw quite a few motorhomes parked there.

• 2 weeks later...

We visited in 2010 and there was loads of parking directly outside the Palace. The day we went there, there were about 50 coaches, so don't see a problem with a motorhome (we have changed back to a caravan so we were in a car). I remember the parking to be horrendously expensive.

It was 12 euros 40c (in 2010) and that was for a landrover. Our credit card would not work in the meter.

There is too much to see in one day, we never made it round the Marie Antoinette house and gardens.

Do not recommend going on a weekend - all the world is there.

As regards a camp site - we used the municipal site at Chartres, as we had a lot to see there (took us an hour).

Don't know if you know but the fountains do not start till3.30pm (that was in Sept) which really are a must see and totally transformed the gardens. There is one that goes every 15 minutes to music.

Not much else we can say, everybody's likes and dislikes are different but if I knew now what I didn't know then, I would not bother with the Palace, just so many people shoving and pushing but I just had to see the Hall of Mirrors. And by the way, you have to leave bags when you go in.

mel wood - 2013-05-25 9:38 AM

We visited Versailles last April and stayed at Maisons Lafitte. When we enquired at the campsite about motorhome parking at Versailles we were told that it wasn't allowed. We travelled by train which was fine.

I repeat this post in the light of the comments by Peggy Corps which are based on a visit a few years ago.

Also I'd like to add that we (and many other people) had bags with us and we were able to take them into the palace.

By arriving just after the palace opened we were able to visit all parts including the farmhouse/hammau and comfortably enjoy it (although admittedly the fountains weren't playing at that time). It is obviously up to individuals as to how much can realistically be done in one day.

Perhaps someone can post some even more up to date information than mine.

• 2 weeks later...
rebbyvid - 2013-05-28 5:20 PM

stopped here and its a five minute walk to the park gates then walk thro the park to the palace gardens

http://www.campingcar-infos.com/Francais/ccib.php?numero=303

http://www.rebbyvid.co.uk/#/france-2010/4542257408

Thanks for that tip, parked there night before last, strange aire cross between aire and campsite, 15e IIRC althought notice states leave before 10am we spoke to chap on desk and left van there all day whilst we went to 'gardens', but it was quiet so maybe not july/aug. It is part of the 'village' for park workers and as such is just couple of hundred yards from it's own gate into park

Archived