Two batteries??

Pampam

When I read of someone having two batteries does it mean you just site a second one next to the main habitation one and then when that's nearly flat you attach to second one and use that .?or are they both "wired "in together as if they one giant battery?pp.

The majority of motorhomes will have two sets of batteries, with each "set" comprising one or more batteries.

One set will supply electrical power for the base-vehicle itself (starting the motor, lights, windscreen-wipers, etc.)

The other set will supply electrical power to 'leisure' elements (lights in the motorhome's living area, water-pump, etc.) and, if more than one 'leisure battery', is fitted all of those batteries will be normally be connected in parallel so that together they act "as if they are one giant battery".

(The exception to this general rule is when two batteries are connected in series to produce a higher combined voltage than each battery's individual voltage - for example, when two 6V batteries are connected in series to provide a 12V output, or two 12V batteries are series-connected to provide a 24V output.)

This link should help

http://www.motts.org/second%20leisiure%20battery.htm

Guest 1footinthegrave
Pampam - 2013-05-25 7:05 AM

When I read of someone having two batteries does it mean you just site a second one next to the main habitation one and then when that's nearly flat you attach to second one and use that .?or are they both "wired "in together as if they one giant battery?pp.

Yes they would be wired together to give you extra battery capacity to allow longer usage of your 12 volt systems, if not staying somewhere that has a mains electric hookup, but there is a caveat, the more capacity, the longer they take to charge if reliant only on the split charging relays normally used from the vans alternator to charge them up again.

But do please be aware 12 volt batteries have some very serious power within them, if you are not sure what you are doing with them it can be dangerous.

But do you actually need to worry about it? If you aren't running low on leisure battery power (I think I read you mainly use sites so probably don't) then it may all be completely unnecessary.

You also (space permitting) have the option of just replacing your single leisure battery with one that has more capacity so, in effect, you really do have 'one giant battery'. That way you won't have to faff with extra wiring / terminals / fuses. It's also intrinsically more reliable to do this as two (or more) batteries in parallel can kill each other in sibling wars.

Yes have nearly always used sites with facilities but am spreading my wings and trying new options we went to a DA at ripon racecourse and really enjoyed it so want to make sure we can at least listen to radio . Next time.pp.

Pampam - 2013-05-27 8:45 PM

Yes have nearly always used sites with facilities but am spreading my wings and trying new options we went to a DA at ripon racecourse and really enjoyed it so want to make sure we can at least listen to radio . Next time.pp.

If thats all you want extra battery power for, why not use a portable radio ? Much cheaper in the long run

Do you have room for a second battery? We don't in our van, as it is set in a box in the middle of the floor, and only room for one battery there, so we would have to place an extra one elsewhere and run wires to it

PJay

If you use an inverter to power a mains radio - or anything else mains voltage - you will use a lot more 12 volt power because the inverter will also consume power.

A dry cell operated portable radio with rechargeable nicad / nimh batteries and a set of spare batteries would solve that problem over a weekend.

Remind us again what van you have, what size and how old the leisure battery is, and whether there is room close to it for a second?

Guest 1footinthegrave
Tracker - 2013-05-27 9:07 PM

If you use an inverter to power a mains radio - or anything else mains voltage - you will use a lot more 12 volt power because the inverter will also consume power.

A dry cell operated portable radio with rechargeable nicad / nimh batteries and a set of spare batteries would solve that problem over a weekend.

Remind us again what van you have, what size and how old the leisure battery is, and whether there is room close to it for a second?

There you go, it has never occurred to me to get a battery operated portable radio, and as the cab one ( with speakers in the rear of the van ) runs off the engine battery has always stressed me out, well I have to say why did I never think of that ! good one Tracker

I'd also add, dump your halogen bulbs if fitted and go led, fantastic battery consumption savings to be had ;-)

Archived