One for Nick, Eddie, and all, Filters vs Mice

colin

Next for Nick.

The mice (two dead found) have been at my Air filter. If you look at the 'housing' photo you can see hole at bottom, as the housing is slightly canted over this is at lowest point, now looking at 'housing close up' it appears to have been gnawed by the mice, BUT, should it have a hole there (poss for drainage) or have they gnawed completely through? Also couple of pics of the filter. I also noted, I have purchased Fram filters, these appear to be slightly inferior to the Fiat originals, odd as I thought Fram made them for Fiat, obviously not?

718803201_FilterHousing.JPG.1af49b8beff1e2eac7faf50ff1aeaa44.JPG

1659257391_FilterHousingCloseup.JPG.cf465ae203e452236f03f4822925bba4.JPG

1233046631_DamagedFiltertop.jpg.00633313bcaadcdf1eabb36f863edb47.jpg

1639413719_DamagedFilterbtm.jpg.75c44372c92530a24e62d58477f5631a.jpg

Guest JudgeMental

How many miles Colin?

still a bit confused as don't know what to do. Have the two year low milage service (11.000 m) or not....Just worried that if I need to sell it next year (health) with a missed service....But Nicks advice makes sense.........Help?

This is my second year service, first year was with Fiat at 5,000 miles and was basically an oil change.

This one at 10,000 miles I decided to change all filters and oil.

The pollen filter came out a bit dirty, after 10,000 miles this is as expected and pretty much as all my other vehicles, so worth doing.

The air filter might not have needed doing if the mice hadn't got to it.

Oil I would always change every year.

Brake fluid I'll be leaving till next year when it goes for MOT.

My servicing is based on expecting to keep the van for 10 years

Guest JudgeMental

So Colin you are servicing yourself and presumably because you are keeping van long term not bothered r stamp in book? and just keeping the bills for evidence I quess

maybe I should just get a basic oil and filter change :-S

You guys don't know how lucky you are. I took the old Hymer in for it's yearly MOT and oil & filter changed, and asked them to sort out the smoke/power loss problem. First reports indicate that the turbo is blocked up with nesting material and bird seed, and has burned out and must be replaced. Communication is not perfect, the mechanic is Chinese and lives in Slough, and I'm a Brummy living in Windsor, but I will go and look on Tuesday, the two large tomcats who spend most of their time under or on the van are under notice for failing in their duty.

AGD

Muswell - 2013-05-26 7:29 AM

You should replace your cat every 5000miles.

Cat went on the big mice hunt in the sky a few years back so yes needs replacing, or better still gf will not be allowed to store sheaves of corn next to van >:-(

JudgeMental - 2013-05-26 10:25 AM

So Colin you are servicing yourself and presumably because you are keeping van long term not bothered r stamp in book? and just keeping the bills for evidence I quess

maybe I should just get a basic oil and filter change :-S

Yes my vehicles are either serviced by myself or at my friends garage, each vehicle has it's own box file with all paperwork, you never know might decide to sell early, but plan is 10 years or thereabouts as van suits us well.

Colin,

I am more concerned about bits of filter and mice getting dragged into the engine! It does not look like the hole was made by mice teeth and I have not had a filter out for a while to examine the housing but will do when the opportunity arrives. The pollen filter is not especially clogged up yet and I would have left it for another year. It will still be more than effective in that condition.

If the mice have made that much of a mess in the filter box, I would be seriously concerned about your wiring!

Nick

euroserv - 2013-05-28 2:11 PM

Colin,

I am more concerned about bits of filter and mice getting dragged into the engine! It does not look like the hole was made by mice teeth and I have not had a filter out for a while to examine the housing but will do when the opportunity arrives. The pollen filter is not especially clogged up yet and I would have left it for another year. It will still be more than effective in that condition.

If the mice have made that much of a mess in the filter box, I would be seriously concerned about your wiring!

Nick

I'm fairly relaxed about the engine, the holes 'self closed' due to suction, and I've had a lot (and I mean a lot) worse than a few bits of filter and mouse go throu a engine ( I found the remains of the mice).

I've checked out the wiring as best I can and no visible signs of damage, so fingers crossed we got away with that.

The hole appears to me to have been molded into filter casing, but shows signs of gnawing around edges, I wonder if there should be a grommet which the mice ate?

Archived