Switzerland Heavy Vehicle Tax

ChasB

We are planning a trip to Switzerland in September; we have been before when we had the old motorhone about ten years ago. However we now own a Busrtner that has a recorded Revenue weight of 4000 kgs gross; this I would think puts it in the heavy vehicle class and a standard vignette is not acceptable for this vehicle.

Am I right in thinking that I need to buy a vehicle pass on entry into Switzerland?

Could anyone advise from experience the following things:-

Where can this vehicle pass be purchased, can it be in advance like the standard vignette?

The cost?

How long does the vehicle pass remain valid?

And if the motorhome is parked on a campsite is the cost still charged even though it’s not being used on public roads?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Chas

There are a number of posts on here about the requirement over 3500kg.

The following thread, particularly Peejay's contribution, is probably the most succinct (though the cost may have changed somewhat).

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Switzerland-Road-Tolls/21075/

Note that you will need the documentation for ANY road use in Switzerland, it doesn't just apply to motorways when you are over 3500kg.

I found it simple to buy at the border (though I entered at one of the quieter spots), and the process was very straightforward, including payment by credit card. As they wish to see your vehicle papers, I suspect it will not be a simple process (if indeed it is possible) to buy in advance.

I was only offered the daily rate (with the minimum charge equating to some 7 or 8 days) but this suited my requirement (and was cheaper, given my limited length of stay, than if I had been able validly to buy a vignette).

Thanks for your information and the link to the previous tread.

Does anyone know what the current cost is for the 10 day Private HGV disc is? Is that 10 days for the total stay in Switzerland irrespective if the motorhome is used on the road or not; or does the 10 days only apply to the days that the motorhome is used on the road?

ChasB - 2013-05-29 6:03 PM

Thanks for your information and the link to the previous tread.

Does anyone know what the current cost is for the 10 day Private HGV disc is? Is that 10 days for the total stay in Switzerland irrespective if the motorhome is used on the road or not; or does the 10 days only apply to the days that the motorhome is used on the road?

Hi,

The cost in 2011 was Chf 32.50 for the 10 day pass, could have gone up since then.

It is a tax, not a toll so it is charged for every day the vehicle is in the country regardless of whether you use the roads or not, see...

http://www.ezv.admin.ch/zollinfo_firmen/04020/04204/04208/04246/04837/index.html?lang=en

Don't know about a disc but at customs you need to fill in form 15.91, pay the fee and customs will date stamp the form which validates it. Then fill in the form manually for each day you are in the country (10 blocks on the form). If you only use it for say 2 days when travelling through then you will still have 8 days left to use before the form expires (one year after the date stamp), so it is usually the most cost effective option if transiting to other countries.

Pete

Not sure that Pete is correct, travelled and stayed in Switzerland last year purchased form at border crossing and was advised to only fill in the 10 day form when you used the vehicle on the road. If you stay put on a site and do not use your vehicle then no need to fill in form, if you stayed for 2 weeks then logically you would need 2 x 10 day passes and have not used vehicle on road. The Vignette for lower rated vehicles is on an annual basis.

Gerry

Ris - 2013-05-30 2:37 PM

Not sure that Pete is correct, travelled and stayed in Switzerland last year purchased form at border crossing and was advised to only fill in the 10 day form when you used the vehicle on the road. If you stay put on a site and do not use your vehicle then no need to fill in form, if you stayed for 2 weeks then logically you would need 2 x 10 day passes and have not used vehicle on road. The Vignette for lower rated vehicles is on an annual basis.

Gerry

Hi Gerry,

Taken from the Swiss Customs FAQ link I supplied in my post....

"We will spend our summer holidays in our caravan on Lake Neuchâtel. Do we have to pay the PSVA only for the days required for the journey there and back, or for the entire duration of the stay?

Foreign vehicles subject to the PSVA are liable for the charge in the same way as vehicles registered in Switzerland for each day spent in Switzerland. This also applies even if they are only parked up and are not on the road."

Pete

Archived