Driving licence

John swift

John swift - 2013-05-26 9:31 PM

I have an old paper licence do i need a photo ID card by law or is it just recomended

You do not NEED to go for a photo licence but you may find the CC info below useful for travel to Europe.

This is from the caravan club site

All driving licences issued in the UK are legal to use in EU countries

International Driving Permits (IDPs) can be obtained from selected Post Offices, The AA and the RAC.

Note

if you have an all green licence issued before 1991 which does not conform to EU standards or have a pictorial representation of what you are allowed to drive/tow we would strongly recommend that you change this for a photo-card licence or carry an International Driving Permit, due to problems with translation.

Follow this link FYI. Documentation and insurance requirements | Planning your holiday | The Caravan Club

Cliffy - 2013-05-26 10:09 PM

I have an old paper licence do i need a photo ID card by law or is it just recomended

You do not NEED to go for a photo licence but you may find the CC info below useful for travel to Europe.

International Driving Permits (IDPs) can be obtained from selected Post Offices, The AA and the RAC.

Note

if you have an all green licence issued before 1991 which does not conform to EU standards or have a pictorial representation of what you are allowed to drive/tow we would strongly recommend that you change this for a photo-card licence or carry an International Driving Permit, due to problems with translation.

Follow this link FYI. Documentation and insurance requirements | Planning your holiday | The Caravan Club

The only EU country I recall as needing a translation for the old licence was Italy, but since then there's been several countries joined the EU.

colin - 2013-05-26 10:25 PM

Cliffy - 2013-05-26 10:09 PM

Note

The only EU country I recall as needing a translation for the old licence was Italy, but since then there's been several countries joined the EU.

I think they are saying that an International driving permit would save a the problem of them trying to translate a British licence to work out if it covers the type of vehicle you are driving not that it is a legal requirement,

Uff,,,,,,,,,this a favourite pet hate subject of mine!! It's basically another stealth tax.

In short the answer is no you don't........but whatever you do don't apply for one. Once you do, they've 'got you' because you then have to keep the photo up to date.

I fell for the old trick when the DVLA first brought photo id cards out and to tempt dummies like me they offered them online FOC. I didn't read the small print! The photo id licence has to be renewed every ten years (currently at a cost of £20) until you are 70 years old after which it becomes free.

Your 'old' paper licence is replaced with a Counterpart and you also have to keep that as well as the photo id card........totally bonkers.

Stick with your 'old' paper licence. It's legal. It's valid. Hasn't cost you a penny and won't ever......and few foreign Police understand them so simply give them a cursory glance!

Also worth mentioning is if you have a Photo id licence stolen as mine was, even though you are still legally able to drive, you have to purchase another photo id card and DVLA cancel out the old one and send a new Counterpart.

You would think that having a photo id card would get rid of the need for a piece of paper as well wouldn't you, but oh no......in their infinite wisdom you are lumbered with two items rather than one! *-) *-)

Colin

Prior to my having a photo id I was stopped by Police (nothing serious....just curious) in Germany and Poland and neither could make sense out of it!

Cliffy - 2013-05-26 10:38 PM

I think they are saying that an International driving permit would save a the problem of them trying to translate a British licence to work out if it covers the type of vehicle you are driving not that it is a legal requirement,

Cliffy

IDP's are only required if driving in non-EU countries (apart from Switzerland). I've had to get one to cover me for Bosnia, Serbia and Albania......IF my green card comes through. I'm on full panic stations at the moment as it's been lost in the post and the Insurance said they would send copy out to arrive by Saturday just gone.

It didn't arrive. I can't contact them now until Tuesday either.......and I leave on Friday. *-)

Here is a list of countries for the IDP

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/idp-requirements-by-country.html#notes

Dave Newell - 2013-05-27 5:33 PM

Bulletguy said:

"Uff,,,,,,,,,this a favourite pet hate subject of mine!! It's basically another stealth tax."

Once every ten years, is this really so onerous? How can it be a stealth tax, its not exactly a hidden detail.

DVLA have since cleaned up their site on the licence making it much clearer than what it was.

Incidentally......are you ever happy apart from when 'picking' at someones posts, moaning or just generally being a disagreeable grump......because you seem to do little else?

Bulletguy - 2013-05-27 10:04 PM

Dave Newell - 2013-05-27 5:33 PM

Bulletguy said:

"Uff,,,,,,,,,this a favourite pet hate subject of mine!! It's basically another stealth tax."

Once every ten years, is this really so onerous? How can it be a stealth tax, its not exactly a hidden detail.

DVLA have since cleaned up their site on the licence making it much clearer than what it was.

Incidentally......are you ever happy apart from when 'picking' at someones posts, moaning or just generally being a disagreeable grump......because you seem to do little else?

A disagreeable grump? Me? Well I suppose I do disagree with some people's views but I don't think I'm grumpy in particular. I don't tend to make lots of postings complaining about things like having to renew a licence every ten years like some people do though so perhaps its you that is the grump? I am generally quite happy n my life thank you.

D.

When anybody wants to see my old paper thingy,I have to tell them to be careful.

It looks similar to one of the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Very fragile and does not see the light of day very often.

Anyhow it has lasted 30 odd years it will do for another 8 until the big seven O

HWO

Derek Uzzell - 2013-05-28 9:08 AM

The situation is usefully summarised here:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/renew-driving-licence#paper

Yes Derek that is an excellent link.

When the photocard was first brought out there was much confusion about the validity. Few people realised it had to be renewed every ten years (due to the photograph) as the explanation (back then) on the DVLA website was about as clear as mud. I was actually stopped by the Police on a traffic check and an Officer pointed out that my card was out of date by two months. He told me then that they had come across numerous people totally unaware.

I notice now that the DVLA have clarified the issue on their website.

Once issued with a photocard you are expected to renew it.......yet the DVLA only advise that. So it's still not particularly 'black and white'! It's almost as though they can't make their mind up what to do!

Another crazy part about having a photocard, I thought it would be one piece of paperwork less.

WRONG!!

You send your 'old' paper driving licence to the DVLA who then return it with your photocard......along with a Counterpart Licence which has to be kept at all times. Lose it and they charge a fee for a copy.

So to all those who have retained their 'old' paper Driving licence, I strongly suggest stick with it for obvious reasons!

Bulletguy - 2013-05-27 12:28 AM

Colin

Prior to my having a photo id I was stopped by Police (nothing serious....just curious) in Germany and Poland and neither could make sense out of it!

Cliffy - 2013-05-26 10:38 PM

Cliffy

IDP's are only required if driving in non-EU countries (apart from Switzerland). I've had to get one to cover me for Bosnia, Serbia and Albania......IF my green card comes through. I'm on full panic stations at the moment as it's been lost in the post and the Insurance said they would send copy out to arrive by Saturday just gone.

It didn't arrive. I can't contact them now until Tuesday either.......and I leave on Friday. *-)

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/idp-requirements-by-country.html#notes

I was only sign posting the OP to the Caravan Club info. I think they were only playing save if stopped on the road that the IDP would help a non English speaking official work out whether, you had a licence to drive the type of vehicle you were driving.

Cliffy - 2013-05-28 8:31 PM

I was only sign posting the OP to the Caravan Club info. I think they were only playing save if stopped on the road that the IDP would help a non English speaking official work out whether, you had a licence to drive the type of vehicle you were driving.

I get the impression the CC go a bit OTT on 'rules and regs whilst abroad' Cliffy, and tend to panic folk into 'do's and don'ts' etc!

Most countries now simply want either your Passport or Photocard licence if stopped by Traffic Police. A good example being Bulgaria. Drive at night (not a very good idea!) and there are Police at the side of the road in almost every small town or village you drive through. Some asked to see my Passport whilst others simply waved me on.

I was only asked once for my licence and that was in Romania at a roadside check. Took one glance at it, handed it back and waved me on.

Bulletguy - 2013-05-28 9:02 PM

Cliffy - 2013-05-28 8:31 PM

I get the impression the CC go a bit OTT on 'rules and regs whilst abroad' Cliffy, and tend to panic folk into 'do's and don'ts' etc!

Most countries now simply want either your Passport or Photocard licence if stopped by Traffic Police. A good example being Bulgaria. Drive at night (not a very good idea!) and there are Police at the side of the road in almost every small town or village you drive through. Some asked to see my Passport whilst others simply waved me on.

I was only asked once for my licence and that was in Romania at a roadside check. Took one glance at it, handed it back and waved me on.

I can remember when I first went abroad in the motorhome and I was glad to be given advise that might have been over the top but at least I was happy that I was well covered in all eventualities.

For information, there's a comprehensive article here on the EU standardisation of the format of the driving-licence:

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-13-10_en.htm

Standardisation needs to have taken place by 2033 and it seems that, for car drivers and motorcyclists, the between-renewals period for the new-format licence will be 10 years minimum to 15 years maximum depending on the Member State (not the 5-year period quoted in MMM July issue). Driving licences for bus and lorry drivers will be valid for 5 years and a medical check-up will be necessary for renewal.

Archived