Favorite areas of France

Guest 1footinthegrave

Guest 1footinthegrave
Well here we are three days from sailing and have yet to make a decision apart from our usual wanderings without pre-planning where to tour in France, so let's here your thoughts on your favorite areas to tour, and why, perhaps this trip we should do more than just decide to turn left or right each day :D

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Franche Comte and the Jura. Lovely scenery, unspoilt by mass tourism, wonderful limestone gorges, caves and waterfalls. Wine, Cheese, local cuisine. I know these are things available elsewhere in France, but in this region it just seems more, well, French, to us.

We are off Wenesday too.

Neil B

One foot

Before you decide, check the weather in the area, as France is a bit wet and windy at the moment

We have been over here for two weeks, and are now in Spain, as France was windy/wet and miserable

Warmer in Spain, though not what you would expect for the time of year, now in Valencia area, so still going south to find some heat. We have been putting the heater on some nights, so come prepared

PJay

Guest 1footinthegrave
Thanks for that, we very much enjoyed the Alsace region on one occasion, and no doubt passed through some of that area as well, but will certainly take a look in more depth before we head of this week, so thanks.

Guest 1footinthegrave
PJay - 2013-05-27 8:57 PM

One foot

Before you decide, check the weather in the area, as France is a bit wet and windy at the moment

We have been over here for two weeks, and are now in Spain, as France was windy/wet and miserable

Warmer in Spain, though not what you would expect for the time of year, now in Valencia area, so still going south to find some heat. We have been putting the heater on some nights, so come prepared

PJay

Yes thanks for the heads up, we were originally coming over on the 15th, and have delayed until the 30th because of the weather, if it's any consolation it's crap here as well, 5c here tonight :-(

Guest 1footinthegrave
Yes, thanks Mike, only did a bit of it around Les Eyzies, Domme etc, just wish I could have got the missus on a "canoe cruise" sadly she does not do water, as you probably know great Aire at Les Eyzies and other areas, may take in that area again though, so much more to see, thanks.

I am not sure how long you will be in France. If you are in France next month July why not catch a few days of the Tour de France. Brilliant to race see. Have a good trip. We are off to see the TDF in July our first stop to see them is on Mont Vontoux.

WASFITONCE

Guest 1footinthegrave
lennyhb - 2013-05-28 8:43 AM

MY favourite area is the Massif Central, great scenery fabulous ridge walks (may not suit your knees Mike) and not too many tourists.

We had actually ( for once planned ) to tour that area last year, sadly health issues got it the way, and have always wanted to see the Millau bridge, and the "not too many tourists" rings our bell, so that's a very good suggestion, thanks, Mike

I guess I should have given our trip duration that may help with suggestions from folk, this one will be six weeks. ;-)

1footinthegrave - 2013-05-27 7:14 PM

Well here we are three days from sailing and have yet to make a decision apart from our usual wanderings without pre-planning where to tour in France, so let's here your thoughts on your favorite areas to tour, and why, perhaps this trip we should do more than just decide to turn left or right each day :D

Apart from Dover that is!

1footinthegrave - 2013-05-28 9:09 AM

MY favourite area is the Massif Central, great scenery fabulous ridge walks (may not suit your knees Mike) and not too many tourists.

We had actually ( for once planned ) to tour that area last year, sadly health issues got it the way, and have always wanted to see the Millau bridge, and the "not too many tourists" rings our bell, so that's a very good suggestion, thanks, Mike

I guess I should have given our trip duration that may help with suggestions from folk, this one will be six weeks. ;-)

You could do the central massif, this is a very big area anyway, then down the A75, free toll, to Millau, turn left Tarn and Jonte gorges. If slightly strange towns your thing Puy en Valey is central massif and worth a look, very differant, municiple in the town and loads to see, look it up. Then head for Provence and the Verdon area. You have not actually said what you like, France so diverse knowing this would help suggestions.

rupert123 - 2013-05-28 9:37 AM

You could do the central massif, this is a very big area anyway, then down the A75, free toll, to Millau, turn left Tarn and Jonte gorges. If slightly strange towns your thing Puy en Valey is central massif and worth a look, very differant, municiple in the town and loads to see, look it up. Then head for Provence and the Verdon area. You have not actually said what you like, France so diverse knowing this would help suggestions.

We did the route you suggest last September - and then went on to the Pyrenees. If you like mountain scenery you can't beat southern France (going the other way, you also have the wonderful Alps). And if you like cycling (or just seeing lots of people enjoying themselves) the Tour de France is coming up soon. Put all that together with an extensive network of free aires, excellent food and great-value wine and you have the makings of a great trip! If the weather is good you are also within easy reach of several excellent beaches.

Guest 1footinthegrave

Well Henry we have always started with a blank piece of paper, but what others have enjoyed, and their reasons for doing so I thought would be interesting for anyone viewing the thread, and maybe give us some inspiration as well. I guess you will not be surprised to hear we like natural scenery, pretty villages and small towns with maybe a bit of history thrown in as a bonus, and away from tourist hordes, we have enough of that in Aberdyfi !

As I said we had planned last year to do something very similar to what you suggest, and apart from the current abysmal weather forecast, may well do that, thanks.

I love the mountains and lakes. So my choice would be across to Annecy area in the Rhone Alps then working my way through the mountains down to the Verdon Gorges and Lac st Croix in Provence. Provence is lovely. Then I would head west across to the Tarn area. If you want to see the Millau bridge, just a few miles west of there is one of the best wild spots in France on a wide and deep stretch of the river. You could kayak there no bother as there are no rapids if the Mrs Is a bit wary. PM me if interested.

Lake Pareloup is just north of there and an Aire right by the lake.

I quite like the Aveyron region as its a bit like North Yorkshire with 30c sunshine in summer and even peak season you can drive for hours and hardly see a sole. Some good Aires and lovely villages.

Then maybe I would belt south west to Gavarnie, Cauterets and the like in the French Pyrenees before having a few days on the coast at Biarritz and then maybe stopping off in the Dordogne on the way home.

This is pretty much a circular tour of France really. I think once you get down as far as Provence and just head west you cant go wrong really.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Thanks for all the replies so far......................we have had a text from friends of ours this morning who went down towards the south of France ten days ago, they say they are now heading for Italy as the weather has been less than kind to them,bit of a bummer,oh well, fingers crossed, can't be any worse than here at the mo. ;-) I think we'll probably head for Clermont, then head out from there taking onboard the suggestions, thanks, Mike

1footinthegrave - 2013-05-28 10:18 AM

Well Henry we have always started with a blank piece of paper, but what others have enjoyed, and their reasons for doing so I thought would be interesting for anyone viewing the thread, and maybe give us some inspiration as well. I guess you will not be surprised to hear we like natural scenery, pretty villages and small towns with maybe a bit of history thrown in as a bonus, and away from tourist hordes, we have enough of that in Aberdyfi !

As I said we had planned last year to do something very similar to what you suggest, and apart from the current abysmal weather forecast, may well do that, thanks.

Not really so much differant to us then. The weather is bound to improve in southern france, you have probably timed it just right. Unfortunately all the best places have lots of tourists, their are no unkown best places left. Still June in France is never crowded so anywhere is ok people wise. Have a great time.

Guest JudgeMental
wasting your time......weather awful most places and not that great south of france either, and that has been the best bet by a mile for weeks! You can be in Alicante in a few days and its 25 deg C, and a hell of alot better/fresher food and generally a lot cheaper than France

Guest 1footinthegrave
JudgeMental - 2013-05-28 12:22 PM

wasting your time......weather awful most places and not that great south of france either, and that has been the best bet by a mile for weeks! You can be in Alicante in a few days and its 25 deg C, and a hell of alot better/fresher food and generally a lot cheaper than France

Could be there in about 2 hours Eddie, well from Birmingham airport at least, the way things are going with the weather I may well flog the van, and spend the proceeds and have a few months in Goa every year instead ;-) we used to go to Mojacar and that neck of the woods until it all ended up being built on, and covered with plastic grow tunnels for Tesco, not our scene now.

Have been in France now for a week, has rained every day except yesterday, which was sunny most of the time. At a campsite south of Chartres, near a village called Donneval, very good site quiet with river walks and plenty beer! Rain today, so retired to the pub for free wifi, Heading for Sarlat, then across to the East, towards Reims, Epernay, local weather forecast looks good from next Sunday for a good while in June. Enjoy your trips all.

Iain Strachan - 2013-05-28 2:52 PM

Have been in France now for a week, has rained every day except yesterday, which was sunny most of the time. At a campsite south of Chartres, near a village called Donneval, very good site quiet with river walks and plenty beer! Rain today, so retired to the pub for free wifi, Heading for Sarlat, then across to the East, towards Reims, Epernay, local weather forecast looks good from next Sunday for a good while in June. Enjoy your trips all.

Don't you mean Bonneval? Less beer I think.

Archived