Favorite areas of France

Guest 1footinthegrave

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest 1footinthegrave
Well I've just chickened out again, was due to sail on Thursday, but the missus said she would kill me if we end up sitting in the van watching the rain come down, just amended our ticket again for the second time, costing me a fortune in amendments fees, serves me right for buying the cheapest tickets eh :-S :'(

Well Guys

The weather here in SPAIN just north of Valencia, hot yesterday, cloudy this am, now 4.pm (SpAINISH TIME)

and sun has come out but so has the wind, though has calmed down a bit now. Not cold though. Think the weather not good in most of Europe, at the moment.

If Judge (Eddie) is reading this, what was the name of the campsite in Benidorm that you went to, please? As our plans have changed, may be able to get OH to try Benidorm,

PJay

1footinthegrave - 2013-05-28 4:09 PM

Well I've just chickened out again, was due to sail on Thursday, but the missus said she would kill me if we end up sitting in the van watching the rain come down, just amended our ticket again for the second time, costing me a fortune in amendments fees, serves me right for buying the cheapest tickets eh :-S :'(

I am sure you don't need reminding but I will as its you!

Eurotunnel would have been free and cheaper now I guess.

Penny wise pound foolish comes to mind.

And you would not have to camp in Dover either! It leaves from folkestone where parking overnight is a doodle in Eurotunnel own HO car Park. and its free.

Guest JudgeMental

Jeez......dont start him oft again for heavens sake!

PM sent PJ.....Give Syd a cuddle from me (if still there) :-D

Guest 1footinthegrave

My Ferry was £47.00 return, two admin fees have cost me £20 x 2 = £40, a total of £87, same crossing times by Eurotunnel £207 ;-)

so even with my amendments still £120 more expensive ;-) even budgeting for a stop near Dover I'm still quids in thanks for the friendly non sarcastic advice all the same, if I need any more you'll be the first I'll ask ;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
Curtisden - 2013-05-28 4:34 PM

And you would not have to camp in Dover either! It leaves from folkestone where parking overnight is a doodle in Eurotunnel own HO car Park. and its free.

My Ferry was £47.00 return, two admin fees have cost me £20 x 2 = £40, a total of £87, only incurred because I'm not daft enough to go if it's s**te, same crossing times by Eurotunnel £207

so even with my amendments still £120 more expensive by the tunnel,and even budgeting for a stop near Dover I'm still quids in thanks for the friendly non sarcastic advice all the same, if I need any more you'll be the first I'll ask

And to return the uncalled for remark, smart arse comes to mind, though perhaps not so smart on this occasion

Edited by 1footinthegrave 2013-05-28 4:52 PM

1footinthegrave - 2013-05-28 4:54 PM

My Ferry was £47.00 return, two admin fees have cost me £20 x 2 = £40, a total of £87, only incurred because I'm not daft enough to go if it's s**te, same crossing times by Eurotunnel £207

so even with my amendments still £120 more expensive by the tunnel,and even budgeting for a stop near Dover I'm still quids in thanks for the friendly non sarcastic advice all the same, if I need any more you'll be the first I'll ask

And to return the uncalled for remark, smart arse comes to mind, though perhaps not so smart on this occasion

Don't you really mean £47 each way?

I do hope they are still operating when you want to come home.

Also-ran ferry companies have a habit of folding at a days notice round here, the list as long as your arm

One went pop only last month out of Ramsgate.

But then My Ferry is owned by Eurotunnel! but I am sure you knew that.

There the worn out SeaFrance ships crewed buy frogs!

Anyway if you travel enough and book right the return on Euro Tunnel is as low as £43 +£10 Mh supplement making £53 single and or £106 return.

Curtisden - 2013-05-28 5:12 PM

Also-ran ferry companies have a habit of folding at a days notice round here, the list as long as your arm

Anyway if you travel enough and book right the return on Euro Tunnel is as low as £43 +£10 Mh supplement making £53 single and or £106 return.

Oh Yes and this!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-21509393

Guest JudgeMental
FYI if you get DFDS NEC show offer tickets, a return (even in high season) is approx £50 and allows free changes up until end of June *-)

JudgeMental - 2013-05-28 5:26 PM

FYI if you get NEC show offer tickets, a return (even in high season) is approx £50 and allows free changes up until end of June *-)

Now that is a good offer. but i guess its single. £ 50 return for a MH seems very cheap, even some of my mates who work for eurotunnel don't get it that cheap.

Guest JudgeMental

you guess wrong (again)..return.

I normally go eurotunnel and book before christmas, and get a return crossing for about £120 . but this year it was £170....now that is price fixing! and I remember 20 years ago having to pay £250 for a return, so count your blessings when you can.... and wait see what happens when the little englanders pull the drawbridge up!

JudgeMental - 2013-05-28 5:35 PM

you guess wrong (again)..return.

I normally go eurotunnel and book before christmas, and get a return crossing for about £120 . but this year it was £170....now that is price fixing! and I remember 20 years ago having to pay £250 for a return, so count your blessings when you can.... and wait see what happens when the little englanders pull the drawbridge up!

Can't be right all the time can we!

Went the Frequent traveller route this year and its worked out just fine as I will use all 5 tickets just in time.

Find the booking flexibility works a treat.

But next year I will be back on the ferries as I plan to go to Ireland in April and the mainland UK in the main.

I have family in the docks at Dover and we use to get very cheap crossings via P&O but that is all stopped and even the shareholder Eurotunnel discount is not what it was. So sold them for a very small profit.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Curtisden - 2013-05-28 5:16 PM

Curtisden - 2013-05-28 5:12 PM

Oh Yes and this!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-21509393

What exactly is that all about "crewed by Frogs" I guess France is OK for you, except for the French.

And no I didn't mean £47 each way, I meant what I said £47 return with a promotion emailed to me as a past customer. P&O have been running some great promotions during May with a discount code

As for ships going pop, perhaps you forget the channel tunnel has had three fires, and 2000 people were trapped when five of their trains broke down, so nothing is guaranteed to be trouble free pal whatever you pay.

And as odd as it may seem, some of us enjoy a sea crossing.

France looks cloudy and relatively damp as far ahead as they can forecast. The best of what there is looks to be along the Med. Italy similar, and so is Croatia. The only place that looks reasonably fair is Spain south of Madrid - so really Andalusia. You'll just have to travel further than you want, or pack your brolly!

Guest 1footinthegrave
Brian Kirby - 2013-05-28 6:56 PM

France looks cloudy and relatively damp as far ahead as they can forecast. The best of what there is looks to be along the Med. Italy similar, and so is Croatia. The only place that looks reasonably fair is Spain south of Madrid - so really Andalusia. You'll just have to travel further than you want, or pack your brolly!

You may have missed it Brian, we have decided to sit tight for now, we are in contact with friends heading for Italy, so far very poor weather, and friends who have a second home in Castellon-la bataille ( Bordeaux area ) where they are not having it too great either. Have rescheduled for the middle of next week, and may well do so again. ;-) we have enough rain here in Wales, we don't need to drive 1000 + miles for more :D and much further than that we'd let the plane take the strain.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Brian Kirby - 2013-05-28 8:51 PM

Can't go on for ever - can it?????? :-(

Like I said, if it does for much longer the van is going on Ebay, close to £1000 to just have it sitting outside without moving a wheel is fast becoming madness methinks. :-S about three weeks now until mid-summers day.

Lightweights!

Wife and I did a self-contained cycle tour of Denmark in tents in August a couple of years ago. We were on Danish soil for 13 days. It rained every single day at some point or the other and actually rained on us while we biked -sometimes all day - for 11 of the 13. It was also very cold for most of the time. We didn't have dry cycling clothes for the whole duration and the tents never dried out once.

We made a fist of it. It's only rain, we'll all be dead soon.

Do what the bloke who lives down our Lane's 4x4 proclaims with its giant window sticker:

One Life - Live It

Mind you he does only go to the half-a-mile-away local shop and back in it 3 or 4 times a day for cigs and beer.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Wow that sounds delightful, can't imagine why thousands jet off to find the sun can you ?

But then aviation dramatically exacerbates the global warming phenomenon; which drives more unpredictable weather events...

It rains a lot in France anyway, just happens to be raining a bit more at the moment.

I like open-water swimming when it's raining. Other activities are available. We're a long time dead.

Guest 1footinthegrave
My guess is billions of us driving around has no impact at all then, thank goodness for that, I was worried for a moment. :-S

Course it does, but everything we do has an impact on something. Ruining something a bit is maybe not as bad as ruining something a lot.

Anyway, fact remains it's still raining and we might - in our own little way - be partly responsible.

I'm off out for a run now anyway, and couldn't care less that it's raining.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Good for you Pal, come and live in Wales where we live, lots of good running, and loads of rain, that's why we like to get away from it now and again. ;-)

Guest JudgeMental
Brian Kirby - 2013-05-28 8:51 PM

Can't go on for ever - can it?????? :-(

last year there was as report saying it is cyclical and this pattern with us for 25 years...... What make me laugh is the way most head of blindly, without reference to weather reports, when a few days hard driving they can have a chance of decent weather....

Our food growing capacity has fallen drastically for a start, which means more expensive imports

http://www.greensteve.com/3630/global-warming-weather-extremes-being-prepared/

next car will be 4x4, so Mrs M can get to work and keep me in the style to which i have become accustomed!*-)

Archived