Which Damp Meter

DavidRon

DavidRon - 2013-05-27 7:59 PM

I need a Damp Meter and would be grateful if someone could recommend one.

Well David; 53 people have had a look; as I did, and wondered!

I'm not sure, because most protimeter/moisturemeter type ones have sharp prongs (for brickwork ) which I guess is the last thing you want in the interior of a van.

I'd ask my local caravan habitation/servicing garage what they use, or Google for how to check damp in a caravan (or similar)

Don't want to make any holes, even pin-pricks, do you?

cheers

alan b

Guest JudgeMental

The professional paddle style (they measure to a certain depth) the best, but probably not cheap. the prong style really not suitable I think, not from outside anyway :-S

do a google search, lots of threads come up on different forums.

Having experienced dealers using these things they are at best unreliable in my view when three different dealers give you different results using different devices on the same van in the space of a week or two.

One major national dealer said the van was riddled with damp and wanted to knock £3500 off the trade in for 'rectification', another said it had minor damp patches probably more to do with condensation from being in use and the wet weather at the time and that he was not bothered by that as the van appeared sound with no stains or watermarks, and the third who said it had no damp whatsoever and was fine.

Needless to say we did not fall for the £3500 off, but I doubt we will ever return to that dealer as it left a nasty feeling and has destroyed our previous trust in that stealership.

I have one of these which broadly confirmed the second dealer's verdict and it also showed significantly drier readings when the van had been aired through with lockers open after a rare dry and sunny day.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Tester-Detector-Timber-Moisture/dp/B003UUFT2Q/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1369747008&sr=8-4&keywords=damp+meter

Guest JudgeMental
JohnP - 2013-05-28 2:25 PM

I use and recommend the Protimeter Aquant. Non-invasive (no prongs) and costs about £200.00p. Expensive but will read to about 18-20mm depth.

See:

Thats the one that comes up as recommended when you look around...

I did some research on the various types. I found that:-

The prong ones only check surface or just below depending on how far you shove the prongs in.

The paddle type goes deeper without any holes.

It appeasr that there is no standard calibration, no information for use on cavities, differing wall material, laminated or multi material walls etc.

Neither meter was capable of detecting the leak I had on a side seam, both indicated it was dry. I had to remove the panel to prove that it was, indeed, quite damp.

What use is a meter that cannot indicate that a cavity is damp? What use is a meter that gives a reading that is not calibrated?

Different operators interpret the readings differently. Imagine doing that in say, electronic engineering!

In my opinion they are inaccurate and misleading when used on motorhome damp tests, they might give some sort of indication of a general nature i.e. "A bit damp" "A lot Damp" or "Probably not very Damp" but that's about it.

They might work on a solid wall construction, or solid timber, that is what they are designed for.

You would be better off checking with your fingers and a good torch on a rainy day.

H

JudgeMental - 2013-05-28 3:01 PM

The Protimeter's are calibrated and needs yearly calibration.....

You are right Judge, the problem is that it is calibrated for wood/brick etc and the calibration is a makers standard and applies to their make of meter only.

It seems that there is no International standard or units of measurement.

Percent readings can only be accurate if it is known what it is a percentage of.

Mind you I know a good diviner, he can find pipes, water cables and such with two bits of knitting needle stuck in a cork. As an ex engineer I know this is impossible, but it works! Maybe the damp meters have some of the same magic? :-D

H

PS I wonder if the divining rods would work as a damp detector, I must ask him.

Guest JudgeMental

Nope..its for GRP as well

"Published on 8 Jun 2012

The Protimeter Aquant is a non-invasive moisture meter used to assess and monitor the relative moisture level of building materials, fiberglass (GRP) including boats, caravans and motorhomes."

JudgeMental - 2013-05-28 3:54 PM

Nope..its for GRP as well

"Published on 8 Jun 2012

The Protimeter Aquant is a non-invasive moisture meter used to assess and monitor the relative moisture level of building materials, fiberglass (GRP) including boats, caravans and motorhomes."

I remain to b e convinced, GRP is, by it's nature, waterproof, if it delaminates as it can when the resin begins to fail or stress cracks start then, yes, water could get into it.

The crux of the matter is whether the meter will tell me that my motorhome is damp behind the panelling , in the cavity. I don't think it will. I suppose a paddle type meter might give an indication of damp in wall cladding or plywood floors and as such could be useful. I still think that meters cannot give a catagorical "Yes it's damp" or "No it's not" answer.

As a result any damp report using a simple meter check is simply a bit of guess work. the leak on my sideseam was obviously there from new, the sealant was not continuous at a join. I still have all five habitation reports that show no damp!

So I will concede that they do have a use, just not on my type of motorhome construction.

H

Guest 1footinthegrave

Nobody has asked why. ?

I know a certain large M/home dealer that I visited obviously does not use them on some of the vans they are trying to flog :D

i had to learn the hard way.... from buying a wet van that the 'pronged' type meters didnt detect... I ended up buying a Serveymaster so that i had the options of using prongs for surface moisture, radio for sub surface and then probes for areas that i couldn't easily get into.

Granted, this is nearly 400 squids, but its paid for itself.

http://www.damp-meter-direct.co.uk/product.htm#.UaYWMEr4KSp

I paid for a few pre-purchase inspections since getting stung on a previous van, most of them just use the prongs in the top 1mm of the wallboard and to be honest, it didnt really prove anything that your eyes and fingers couldn't have.

Since buying the surveymaster, I have viewed vans at dealerships that have been soaking wet and the dealers have denied knowing until i have shown them..

I have loaned it to friends for inspecting motorhomes, caravans, and building issues and they have all since purchased one..

When you think we are spending 10s of thousands on vans, in some cases more than the price of a small house, why wouldn't you spend a few hundred quid on something like this?

DavidRon - 2013-05-27 7:59 PM

I need a Damp Meter and would be grateful if someone could recommend one.

Ask your local dealer what make they use, because theirs seem more than suitable enough to find any damp that's about.!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived