How thick can you get?

Pampam

Went out at weekend for first time without EHU, I knew I couldn't use my electric kettle so have a gas one , also knew I had to use gas stove no problem . Only have a normal telly so knew I couldn't use that . But hey I've got a Roberts dab radio , so plugged it in to socket (3pin one) turned console to leisure battery ...dead zip zilch nothing. Must be a fuse .i didn't realise the fag lighter type socket was the twelve volt system ,I thought the van wiring automatically magically transformed 240 to 12 and sent it through the 3pin sockets , so a very quite night was had reading and fast asleep within half hour .but have now acquired a transformer (or sommat like that) for future use .pp

Guest peter

thicko

n pl thickos, thickoes

Brit slang a slow-witted unintelligent person Also thickie thicky

Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

I'm sure the above doesn't apply to you. :D

Or does it?. (lol)

Guest JudgeMental

Don't worry you are not alone.....Many similar posts " Dear fellow members, I am on one of H's luxury UK campsites (field with tap!) and my hover/tv/iron/hair dryer/ heating tongs/ e kettle doesn't work! OMG! what do I do...."

Yep I love it learning different stuff all the time .the peace and quiet made a change luckily it was a pleasant sunny evening, which is so unusual we didn't notice the silence that much : next thing am going to fill the water tank and see what running waters like its been a dry van up to now . Pp.

On our first trip on hookup I didnt realise I still had to have the 12v system switched on. Kept wondering why nothing worked. Even complained to the site owner that his electrics were dodgey. The poor bloke was going around testing them all! :-D

It is a bit of an alien envirnoment until you get used to it then you forget how compilicated it can seem to a newbie.

Pam, remember that when you first fill the van with water you will be filling the cold tank and the hot water boiler. Turn on the water pump and open each tap in turn (have tap at warm setting to allow water from both tanks to flow). This will clear any airlocks in the system and stop any spluttering from the taps.

Now, with you gas on, you can have lovely hot water when you are away from EHU, clever, eh?

Pam

I Know when we first got one of our vans(Compass 120)one of the things that struck me, was that none of the rocker switches, dials, gauges, were marked up as for what they did....?!

...and the handbook was of very little help, being "generic" to the whole range, yet still seemingly managing to omit some of the switches we had...:-S

As daft as it sounds now, to make things easier, I made some tidy little labels... :$

Guest pelmetman
Pampam - 2013-05-27 10:31 PM

Yep I love it learning different stuff all the time .the peace and quiet made a change luckily it was a pleasant sunny evening, which is so unusual we didn't notice the silence that much : next thing am going to fill the water tank and see what running waters like its been a dry van up to now . Pp.

Just a tip ;-) ..............that thing in the bathroom isn't plumbed in either............so will need emptying :D

Pampam - 2013-05-27 8:58 PM

Went out at weekend for first time without EHU, I knew I couldn't use my electric kettle so have a gas one , also knew I had to use gas stove no problem . Only have a normal telly so knew I couldn't use that . But hey I've got a Roberts dab radio , so plugged it in to socket (3pin one) turned console to leisure battery ...dead zip zilch nothing. Must be a fuse .i didn't realise the fag lighter type socket was the twelve volt system ,I thought the van wiring automatically magically transformed 240 to 12 and sent it through the 3pin sockets , so a very quite night was had reading and fast asleep within half hour .but have now acquired a transformer (or sommat like that) for future use .pp

They say Confession is good for the Soul. Consider your self cleansed. :-D

Worry not !

Doubtless others will add to the list but I have seen.

Caravan with a drive away awning, not sure if he was just moving pitch with awning attached, but seemed to be making speedily for the entrance !

Not for the first time, m/homes leaving with a 25 meter orange tail be hind them (Mains lead)

Caravans towed with steadies down

You are not alone :D

Rgds

Many years ago when most coachbuilts had a back door and long before the advent of built in steps we had already driven off and lost two steps when, in a flash of genius, I decided to attach the next one with a lanyard.

We didn't lose it but it was 3 inches lower after we towed it for an hour around the Highlands!

Thanks for all your advice ill take it all on board took van to dealers for mot today , the technician showed us how to use drop down tv (you have to switch it on in about 5places)and we apparently was missing the DVD remote .so that's another thing learnt . There's so much to learn I still don't know whether I really fancy filling tanks with water,I think I'm more of a boil the kettle and wash the pots kind of gal .pp

Pampam - 2013-05-30 8:06 PM

There's so much to learn I still don't know whether I really fancy filling tanks with water,I think I'm more of a boil the kettle and wash the pots kind of gal .pp

Only one tank to fill with water Pam - and if you don't it makes filling the kettle quite difficult - unless you have a water carrier or bucket in the kitchen.

Just be darned sure you put water in the tank marked water and diesel in the tank marked diesel - you wouldn't be the first to get that wrong (no, I haven't - yet!) as it is a very expensive mistake to make!

Any questions please do ask as nobody should ever put you down or call you thick for not knowing as we all had to learn - and if it's any consolation I'm still learning after too many more than 40 years at it!

Only to say that we all started as newbies. If you see a fellow m/homer on a camp site or elsewhere, and have a query, ask the question.

You might meet the odd one that is offish, but the rest of us, once we start talking, we never stop :D

Rgds

What I'd really like to do is just have water going to my kitchen sink and not the shower and bathroom sink :and I wonder if it costs you more in diesel if you travel with a full tank of water and if its safe sloshing about under the van when travelling?

Guest pelmetman
Pampam - 2013-05-31 8:06 PM

What I'd really like to do is just have water going to my kitchen sink and not the shower and bathroom sink :and I wonder if it costs you more in diesel if you travel with a full tank of water and if its safe sloshing about under the van when travelling?

Blimey 8-)...............you really are a virgin :D..............and remind me off another lady of this parish who once had her tank filled with wine B-)

Pampam - 2013-05-31 8:06 PM

Can I ask why limited water supply Pam? If you don't open the taps in the bathroom or shower the water won't exude - isn't that good enough!!

The full or empty water tank conundrum has been discussed several times and the general consensus was that 100 litres of water weighs 100 kg and 100 kg either way on a 3500 kg van is not going to make much difference to fuel use.

If you stay on sites you can travel light and faff about getting water when you arrive, or not as you wish, but if you camp off site better to keep the fresh tank full and the waste tank empty as you can never be sure where the next tap or drain will be.

Believe me, water is perfectly safe sloshing about under the van as is the diesel in the fuel tank so don't worry about either - just do your own thing whatever you are happy with and enjoy!

Tracker yes I think it's the thought of the more things you "use" the more things there is to go wrong . Daft isn't it ? Does everyone fill their tank I haven't used the water heater yet obviously either, am such a pessimist lol

Pampam - 2013-06-01 6:09 PM

Tracker yes I think it's the thought of the more things you "use" the more things there is to go wrong . Daft isn't it ? Does everyone fill their tank I haven't used the water heater yet obviously either, am such a pessimist lol

Things will go wrong Pam whether you use them or not but you will only discover what has gone wrong when you try to use it!

Based on years of experience both of things working perfectly for years on end to some things never working properly so I tend to think more in terms of realism rather than pessimism!

On the whole most vans are fairly reliable and most people get to have holidays without anything breaking or failing - so I am told - trouble is you only ever get to hear about those that break!

Is there anything in particular that worries you?

Go on - be adventurous - fill the tank - turn the hot water on and try it both on gas and on mains if it does both.

Much better to do this at home so that any issues can be resolved before you use it camped away from home.

And if it does not work please, just ASK!!

Pampam - 2013-06-01 6:09 PM

it's the thought of the more things you "use" the more things there is to go wrong . Daft isn't it ? Does everyone fill their tank

Well you are really not alone Pampam; vans are more complicated than many people need.

As far as your water system is concerned, just keep the pump switched off when not in use.

No; not everyone fills their tank; and many of us don't drink from the tank! we keep separate bottles of water, maybe 3-5 litres.

If you have a handbook it could be good bedtime reading; if not I believe there's a book out there that might help; it's been mentioned here a few times, but I forget.

Not all ways are the same; dare to be different,

cheers

alan b

snowie - 2013-06-01 7:45 PM

Not everyone fills their tank; and many of us don't drink from the tank! we keep separate bottles of water, maybe 3-5 litres.

If you have a handbook it could be good bedtime reading; if not I believe there's a book out there that might help; it's been mentioned here a few times, but I forget.

Just to add balance, Alan is right in what he says, but many of us do fill our tanks, and keep them as full as possible 'cos we never know where the next tap might be, and many of us do drink tank water and have been doing so for many years without ill effect! However most of us also flush the tank out with genuine UK tapolene regularly as the Chlorine and other chemicals in tap water do a pretty fair job of keeping the tank water safe to drink.

You will no doubt develop your own preferences on this and other things as experience builds and the apprehension of the unknown subsides!!

If all else fails and you really can't get it to work, as a last resort do what everyone else does - resort to reading the instructions!

OK Pampam;

I'll go right back to the beginning;

I've no idea how long you've had your van.............................it might help to know

I've no idea how many years you've been doing this.........................ditto

I've no idea what van you have..............................................................ditto

I look forward to learning more..............................................................ditto

take care

alan b

Archived