Strange insurance Quote

Earthmover

Hi,

Just in the process of ringing round for a insurance quote for our M/home. My current insurer has put the cost up by £28-00. I rang Caravan Guard, the young lady came back with a quote some £180 higher still, after telling her she must have got that wrong, she spoke to her supervisor and then said we will beat your existing quote by £25 but we will have to charge an extra £100-00 which you will get back after 90 days as a cash back.!!. Anyone else come across this before?.

Cheers EM.

Yes - one of 'em tried that on me a couple of years back, can't remember which one, but I called their bluff, refused, and made a counter offer of straight price with no faffing about.

They originally said no but phoned me back two days later to say yes - by which time I had already insured elsewhere!

I can perhaps see why they might want do this cashback thing for monthly paying people as maybe a way of securing continuation in the early months but I have no idea why they try it on for those of us who always pay in full?

Earthmover - 2013-05-30 10:25 AM

Hi,

Just in the process of ringing round for a insurance quote for our M/home. My current insurer has put the cost up by £28-00. I rang Caravan Guard, the young lady came back with a quote some £180 higher still, after telling her she must have got that wrong, she spoke to her supervisor and then said we will beat your existing quote by £25 but we will have to charge an extra £100-00 which you will get back after 90 days as a cash back.!!. Anyone else come across this before?.

Cheers EM.

So that next year they can quote you their full price + any increase & state the £100 was an introductory offer which is applicable for the FIRST YEAR ONLY.

I've come across this before for other Insurances, but not for the Motorhome.

We had this when we moved my wife's car insurance to the Post Office. The price didn't go up after a year and my conclusion was that it was a way of borrowing money at no interest. Remember the cut-price record business model of selling the records almost at cost and relying on the interest earned in the 90 day period before the money was due to the record company?

Archived