A63 / N10 Bordeaux to San Sebastian

Tracker

As far as I can tell from a web search parts of this road became toll in late April this year?

I understand that due to ongoing roadworks the tolls will be half price - at least for some classes - for the time being - possibly up to late 2013 or early 2014 - depending on which website you read?

Every website says something different but as far as I can tell the total toll for an under 3.5 tonne and under 3.0 metre high motorhome in Class 2 during this 'temporary' period looks like being between 7 and 15 Euros depending on which website you look at?

Probably well worth paying to speed the journey as the alternatives are quite a bit slower and longer?

Does anybody know different, or have more accurate info please?

http://www.abelard.org/france/motorway-aires18-n10_a63.php

http://www.autoroutes.fr/index.htm

Guest JudgeMental
pelmetman - 2013-05-30 5:01 PM

Being a skinflint I'd be interested in an alternative route :D

Jeez...what a pair!lol

Guest pelmetman
JudgeMental - 2013-05-30 5:32 PM

pelmetman - 2013-05-30 5:01 PM

Being a skinflint I'd be interested in an alternative route :D

Jeez...what a pair!lol

Well you could always fit a tow bar Eddie ;-)...............and tow me down............then I'd save on the fuel as well >:-)

Jeez...what a pair!lol

Does it ever occur to you to stop being a prat and start being helpful! lol!!!

As, like you, I've put lol and !!! it must also be a joke - hope that you too see the funny side!!!

johnnerontheroad - 2013-05-30 7:12 PM

Used it this week toll for B class charged 12.50 euros twice so 25 euros, did see a sign for 1.80 euros for cars. There is no none toll road near so you have to cough up and smile >:-(

Dave

Thanks Dave - looks as if your lovely A class might be both over 3.5 tonnes and 3.0 metres high, which might explain it?

Leave the A63 and via Mont de Marsan and Orthez to the Somport Tunnel (free) and on to Zaragoza adds about 45 mins to the route but is far more scenic and enjoyable - well we think so anyway!

Hi we travelled on this road just over two weeks ago northbound. The section from Biarritz to Bordeaux had extensive road works with contraflow for long stretches. This did not prevent trucks from coming right up behind our van for virtually the whole of the contraflow. In addition quite a few of the aires are closed so it was difficult to stop for a rest, some that were signed as if closed were actually open but we only realised that when we passed them. We were charged quite a bit as well but sadly we have thrown away the receipts so I cannot remember how much it was. I can only say it was a relief to leave this road at Boreaux.

Tracker - 2013-05-30 7:20 PM

johnnerontheroad - 2013-05-30 7:12 PM

Used it this week toll for B class charged 12.50 euros twice so 25 euros, did see a sign for 1.80 euros for cars. There is no none toll road near so you have to cough up and smile >:-(

Dave

Thanks Dave - looks as if your lovely A class might be both over 3.5 tonnes and 3.0 metres high, which might explain it?

Yep, and the toll both's are too high or too low to reach so I had to hang out of the window to put the cash in, they have staff going from both to both to help, very bad design so why not manned both's? Also the road is all works and dangerous.

Dave

Tracker - 2013-05-30 7:40 PM

Did they rate you as Class 3 or Class 4 Dave?

http://www.autoroutes.fr/en/vehicle-classification.htm

VERY broadly speaking the tolls seem to be, as a percentage of basic Class 1 car rates, Class 2 = 150%, Class 3 = 225% and Class 4 = 300% - which can get a bit scary over long distances!

The LCD on the both said Class "B" that's all I can remember and there was no receipt unless you had to press another button I could not reach for that. The sign for 1.80 euros was a home made thing not a proper sign.

South of Bordeaux take the right split A660 towards Mois...Sanguinet D216 ....Parentis en Born . Mimizan

Cap Breton & if you like back on toll road.

Easy route, lovely villages....gone this way lots of times !

Phil

Manu - 2013-05-30 8:48 PM

South of Bordeaux take the right split A660 towards Mois...Sanguinet D216 ....Parentis en Born . Mimizan

Cap Breton & if you like back on toll road.

Easy route, lovely villages....gone this way lots of times !

Phil

That's interesting Phil - thanks. My recollections from the odd excursion towards the coast on the West side of the N10/A63 was of narrow twisty and bumpy roads with lots of 50 kph speed limits and the generous planting of speed cameras - but I would be delighted to be wrong.

Hey Rich.... av you changed your van again ? ?

Fab part of France, good Aires at Biscarosse by the beach & lake, Mimizan & Cap Breton, depends how quick you want to travel....never in a rush on the way to Portugal .

Stay safe all....off to good ol Norfolk for a couple of weeks, got the wellies !

Phil

Guest JudgeMental
Tracker - 2013-05-30 7:06 PM

Jeez...what a pair!lol

As, like you, I've put lol and !!! it must also be a joke - hope that you too see the funny side!!!

your the joke pal procrastinating over a few quid.....Pathetic

Manu - 2013-05-31 12:27 PM

Hey Rich.... av you changed your van again ? ?

Fab part of France, good Aires at Biscarosse by the beach & lake, Mimizan & Cap Breton, depends how quick you want to travel....never in a rush on the way to Portugal .

Stay safe all....off to good ol Norfolk for a couple of weeks, got the wellies !

Phil

We're always in a rush to get to Portugal, we love it. Dash down, crawl back!

Last time we drove the old N10/D10E towards Biarritz was Jan this year and we were guessing where the peage will commence and thought that it would be just south of Junc 18 with the old N134/D834. Which would allow drivers to get off before the peage if they're going to the Somport tunnel, which was the route we used to come home.

JudgeMental - 2013-05-31 1:06 PM

Tracker - 2013-05-30 7:06 PM

Jeez...what a pair!lol

your the joke pal procrastinating over a few quid.....Pathetic

So not only are you mentally impaired you are unable read either in your haste to be unpleasant.

I quote from my original posting -

"Probably well worth paying to speed the journey as the alternatives are quite a bit slower and longer?"

Which is not quite the same as finding out what the cost is ahead of paying it - similarly we tend to use the tunnel because it is more convenient than the ferry despite the extra cost - but you had to have a snide dig about that too.

What is it with you - judged mental does suit you as a name - give it a rest there's a good troll.

And no, I ain't joking now.

I think making digs does no one any favours. It all depends on what your travel plans are. If you are touring that area then it is unlikely you would wish to use the autoroute but if you are travelling to or from Spain then time is of more relevance and paying the tolls may be a better solution. It is irritating that there is no obvious N road as an alternative, that may come in time, but then again it will attract the many trucks that use this route so may be not the most pleasant of experience. Fortunately it is only a relatively short stretch compared with a total trip through France so if you need to go that way, then probably cough up, complain and complete your journey.

On the way back from Portugal this year we encountered quite a few of the automated tolls. Every one saw the height of our 'van and showed the toll for class 4 - All i did was press the red button on the machine and when the speaker blurted at me i shouted "camping car".

The class went down to 2 and the toll figure dropped dramatically.

The machines are totally impractical for motorhomes - the ticket comes out too high or too low and if you pay by cash the receptacle is about knee height to a flee - especially as in one of these which refused to take 1€ coins it kept spitting 'em back out to an even lower cup. What a PITA to use.

Morning Rich & folks, i travelled a new toll road in the Autumn last.

Coming South take the A62 then take the new A65 to Pau....empty road, about 12 Euros only 1 toll booth.

Then head up towards Oloron St Marie & through the Somport.

We are all somewhat different regarding the drive, i prefer to saunter but then its all about time....for me i have plenty but for others it may be a dash to the sun & back which then makes the tolls viable....not always about deep pockets !

Phil

Manu - 2013-06-01 9:03 AM

Morning Rich & folks, i travelled a new toll road in the Autumn last.

Coming South take the A62 then take the new A65 to Pau....empty road, about 12 Euros only 1 toll booth.

Then head up towards Oloron St Marie & through the Somport.

We are all somewhat different regarding the drive, i prefer to saunter but then its all about time....for me i have plenty but for others it may be a dash to the sun & back which then makes the tolls viable....not always about deep pockets !

Phil

Hi Phil - the A65 - of course I forgot about that new toll road! I noticed it on the road atlas but as my Autoroute is of 2007 vintage it does not show, and Autoroute is where I do most of the long distance planning! I'll get a new 2013 Autoroute drekkly! The French websites show the A65 as 25 Euros Class 1 toll, 37.50 Euros Class 2 probably which looks to be broadly in line with using the N10/A63?

http://www.autoroutes.fr/FCKeditor/UserFiles/File/Tarifs%2022%20f%C3%A9vrier%202013.pdf

When heading for the Costas in March this year we went off the N10 via Dax and Oleron and the Somport and it was a bit twisty but quiet and not a bad roads to the Somport.

Onwards to Zaragoza etc using the long stretch of free dual carriageway from North of Huesca and I must say overall it seemed a more pleasant and scenic route than via Bayonne, Pamplona etc - even if it was hissing with rain, freezing cold and blowing a gale - or was it just that we had not traveled that way before!

Going to Northern Spain along to La Coruna shortly and am looking at either following the coast from France in Spain as usual or maybe diverting inland for a change via Dax, Pamplona, Vitoria, picking up the coast again at Bilbao. Decisions, decisions!! Time will not be of the essence as ever but scenery will!

Archived