Rats and wiring

Vernon

Arriving at a site in France we met a couple who had a caravan and Honda 4x4. They had been on site a week and it had perpetually rained, on the last day they started the car and the emission light came on. As the car was only 18 months old and under warranty they contacted Honda and within the hour a mechanic came out and couldn't find the fault. Taking it to the local Honda garage, the mechanic didn't need to check it as he announced, that a rat had found the warm engine as a home, and because in the last two years the manufacturers had changed the material and now the cover on the electric cable has been made of maize the rats like to eat through the covering and causes the shorting of the wiring. Honda kindly replaced the wiring free of charge even though it wasn't covered un the warranty. The garage sold him a can of spray that repels rats, just spray in the engine compartment once a week. As our Motorhome was only 18months the guy kindly sprayed my engine compartment just in case.

Now has any other motorhomer heard of this problem. Is it another myth or has the motor manufacturers started using a maize sheathing for the wiring? I seem to remember something along these lines sometime ago. As an aside, a week before in Italy, the engine emission light had come on and it was on the third attempt that it went out, so you can imagine when the guy explained his problem, I soon had my head under then bonnet!

Not heard that one but many moons ago in the 70s we had a car/caravan outfit and went to Germany in it. Car was a jaguar XJ6 and had a lot of soundproofing under the bonnet. On arriving in Lorch on the Rhein being a terraced site you had to park the cars away from the van. We went down to the car park one day and can't remember why but decided to check the oil before we set off. Opened the bonnet to find a mouse had made a nest in the soundproofing on top of the engine and was complete with 6 small baby mice. I remember the girls wouldn't let me use the car so as not to disturb them!

can't remember how long they stayed or what happened after-just jogged my memory reading this post

Mike

Archived