Fresh Water Gauge not working (Again)

Cliffy

I know this comes up regularly but I have done the de limescaling bit etc. and now want to check the gauge head.

The thing is it is somewhere under the insulation around the tank and the tank is sandwiched between the waste water tank and the floor of the van.

Before I tackled taking it all off I thought I would check the in-line connections of the cables going to both the waste and the fresh water tanks I checked the waste water 2 pin connection and cleaned them and low and behold the waste water gauge was working again, first time in ages. I did the sane to the fresh water 5 pin in-line connection and it made no difference. I then checked for voltage with a multi-meter and could not find any significant voltage.

My question is: Should there be any voltage or is it just a data cable reading resistance?

This is a link to the wiring diagram for the van habitation. http://www.sargentltd.co.uk/Autotrail_schematics_2003.pdf

Hi. Looking at your wiring diagram it appears that both sensors measure resistance to negative (earth).If the fresh water sensor is not showing any depth I would suspect that the earth lead is defective. You could check this by running a wire between the sensor earth connection and chassis.

Brian B.

ps If it is not this check the 8 pin connector on the PSU.

Thanks for all you advice, I decided to clean the tank again.I put the cleaning fluid in to a quarter tank of water and drove to France. It is working perfectly now. Of course we were going to France anyway. :-D :-D

Archived