burstner window

george1954

hello all, i have a fiat ducato burstner t615, the window on the off/side by the fixed bed has come apart , the window will still lock from the inside,but the outer is is flapping in the wind,can i fix it with plastic nuts and bolts and mastic,any ideas would be grateful, anna.m

Guest peter

You may have to remove the inner frame first as a fixing that passes through the wall may have come off. I'm not sure but it seems logical that this is how they are fixed in place so nothing shows on thw outside.

You could also give Camper U/K a ring as they are Burstner agents and you will find them very helpful.

Don't try and do some sort of bodge up repair as you could damage the frame and those windows a pretty expesive to replace.

Contact a Burstner dealer. There was and is a known problem with the Burstner windows and the manufacturer of the windows arranged for a fix to be carried out free of charge to all windows whether they had separated or not. I have a friend who was notified of this problem on his t615 and took it to Chelston motorhomes who carried out the fix free of charge. His had not however separated yet but they still had to do them all.

They should carry out the fix to all your windows.

Cant remember the name of the window manufacturer but the Burstner agent will/should know all about it.

The fix involves re sealing and fixing with studs through the two layers.

Will try to remember the name of the window manufacturer but it should make no difference, Burstner dealers will do it.

Dave

Just goggled Burstner Window recall and loads of info on it and how to arrange rectification. Windows made by Polyplastic.. Definately a free fix to all windows.Hope that helps.

Burstners own website has details under 'after sales' heading.

george1954 - 2013-06-01 9:15 PM

hello all, i have a fiat ducato burstner t615, the window on the off/side by the fixed bed has come apart , the window will still lock from the inside,but the outer is is flapping in the wind,can i fix it with plastic nuts and bolts and mastic,any ideas would be grateful, anna.m

Apparently this burstner window recall only affected burstners built between 1998_ 2005

rudders - 2013-06-02 8:15 AM

george1954 - 2013-06-01 9:15 PM

Apparently this burstner window recall only affected burstners built between 1998_ 2005

Wouldn,t mind betting that the OP,s t615 falls between those dates anyway but he/she needs to come back to the forum and clarify.

Dave

Does not look as if the OP is too bothered, not been back to see what has been said by the above contributors or at least not posted a reply.

Perhaps they have got it sorted and its not too serious a problem

I would have hoped for a reply so that others with the same problem might benefit.

Have to wait and see

Guest peter

Don't hold your breath. Many people ask for advice and get it freely. They then act on it and don't have the good manners to acknowledge the contributors that tried to help them.

It's a sad fact of life these days I'm afraid.

george1954 - 2013-06-03 10:51 PM

sorry, i am new to this,

i have e mailed,burstner,on holiday until 5/06/13,

polyplastics no reply yet, will ley you know, anna m,[/quote

Thanks for that, let us know how you get on and what year your motorhome is , others may have the same problem but a dealer has told me that the majority should now have been done. Owners were informed individually of the problem but that assumes of course that they know who owners are after what may be several since new.

I have had a chance to look at a friends 2005 T615 Burstner Harmony and the fix that was done involved re sealing the joint between the layers where necessary and studs through each corner

thanks for your info, my van is a fiat ducato 2.8,year you guessed it 2005,

polyplastics is no longer trading, i contacted sister company

meredian plastics who were unable to help

i got a quote for a new window from

camper uk, 497.00. supply only,

I still think you will find that it is Burstners responsibility. All the recall notifications came from Burstner, if they cant get reimbursed from Polyplastic for whatever reason that,s their problem.

I would speak to your nearest Burstner dealer specifically relating to the window recall and of course Burstner again

I,ve just looked on the Burstner website and it specifically refers to this known problem. It also says that you should contact your nearest Burstner dealer.

It also says that there is no charge for the materials or labour involved in the rectification

I am not clever enough to post a link but if you go to

www.buerstner.com (note the spelling of buerstner)

then the link bottom right 'after sales service'

then the link 'more information'

then finally 'Inspection of windows of Burstner caravans (1998 to 2005)

If no joy with Burstner(or it just looks as if it'll be long winded),what about looking at this sort of company-

http://eeco-ltd.co.uk/

http://caravanwindows.co.uk/

(although both those, seem to link to the same company).

Just try "googling" along the lines of "caravan window repair"..

(..I'd always assumed,wrongly by the sounds of it, that the failing Burstner windows of a few years back,were just the "skylights" over the cabs... :-S )

Edit; After following Chudders directions through the Burstner website,it does sound pretty encouraging.. ;-)

george1954 - 2013-06-05 4:15 PM

thanks for your info, my van is a fiat ducato 2.8,year you guessed it 2005,

polyplastics is no longer trading, i contacted sister company

meredian plastics who were unable to help

i got a quote for a new window from

camper uk, 497.00. supply only,

Polyplastic is Dutch, based in Tholand, NL. Link to website here: http://tinyurl.com/l53v67n

They seem still to be trading from their website, though this is not proof positive. However, you do need to verify that the windows in your van are theirs.

• 2 weeks later...
george1954 - 2013-06-13 7:22 PM

:-( i got a reply from burstner,the recall finished last year

no luck there, still waiting for quotes for new window, cant find

any fix kit yet, the window is mane by polyplastic,

Don,t think I would readily accept that from Burstner especially as they still refer to the recall and fix on their website. Perhaps they would explain what lengths they went to locate current owners. My friend was contacted by them and he is by no means the original owner.

Looking at the 'fix' if they wont pay I think I would have a go myself, nothing to lose.

Reseal between the layers IF they have separated and suitable studs or plastic type bolts at each corner.

On his if window layers had not separated they just fitted corner studs. I bet if you contact a Burstner dealer they would still have them

i contacted burstner they said speak to a burstner dealer as

the recall is finished,they suggest a new window

i did a repair using,araldite,seems ok

i cant find the plastic rivets,also there is a small crack in the

window so i may go for a new one, got aother quote for 420.00,

delivered, thanks for all your help so far,

Guest JudgeMental
george1954 - 2013-06-20 12:28 PM

Hmmm...You dont say how old your van is but Sales of goods act requires goods to be of a "merchantable quality and "fit for purpose" for 6 years.

you can download the template letter. fill in your details and send registered post to dealer giving 14 days. or else you will start proceedings. if they still dont play ball a summons cost £50 ( lot less then a new window *-))

It is a game, most dont bother and the dealers/ retailer get away with it...... I have played it many times, and yet to need a court order, the letter normally enough .....Simply dont let them get away with it. (with the obvious caveat that van not yet 6 years old)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/theoneshow/consumer/2009/07/03/sale_of_goods_act_letter_downl.html

But, did you contact Polyplastic in Holland? I still suggest you do, as they gave their own undertaking to replace defective windows. All Burstner will do is to pass the claim back to Polyplastic - with their labout etc costs added on.

Brian Kirby - 2013-06-20 1:26 PM

But, did you contact Polyplastic in Holland? I still suggest you do, as they gave their own undertaking to replace defective windows. All Burstner will do is to pass the claim back to Polyplastic - with their labout etc costs added on.

OR

Miriad who are the UK agents for Polyplastic windows www.miriad-products.com

Archived