WiFi in France

Knaus

Knaus - 2013-06-02 10:51 AM

Hi

Have just got a laptop and off to France this week. It has ~Windows 8. How do I get a WiFi connection there. I know I have to be in a place that has WiFi for public use.

Thanks for any help.

Sometimes you will find free hotspots ( MacDonalds - motorway services etc. ) and some campsites have it available, Sometimes free on sites - sometimes a charge per hour / day / week..

You get a code number from site reception to enter on your laptop.

On sites it's sometimes limited to an area near the WiFi mast - so if you intend to use it a lot, watch where you pitch.

Don't often use it myself but no doubt some of the enthusiaists will be along to tell you more !

:-D

As Stated above. We are currently in Spain Had no problems getting connected, some free campsites, some only have access at say reception or bar, but a lot know have it all over the sites

Hope the weather has improved in France, we left because of rain and High winds, which have also extended to Spain as far as Tarragona. Now in Calpe and hot with just a breeze lovely

PJay

Have a look at this site - www.motorhomewifi.com/

We've bought one and it certainly works in this country, hopefully it will when we go to France in a few weeks, but it's not cheap.

We had problems getting Wifi connections last year in France, sitting in McDs is not something I want to repeat, and Campsites charge as much as they feel they can get away with - too much!

Many sites make no charge but I've heard of one charging €5 an hour - so check before you use the Wifi system.

We saw the Wifi company at the Peterborough Show and there were a lot of people making enquiries - perhaps someone else on these forums bought one - be interesting to see how they went on with the device.

Guest JudgeMental
Roryboys Dad - 2013-06-02 11:50 AM

Have a look at this site - www.motorhomewifi.com/

We've bought one and it certainly works in this country, hopefully it will when we go to France in a few weeks, but it's not cheap.

we have a similar USB booster and it works in the respect of increasing the wifi range significantly. BUT! not many routers are unlocked in this day and age, and most require a passcode. *-)

JudgeMental - 2013-06-02 2:32 PM

we have a similar USB booster and it works in the respect of increasing the wifi range significantly. BUT! not many routers are unlocked in this day and age, and most require a passcode. *-)

I agree with 'Judge' most wifi routers especially in France are locked and need a passcode. So wifi extenders will only work say on a campsite to improve reception or in a car park adjacent to a McD's

Many of the SFR routers in France offer the 'FON' service if you have access to that.

Guest JudgeMental
ian81 - 2013-06-02 2:02 PM

JudgeMental - 2013-06-02 2:32 PM

I agree with 'Judge' most wifi routers especially in France are locked and need a passcode. So wifi extenders will only work say on a campsite to improve reception or in a car park adjacent to a McD's

Many of the SFR routers in France offer the 'FON' service if you have access to that.

And why I mentioned it.... The post I answered gives the impression that if you buy the units mentioned, you will get free wifi everywhere, which is a nonsense and disingenuous.

If a router is password protected, any method of bypassing this and gaining access even just to browse the internet is a criminal offence. I work in IT and yes I know its possible but its also illegal.

That said, some good news is that I heard on MHF that SFR who are like BT in France are to make their new customer routers automaticlly opted into the FON network. There are currently millions of SFR Hotspots that SFR customers can access like BT customers can access BT Openzone here. With the use of a wifi antenna I can pretty much get online via Openzone most places in the UK.

The problem in France is that in the past you had to opt into the FON network so nobody did. Well if what I hear is correct and new SFR customers have to actually now opt out of their routers being FON enabled then the FON network in France will grow quite nicely over the next couple of years.

I find our directional wifi antenna very good in Europe. You do need to work at it and tweak it to get a signal and I use INSSIDER software to tune the antenna in to get the best signal http://download.cnet.com/inSSIDer/3000-18508_4-10848357.html

I reckon an a 50% success rate in Europe from where ever I am parked.

For some sort of security change your router password from the factory default to something including numbers.

Don't open email or attachments if you don't know who it's from.

Change the name of your router from "Chopsuey 1234" etc. to something more obscure.

Hacking is still possible but it will not be easy.

H

PS Google "echelon" "sigint" "prism" if you want to feel insecure!

Never mention Bomb, Assasination, Target, etc. or they will find you. Damn, I just did.

In St Andrews yesterday at the far end of the west links. Set up the router with the Yagi aerial and picked up "open" wifi from The Scores Hotel and Cairnsmill camping "free", I would guess hotel about 1 mile away and camp site about 1 1/2 miles all with clear line of site. Very impressed and looking forward to France and Spain in September.

Barryd999 - 2013-06-09 11:13 AM

some good news is that I heard on MHF that SFR who are like BT in France are to make their new customer routers automaticlly opted into the FON network. There are currently millions of SFR Hotspots that SFR customers can access like BT customers can access BT Openzone here. With the use of a wifi antenna I can pretty much get online via Openzone most places in the UK.

Thanks for that Barry; I've been hoping that this would happen. I look forward to being able to get access more easily and extensively; it will be good to hear as the system develops,

regards

alan b

Currently in France and travelling around for the last 3-4 weeks, we have found a variety of wifi on offer (or not as the case may be!).

Some campsites you get free access, often having to sit near bar or reception to get decent signal, whilst on others you can pay to have by the day/hours or whatever, but can be expensive.

Quite a few siteswe are finding use a 'national' network called Ozmosis, and this can be purchased on line (or by card at reception) and is reasonably charged if you want long-term. We are on a site now for almost a month and the cost is €40 for unlimited use. If you are travlling around, check from the Ozmosis website where it is available.

When using a 'pay' network, we always tend to turn the computer on when on the pitch to see if there is any wi-fi signal available prior to going into reception to purchase it.

If you have a smartphone, and regularly enjoy a cup of coffee (maybe somehing stronger) many of the 'Salons de the' and the bars/restaurants have free wifi, though you mostly have to ask for teh password.

It is usually easy to find free wifi somewhere, but you are usually required to register to use it. Something to do with accepting terms of useage etc. Just do that and you will get a message you are successfully connected etc. then browse away!. Sorry if that is a bit basic, but we spent several frustrating minutes until we worked out that was required., and on more than one occasion too!

This reply comes with a caveat - This is my experience ONLY over the past 3 months. 

The best WiFi is at McDonalds or Starbucks. There are no restrictions on downloads and it fast and free but limited coverage. Anyone who seriously thinks they can sit outside a McD and use a WiFi extender/router to pull in a clean strong signal from across the carpark is dreaming.

Camp WiFi is pretty much rubbish. Yes there are some great examples like Bonterra in Benicassin, Los Madrilas in Isla Plana and Le Druides in Carnac but most is not worth the exhorbidant price you will pay. And you don't find out how bad or good it is until you do pay. The best WiFi we had was at an Aire in Puerto Gelves - Seville and it was free. 

If your thinking of buying a WiFi extender then don't. I did and it's pointless. Where the WiFi is good it doesn't matter and where it is poor it doesn't help. 

It's not the signal strength that counts it the bandwidth over the entire WiFi network that does. 200 people all using a campground network can reduce the bandwidth to dial-up speed unless it's a top of the line network and few campgrounds can afford that outlay. The best ones are those that supply free WiFi in the Bar area or supply you with the password if you buy a drink (a lot cheaper than buying a hour for 5Euro, which is pretty much the standard charge at most of the camping grounds we have stayed at). 

Don't laugh the Caravan Club charges 5Pound an hour. 

Also be aware that virtually every campground WiFi network restrict the use of P2P connections and large uploads/downloads. So you won't be updating your virus software or operating system or sending hi-res photos to the rels back home. Even getting Emails and posting on Facebook can be a exercise in frustration.

If you're taking a tablet. BUY A GOOD ONE – Preferably an iPad but whatever suits your budget.

Forget the dinkys**t mini stuff buy a big one – they're better. Size won't be important. Most of the time you will be walking or biking around with a backpack, shoulder bag or some sort of pack full of travel essentials like water, camera, maps, food, etc. A larger Tablet isn't going to take  up any more space than a mini nor add any significant weight.

If you're taking a Laptop - BUY A GOOD ONE – If you want to take a laptop get the best quality lightweight version that you can afford. Forget anything that doesn't have at least 3 USB ports or that isn't compatible with your Camera or other tech gear you may be taking. Get one with good hard drive capacity – remember you won't be able to store all those high res photos from your camera on a Tablet without seriously degrading it's memory capacity. And if you have already loaded the Tablet with Music, Video and Games there won't be much room left for your travel snaps or movies.

VERY IMPORTANT: Check the distance between the USB ports and make sure that you are able to plug in ALL your peripherals at one time especially if your peripherals draw their power from the USB port. Some USB adaptors for Memory Cards and other devices are WIDER than the standard USB plug and will prevent you from using another device in an adjacent USB port at the same time.

These are just a few of the things that we have experienced so far. I hope they help.

One of the best uses for an iPad

iPadSatNav.jpg.b5507d7fcbaf8ee1b3a6affbd30ca0e7.jpg

Well Paul unfortunately I am one of those from "dreamland" that has the totally opposite experience from yourself.

I purchased a cheap USB booster and attached it to a Yagi aerial I purchased, and also to a DIY Yagi and set it up in the car park about 50m from my local MacDonalds. Absolutely no difficulty in obtaining a good signal. On another thread I indicated I used the same set up and picked up a good signal from a camp site about 1 1/2 miles away again with no problem.

At the moment I am at home and I am using this setup connected to a WiFi again about 50m from home with no problems.

Off to Spain in September and will be very interested to see how the system perform. I now have a 3G dongle for back up and will soon be experimenting with an additional aerial to the dongle

Archived