Habitation check

plople

This file lists the tasks that should be carried out during a habitation service:

http://www.caravanservicing-uk.co.uk/AWS_Motorhome_Annual_Service_Checksheet_140809.pdf

It's worth being aware that, although correct operation of gas appliances is checked, cleaning the appliance is (normally) not included in the service.

For example, gas-fuelled fridges will need their flue cleaned (how regularly will depend on how much the fridge is used on gas) for the appliance to operate efficiently. Cleaning a fridge's flue may not be possible with the fridge remaining in situ and displacing the fridge enough to allow flue-cleaning to be performed can result in a significant labour charge.

As you are new to motorcaravanning, investing in this book will be helpful

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0857331248/?tag=hydra0b-21&hvadid=11072782685&ref=asc_df_0857331248

When you look at the list of checks that are carried out on the Motorhome Annual Habitation Service Checksheet it's comforting to know that every time your motorhome is subjected to this check your pride and joy isn't, or about to be, a death trap on the road, or a sponge on wheels. It might be an added expense but very worthwhile. For as long as we have been caravanning and then motorhoming we have never neglected to have an annual check and service carried out. There will always be owners who are competent to carry out the servicing themselves, well good luck to them. I've seen self servicing first hand and if a self serviced motorhome are offered for sale I would be inclined to get a second opinion or walk away. The Approved Workshop Checksheet is very comprehensive and the checks are carried out by very experienced people. If you are investing thousands of pounds in a motorhome then it's worthwhile. Wouldn't it be a good idea for every dealer to demand a current checksheet whenever a motorhome changes hands. The base vehicle service has more control because of warranty issues and later on, MOT's. Whenever I have parted with a motorhome there has always been all the service records from commencement of ownership.

Guest JudgeMental
What service..they don't service anything, Waste of money IMO. If you have a secure motion or other safety valve, gas system will drop out if a leak anyway, so no need for a test of that either. Most important thing if a CB is the yearly damp check to keep water ingress warrenty up to date....

I think that a habtation check is a must do. How frequently is a matter of how often you use your van. If you are paying for a habitation check don't go to your supplying dealer (where you bought it) as it will pass with flying colours on the damp test ever time. I used to work at a dealers so I know that this is true. best to get an independant like Dave Newell as you know you will (A) have work done not just ticked (B) know that it will be an honest appraisal of your van © be confident that if more work is required then it genuinely does

A hab check is not a legal requirement and it is up to the individual how often, if at all, they have one.

What I will sayis this, go to someone who has been recommended. Some hab checks lead to nothing but problems afterward. Luckily it only happens occasionally but it does happen. *-)

Hi plope,

I think I would always have this service carried out. The test for me is that if I was buying a second hand van I would insist on FULL Service History of every aspect, I think most people on here would.

I am not saying the services carried out are good value as I am sure there is some overpricing but as to the principle of getting the van serviced I am a definite YES.

cheers

Derek

fjmike hit the nail on the head as far as a supplying dealer is concerned that is why an independent check is always the way to go. I remember when Brownhills used to leave a gas check leaflet in their motorhomes before sale then the practice was stopped for some unknown reason. Are there any dealers who log there checks with duplicates, I doubt it, they should be made to keep follow on records as part of their approved workshop agreement. I mention this because I once wanted to check the history of a motorhome I was interested in and was told that the damp check results weren't logged, the report was handed to the owner on completion and that was the end of it. It might be different now I don't know.

Guest JudgeMental
derek pringle - 2013-06-04 8:11 AM

Hi plope,

I think I would always have this service carried out. The test for me is that if I was buying a second hand van I would insist on FULL Service History of every aspect, I think most people on here would.

I am not saying the services carried out are good value as I am sure there is some overpricing but as to the principle of getting the van serviced I am a definite YES.

cheers

Derek

But it is not a service..they do not "service" anything.. Are you seriously maintaining you need someone to check (look at) your fuses, and tell you that your toilet blade is not worn, that your battery needs topping up (probably sealed for life anyway) etc.. etc..Its a nonsense, and mainly a visual inspection (if that). apart from the damp and drop test but a modern van will safety valve will not need that anyway *-)

vehicle side an entirely different matter.

If you are a competent and experienced 'vanner and able to read and follow the list a hab check holds no perils and is simplicity itself.

If you want to get serious and get a damp meter is one option although a close visual inspection of empty lockers will more often than not spot water stained wood or peeling or stained wall covering if you know what to look for and will not give the false or misleading results that damp meters can and frighten you witless when only surface condensation is involved.

If you want a gas test any caravan dealer will do that for you - no idea what it costs but can't be expensive surely?

However the good old fashioned mark one nose as a sniffing device does a pretty good job for many of use?

If you want a battery test an auto electrician will do that for you - often for free - especially if they know you as a previous customer - and if you have a digital voltmeter and keep an eye on the batteries over time you should be forewarned of any falling off in performance.

For me a habitation check is not a one off event - it is ongoing throughout the year and before every trip as we like to enjoy trouble free holidays and enough things can go wrong without those that are preventable!

A modern motorhome is a complex bit of kit and to park it on the drive and expect it all to just work without being checked at sensible intervals is asking a lot in my view!

If one is not capable or inclined to DIY or there are warranty issues involved then far better to take the hit in the pocket and pay someone authorised by the maker to carry it out and record it - and get an invoice in case you need to prove it!

JudgeMental - 2013-06-04 10:56 AM

derek pringle - 2013-06-04 8:11 AM

Hi plope,

cheers

Derek

But it is not a service..they do not "service" anything.. Are you seriously maintaining you need someone to check (look at) your fuses, and tell you that your toilet blade is not worn, that your battery needs topping up (probably sealed for life anyway) etc.. etc..Its a nonsense, and mainly a visual inspection (if that). apart from the damp and drop test but a modern van will safety valve will not need that anyway *-)

vehicle side an entirely different matter.

Totally agree they should re-name it a "visual inspection"

so with this in mind and me being new to this, im trying to tot up total yearly costs of a van.

MOT

TAX

INSURANCE

HABITATION CHECK

not including the top up of gas etc.

also off subject what tracking systems would reduce your insurance enough to make it worth the costs?

does the MOT's just cover vehicle check not body work?

and don't get me started with electric know little

:$

plople - 2013-06-04 7:37 PM

so with this in mind and me being new to this, im trying to tot up total yearly costs of a van.

MOT

TAX

INSURANCE

HABITATION CHECK

not including the top up of gas etc.

also off subject what tracking systems would reduce your insurance enough to make it worth the costs?

does the MOT's just cover vehicle check not body work?

and don't get me started with electric know little

:$

MoT, VED and insurance are either standard charges, or relate to your van/where you live. As you have a van you will already know the last two, the first was £65 for out van last month.

The question you really need to ask yourself is how competent at DIY are you? You need some grasp of electricity (mains and 12V systems), some grasp of LPG installations, at least sufficient to verify that all appliances are working as they should and that there are no leaks, and suficient grasp of the water system to be able to tell if that is working correctly. Some of this you will probably learn through ownership of your van, but only if you check these systems regularly. The rest is largely a matter of observation and checking that doors close properly, hinges have appropriate lubrication, window catches are not loose and that the windows are in good condition and operate smoothly. As tracker says, keeping a sharp eye on the van interior, especially the areas around openings (doors, windows, rooflights, EHU intake, water fill point etc), but also near any seams between walls/roof, walls to walls, and walls to floor, for staining or discolouration, and sniffing the atmosphere inside when you first enter if it has been standing a while, should quickly pick up on any damp. Then, if suspicious, then get it tested.

Most of these things should be checked each time you use your van. Just switch on all the lights, plug things into the mains sockets, light the hob, fill the water tank, run up the water heater, ditto the space heating, try all the taps, hot and cold, check around in the van for anything unusual, and do this a couple of weeks before you intend leaving, not just before, so that you have time to get problems fixed, or at least assessed, if you can't DIY.

If you feel uncomfortable with any of these tasks, just get the hab check done for peace of mind. You'll spend far more on diesel in a year than a hab check will cost you, so worrying over the cost of the check is a bit pointless, IMO. But, if you take the time to familiarise yourself with how the installations work, even if you choose to have an annual check done, it will still pay dividends because you should then pick things up before they become problems while you are away. Eventually, assuming you gain sufficient confidence in your abilities and knowledge, you will probably decide that you can adopt an adequate maintenance routine on all items with the possible exception of an annual damp check, the records of which may be beneficial when you come to sell.

Hi,

I suppose it is a level of degree.

I am sure I have heard of manufacturers getting involved and repairing faults on occasion even though vans have been OUT of warranty. I am sure they would not stretch the point if these checks were not carried out.

derek

p.s

somebody posted on one of these forums a company in Speke, whereby I think he was charged £240 for Service/MOT/ Hab check--company was CC Deisels, sounds good

Hi;

I would just suggest that for your gas fuelled appliances you need to be sure that the engineer is properly accredited/registered. Installation or inspection; as part of a habitation check.

It used to be "Corgi", but they are no longer the appropriate agency .

The "Gas Safe Register" advised me.............

"any Gas Engineer that completes Gas Work legally has to be registered with Gas Safe Register to be able to undertake the work."

take care

alan b

snowie - 2013-06-05 12:57 PM

Hi;

I would just suggest that for your gas fuelled appliances you need to be sure that the engineer is properly accredited/registered. Installation or inspection; as part of a habitation check.

"any Gas Engineer that completes Gas Work legally has to be registered with Gas Safe Register to be able to undertake the work."

take care

alan b

This is not exactly true, for gas work on a motorhome or caravan or horse box a person only has to be able to prove competency, Gas Safe registration is only required if the motorhome or caravan is hired out as part of a business. Proof of competency for people working in this industry is usually by ACOPs certification.

D.

Dave Newell - 2013-06-05 1:24 PM

snowie - 2013-06-05 12:57 PM

Hi;

take care

alan b

This is not exactly true, for gas work on a motorhome or caravan or horse box a person only has to be able to prove competency, Gas Safe registration is only required if the motorhome or caravan is hired out as part of a business. Proof of competency for people working in this industry is usually by ACOPs certification.

D.

Well I asked in relation to my campervan. I suppose they would say that?

Mine was inspected by a Corgi registered engineer; when that was valid.

I'll go back and ask the "Gas Safe Register" a bit naughty of them if not exactly correct.

That said, I'd prefer a registered engineer, even if it's just me and the wife at risk!! and not hiring it out,

thanks for correction,

alan b

Derek Uzzell - 2013-06-05 9:08 AM

Brian Kirby - 2013-06-05 12:26 AM

As you have a van... .

Not so - David (plople) is still at the 'looking' stage (or was a couple of days ago).

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/CI-Carioca-656/31456/

Thank you Derek, and apologies to David. Don't know where I got that idea! :$

Just as a single example of the value of an annual hab inspection (not service) I did one today on an 11 year old Swift motorhome. The fridge was difficult to light on gas and would then not stay lit (who said thermocouple?) and the Truma S3000 fire was giving over 4000 PPM (parts per million) of CO (50 PPM in a small volume environment like a motorhome will kill in around 3 hours!) although this was t the flue outlet and not into the vehicle. The owners rarely use the fridge on gas but do use the heater. Without a reguar check with a flue gas analyser how would anyone know of these dangers?

D.

In edit: the fridge problem was not due to a thermocouple issue but simply that the burner was clogged up with dust and debris, a quick clean and all was well with quick ignition and it then stayed lit with a CO outputof 0 (zero) PPM. Sadly as its a Swift its impossible to ervice the fridge's gas burner in situ, where this is possible I do it as a part of the standard hab check.

D.

Archived