Habitation check

plople

ips - 2013-06-05 8:29 PM

4000 ppm .. Wow hope you got out quick. In my trade we work to 10ppm CO and 2800ppm CO2

not even sure my anyliser goes that high :)

As I said this was read at flue outlet not inside, still pretty exceptional though. FGA had a bit of a fit and wouldn't shut down till it was below 50ppm which took quite a long time. FGA alarm goes off at 200PPM and doesn't stop till below 150ppm, it squealed for ages.

I've lost track of the number of gas hoses I've seen that are ten years or more out of date, (I even saw one recently that was 18" of semi rigid water hose........except it was not semi rigid any more, the gas had affected it severely and turned it into a piece of soft jelly like substance, thankfully it was downstream of the reg so low pressure) or fridges that are literally poisonous when run on gas but still there are those that persist in the belief that workshops are only there to relieve them of holiday money and hab inspections are nothing more than fallacious money makers. I say it can be a life saver!

D.

Indeed, the gas regs may be somewhat grey regarding working on your own van gas installation but i for one would be somewhat worried if i bought a used van knowing someone un qualified had done some diy gas work.

Pretty impressive readings even at flue

Dave has a couple of very good points there.

The hab check, or at least a gas safety check, is worth doing every year if only for the peace of mind of knowing that carbon monoxide levels are safe and the system is gas tight.

Most caravanners used to know to change the old bottle mounted regulator low pressure gas hose every two years or so - although not everyone did even though the tube was inexpensive and it was simple to do - but with the coming of the bulkhead fitted regulators and high pressure pigtails it became unclear when they should be changed - if ever?

A quick Google suggests every three / four / five years - but as they cost a lot more how many people have replaced old ones I wonder.

A habit left over from the old days of porous hoses I guess, but does anyone else stick their head in the gas locker every time it is opened, or a gas bottle is changed, to have a quick sniff to make sure all is well - or is it only me!

It would be interesting to know what guidance is given - if any - in the converter's handbooks on the checking and replacement of gas pigtails?

We're on Autogas now but even that has a flexible rubber hose from tank to regulator so I'll check it's manufacture date today, and I thank Dave for drawing it to our attention.

Archived