MH friendly parking in Brecon/Abergavenny?

Ruth

Haven't been to Brecon recently, but the largest car-park at Abergavenny had a weight limit restriction when I last parked there (in a car). I think the limit was well below 3 tonnes as I mentally noted to myself that it would exclude most motorhomes. Don't know if the other car-parks are similarly restricted.

I spent some of the Spring around this area. Brecon with a small Nuevo seemed very diificult.You will have problems in the tiny Morrisons('?)Car Park.Watch out for the Jazz Festival next weekend.The town will be extra busy. I parked in the large car park off the A 40 entrance to Abergavenny.Seemed to hold all sorts of vehicles and i didnt notice any restrictions. Hay on Wye has a large unrestricted Car Park.The popular back road from Hay to Abergavenny or vv will be quite tight for you. Hope this helps. N

Guest starspirit
Brecon is no problem for a motorhome - at least it is not for us? There are several car parks that do allow m/h parking and several that don't, but you need to drive in and read the signs to find out. No real problem if you can handle your van! There is also m/h parking in the bus and coach car park which is sort of signposted up to a point and does require a bit of exploring to find - but isn't that all part of the fun? Jazz festival week adds a buzz to the town with markets stalls etc but can be a bit busy at times. If you can read, understand and survive those bl**dy silly dual language signs in Wales then you my friend are truly not driving too fast! Abergavenny I don't know about except that there is a big car park on the outskirts by the river with good walks nearby. Watch out for the road works on the A465 Abergavenney by pass as it is chaotic at times.

Brecon. If approaching from the east (A40/ A470 roundabout) you will find a coach/car park sign at the corner of a road to the left, just before you get to the main town. Go down that road and at the end two car parks can be seen just to the right. There is a weight limit on the first, cheaper,one of 3000 kgs. We managed to get our Starspirit into the Morrison's (ex Safeway) car park but only in the evening when it was quieter. Beware the lifting arm at the entrance which, like my arms, does not seem capable of going totally upwards. Before Morrisons was built there used to be plenty of room to park in the old market area as this was designed to take large vehicles such as cattle trucks. All of the spaces just outside the Safeway area seem to have weight limits. I have a photo taken in the old market area which shows the charge as being 6d. If you have a van with a long overhang beware the exit from the Morrison's petrol station (on the road into Brecon). The rear bumper on our Starspirit was grounding,

Archived