TV not working-help!

maxautotrail

In our 2007 Autotrail there is a "media pack". A drop down TV fed from a freeview box. I can tune this in with no problems.

There is an aerial feeding from the freeview box to a socket next to the habitation door where I have mounted a larger (12V) TV. I was able to tune this in with no problems but whilst away the last couple of months it has stopped working. The TV works fine in the house. I have taken the cables out of the freeview box and connected directly together - still nothing.

I have taken the TV and connected it direct to the freeview out box via a different aerial cable - TV plays which leads me to think the in built cable is faulty. So I tried the cable that goes to the bedroom - still nothing!

I have taken a multimeter to both in built aerial cables and it shows me a continuous connection.

I'm at a loss as what to try next. Anyone any ideas.

Keith

You could check if there is a connection between the centre conductor and the outer of the cable, indicating a short circuit. If there is then it is possible the fault is at one of the connectors. If it is possible to dismantle and remake then try that otherwise you'll need to cut off the suspect connector and fit a new one.

Phil.

Thanks - Phil. I should have said I tried checking both ends and also checked with the Multimeter.

This is crazy - everything points to the cable but it can't be two separate cables gone fault at the same time but both pass a multimeter check.

Keith

Hi - Its a directional one.

I used to be able to tune almost all stations when the motorhome was on the drive. Now it won't see any. The other (spare) TV managed to tune in about 30 stations. The 12 volt TV just managed to see BBC when I connected another booster.

The Autotrail built in Freeview box and drop down monitor seem fine. So I'm wondering because the extra length of cable is causing the TV not to tune in if the aerial of boost are faulty.

maxautotrail - 2013-06-04 2:19 PM

Hi - Its a directional one.

I used to be able to tune almost all stations when the motorhome was on the drive. Now it won't see any. The other (spare) TV managed to tune in about 30 stations. The 12 volt TV just managed to see BBC when I connected another booster.

The Autotrail built in Freeview box and drop down monitor seem fine. So I'm wondering because the extra length of cable is causing the TV not to tune in if the aerial of boost are faulty.

I would suggest that you try connecting a different aerial, to see if that makes a difference, just a cheap o set top directional one would probably work as you seem to have a good signal on your drive way. Let us know how you get on.

Does the aerial lead run direct from the booster to the tv, or is it fed via the freeview box? If the latter try routing it direct.

In both Autotrails I've had we found an Avtex tv got a much better picture and wider range of channels than the built in freeview, but I always fed the signal direct from the aerial booster, although the sound was better through the built in system.

Thanks all

I'll try to find a separate aerial.

Yes the picture and range was better. Also it is an Avtex set we use. But now the reverse is true. I'm getting better reception on the drop down set. I've also tried connecting the leads direct rather than through the Autotrail freeview box.

It's strange and frustrating.

Keith

maxautotrail - 2013-06-04 5:16 PM

I'll try to find a separate aerial.

You don't need a separate aerial - just the coaxial lead - but you might need a 'T' or 'Y' type splitter connector to send the signal to two different receivers from the booster if you still want to use the cab TV as well - or your signal booster box might have two output sockets if you are lucky!

Don't wish to be rude - but can I assume that you are switching on the 12 v supply to the booster (red light glows)!

Archived