road signs

bjphillips

On the subject of driving etc I like to know my road signs but 1 of them has me stumped.Ive spoken to the traffic cops,the local council highways dept,Ive looked in all the books I can find including the highway code but cant find this one anywhere.It must be a big secret but I reckon it must be the directions to the bomb shelter for the choosen few in the event of.Ive seen them in variouse towns,we have them at intervals along the way from the A38 to & thro Totnes as far as the local council offices.They are yellow background with just a black lined diamond on them & the directional arrow,any guesses anyone????

No not a holiday route that was suggested by an official in the highways dept of our local council or maybe its a diversion sign he said that someones forgotten to take down (mind you theres about 5 0f them from the A38 but no more after the large sign of the council offices entrance.I reckon youre right its their secret sign to the nuclear bunker unless anyone out theres got any more suggestions!!!!!!!!!!!

[QUOTE]bjphillips - 2006-08-03 10:30 PM On the subject of driving etc I like to know my road signs but 1 of them has me stumped.Ive spoken to the traffic cops,the local council highways dept,Ive looked in all the books I can find including the highway code but cant find this one anywhere.It must be a big secret but I reckon it must be the directions to the bomb shelter for the choosen few in the event of.Ive seen them in variouse towns,we have them at intervals along the way from the A38 to & thro Totnes as far as the local council offices.They are yellow background with just a black lined diamond on them & the directional arrow,any guesses anyone????[/QUOTE] According to the highway code http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/signs06.htm the sign in question is "Symbols showing emergency diversion route for motorway and other main road traffic" Don

Guest starspirit
If you want real road sign lunacy try Wales. Virtually everybody in Wales speaks English and only a minority speak Welsh but all road signs are dual language with Welsh first (West of Cardiff) with both languages written in the same colour. It can be quite dangerous taking your eyes off the road long enough to plough through the gobbledegook before you get to the English bit - by which time often the sign is passed and you are no wiser. This is even more fun when it rains - and if there is one things Wales can do well it is rain! Compare this to Scotland where dual language signs are in different colours and are easy to read and follow - mostly!

Belgium's fun as well.  Most Flemish towns have two names, the French one and the Flemish one.  Some direction signs indicate the town by the one, some by the other, and as you go along this changes.  Some of the alternatives you can guess, but some sound like a totally different place.  For example: Bruxelles/Brussel is not too bad, But Mons becomes Bergen and Geraardsbergen is Gramond!  Fair does yer ead, it do!

[QUOTE]According to the highway code http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/signs06.htm the sign in question is "Symbols showing emergency diversion route for motorway and other main road traffic"[/QUOTE]

In practice, I follow this sign into a town or city as an alternative "safe" route if the main road has a low bridge or other impassable object.

I dont know about following this sign into town,youll wind up at the council offices every time!!! Ive got the latest highway code & Have looked thro all the driving books in most bookshops & I cant find it anywhere.Ive just gone thro all the signs on the highways website ,its not there either.

Archived