Dover Ferry Co to close.

Curtisden

Too early yet to say that Myferrylink will close. Eurotunnel could appeal the decision, possibly citing that the French competition authorities do not consider it unfair competition (no surprise there, then!). It is being run on a day to day basis by a workers cooperative, who rent the boats at a cheap rate from Eurotunnel. I guess Eurotunnel are also subsidising the running costs - they were running at a substantial loss during the winter, but I believe are now picking up some traffic - mainly freight as that is where the money is. Reported elsewhere that Norbert Destrangle(??) is now sending his lorries over with them.

Meanwhile, do I book with Myferrylink for our planned trip in September? Their fares are certainly cheaper than the competition, and their staff are reputedly friendlier than in the old Seafrance days, but should I support a company that is trying to see off the competition?

P&O would love to have a monopoly on the Channel. In the past when new cheaper services started they would set up a 'spoiler' service. And its not just confined to the Channel, they have had a few attempts on the Irish sea crossings.

I think they have used a bit of their influence with their other 'cartel' member DFDS.

They killed Stena with their merger and were 'cock-a-hoop' when Seafrance got in to trouble.

Norbert is probably their major customer and they must feel the pinch with them moving.

Typical crossing for a motorhome MyFerry around £50 P&O £150,if you change your crossing time its an extra £50, almost like Ryanair.

They are pirates!

Guest Peter James
Brians dad - 2013-06-06 2:23 PM

Norbert Destrangle(??) is now sending his lorries over with them.

Disentangle ;-)

Last week we had to forgo our planned trip to Germany as we had a bereavement in the family with a funeral this Friday.  P & O altered our booking less than 24 hours before we were due to sail.  We'd bought the flexible fare and the only extra we had to pay was £13 as we're now going over mid August and returning early September.  That is very good i think.

Archived