Caravan Club-Awning restrictions

bonnieken

Those that unthinkingly accept the complete hogwash that there is a universal right and wrong side for a door on a 'van would probably be extraordinarily good CC board members / officials.

More should be like Rich, whose famous signature of: "No wrong ways - just different means to same ends" is only slightly incongruous with his assertion that there is a wrong way after all - as long as it allows him to stir up trouble.

I thought 'Flattercocks' was the appropriate forum for those desperately in need of validation?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
crinklystarfish - 2013-06-08 9:55 AM

Those that unthinkingly accept the complete hogwash that there is a universal right and wrong side for a door on a 'van would probably be extraordinarily good CC board members / officials.

More should be like Rich, whose famous signature of: "No wrong ways - just different means to same ends" is only slightly incongruous with his assertion that there is a wrong way after all - as long as it allows him to stir up trouble.

I thought 'Flattercocks' was the appropriate forum for those desperately in need of validation?

Yes. I was looking forward to an interesting exchange of views and its wrecked again by the usual suspects. Note suspects not suspect.

It is some of contributions above that put me off participation on a regular basis. I had enough hassle when I worked without having to endure this nonsense.

Arthur

Guest JudgeMental
arthur49 - 2013-06-08 10:04 AM

crinklystarfish - 2013-06-08 9:55 AM

Yes. I was looking forward to an interesting exchange of views and its wrecked again by the usual suspects. Note suspects not suspect.

It is some of contributions above that put me off participation on a regular basis. I had enough hassle when I worked without having to endure this nonsense.

Arthur

Interesting exchange? About a CC pitch.........for goodness sake get a life!lol

Yes indeed Eddie the Ego - get a life certainly applies to you as you started it all by your needlessly unhelpful remark following Colin's playful posting.

And note I can post to you without using deliberately insulting words like imbecile or moron - something you have yet to master it seems!

It's not me who is getting all bitter and twisted about a throw away comment about van doors on the wrong side of all petty things, but it is the usual suspects that never resist any opportunity to have a go at me under any pretext.

For crying out load children if you want to get bitchy again at least find a worthwhile subject!

crinklystarfish - 2013-06-08 10:08 AM

Me too mate. Tiresome isn't it?

Indeed.

By the way I admire your 'truck': its not for us but its right for you. On the other hand you won't like mine - Autocruise Rhythm - but its right for us. Why would we want to inflict our individual preferences on each other?

Keep up the intelligent contributions. I appreciate them even though I don't always agree with them ;-)

Arthur

Tin Man - 2013-06-07 7:13 PM

Colin Leake - 2013-06-07 6:58 PM

...for those unpatriotic or foolish enough to by one of those continental motorhomes with the door on the wrong side ....

What a stupid and high handed comment.

Sorry Tin Man I was just winding the above up. For the record our last motorhome was a French Rapido and very good it was to. Much better than all that German rubbish!

You really should not,take any notice of what I say. Even my wife doesn't and I must admit its mainly always rubbish but I just don't seem able to help myself sometimes.

snowie - 2013-06-07 8:27 PM

pelmetman - 2013-06-07 7:26 PM

We pitched on a CC site in Rutland to get the evening sun........ and the warden made us turn around so that our door wouldn't face the unoccupied pitch *-).................his reason was ;-)...............so we wouldn't face our neighbours door when they arrived later in the day................they had a continental van *-)

Now this is the one that really would irritate me. I always park either to take advantage of a view ( out of the front, when "dining" ) or ( out of the slider, when relaxing inside, or outside under the roll-out awning ).

The problem is usually that I don't want to stare at a privet hedge, so often reverse onto our chosen pitch. I believe that I have the right to choose my orientation on a pitch. I should also be permitted to roll out my awning, on either side, as I only occupy one vehicle width, and usually roll my awning back in at night, thus maintaining maximum separation overnight. I can't see why changes are necessary. It's definately getting less and less likely that we'll renew our "membership",

How do they make these decisions?

cheers,

alan b

Well said that man. I quite agree with everything you say.

For what it's worth Colin, as the proud owner of a motor home with the door on the "wrong side", your original remark made me chuckle, and was surprised at the upset that it provoked in certain quarters! Incidentally, it is well worth the inconvenience of having the aforesaid door, if it means that we own a vehicle that has had absolutely no problems with the build quality since the day we bought it!

Colin Leake - 2013-06-08 10:36 PM

Tin Man - 2013-06-07 7:13 PM

Colin Leake - 2013-06-07 6:58 PM

...for those unpatriotic or foolish enough to by one of those continental motorhomes with the door on the wrong side ....

What a stupid and high handed comment.

Sorry Tin Man I was just winding the above up. For the record our last motorhome was a French Rapido and very good it was to. Much better than all that German rubbish!

You really should not,take any notice of what I say. Even my wife doesn't and I must admit its mainly always rubbish but I just don't seem able to help myself sometimes.

No hard feelings on my part Colin.

Chidren, children, goodness me! We are looking after our two young, wonderful and boisterous grandsons at present and they are behaving in a far more grown up way than some of you chaps!

Anyway to try to return to the subject I originally brought up - VICTORY - hurrah. I had a phone call from the

CC yesterday to say that they WILL now allow motorhome awnings (NO - sorry they are called canopies now according to CC), on non awning pitches.

It was quite a long conversation but to cut it short they have had so many members complaining that they have had to let common sense prevail.

However, in the conversation there was some hint of future discussions re awning charges when I asked the question if this was the club's intent.

This is my first posting and my intention was to bring it to the attention of other motorhomers who regularly use UK sites as well as abroad. I certainly didn't think it would be an excuse for petty bickering.

Now back to playing with the grandsons - far more peaceful and sensible.

bonnieken - 2013-06-09 9:27 AM

I had a phone call from the CC yesterday to say that they WILL now allow motorhome awnings (NO - sorry they are called canopies now according to CC), on non awning pitches.

It was quite a long conversation but to cut it short they have had so many members complaining that they have had to let common sense prevail.

However, in the conversation there was some hint of future discussions re awning charges when I asked the question if this was the club's intent.

Hi Ken

It sounds like a bit of a common sense has slipped in under the radar then... (lol)

As for the charging of awnings,to be honest I'd always assumed(wrongly!)that they already did.. :$

(.but.as we never use one when on "sites",their cost had never really cropped up..)

All they've got to do now, is to inform ALL of their wardens to let us park which ever way around is appropriate for our unit's layout.. ;-)

Well done sir. Now I wonder what the situation is if one uses a wind out awning with a sun blocker coming down fro the awning rail. My guess is the wardens would use their common sense and allow the but not the use of a full set of sides which would convert it into an awning.

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2013-06-09 9:51 AM

All they've got to do now, is to inform ALL of their wardens to let us park which ever way around is appropriate for our unit's layout.. ;-)

Aaaaah Pepe.................you've seen a flaw in the sensible response from the CC :D

pelmetman - 2013-06-09 5:26 PM

pepe63 - 2013-06-09 9:51 AM

Aaaaah Pepe.................you've seen a flaw in the sensible response from the CC :D

It's the Caravan Club - not the Communication Club!

Sundowner - 2013-06-09 5:46 PM

Well done Ken, this must be some sort of record - an answer, a "concession" and some common sense from the CC!

As he seems to have "the knack" ,I wonder if it's worth getting him to fire off a couple of emails to the Israelis and Hamas? (lol)

Never really thought of this but on Private sites I never pay for an awning. As far as I'm concerned this Fiamma is a canopy with no ground sheet. And besides - never know when I may be able to use it, that's all down to the weather. Never had any complaints about rolling out the canopy, when I've not paid for an awning either

Bolly1965 - 2013-06-09 7:56 PM

Never really thought of this but on Private sites I never pay for an awning. As far as I'm concerned this Fiamma is a canopy with no ground sheet. And besides - never know when I may be able to use it, that's all down to the weather. Never had any complaints about rolling out the canopy, when I've not paid for an awning either

We use a sunshade, too. Not a lot bigger than some sun umbrellas I have seen, but it attaches to the van via the awning rail. I would be outraged if I was charged for using it.

After reading the way this thread deteriorated into a personal slanging match,it reminded me of some of the subscription sites.One in particular,you know people pay good money for insults and pedantry.

Any way both clubs have stupid rules regarding siting mainly for motorhomes which is why the emphasise the Caravan element in their title. Perhaps someone should equip them with the figure of the sales of European and American built motorhomes,they may soon realise that a 'one size fits all' attitude doesn't work,but then that would entail some thinking, The same goes for the stupid 'we close the toilets and showers for cleaning at 11 am each day because we always have'attitude. All it takes is a little rearranging of site duties,some can be done in the afternoon when the majority of people are off site.

I managed a site with a large residential facility and I was able to due my 'domestic' duties without disturbing customers and be available for assistance,OK it did mean eating lunch at 4pm and dinner at 9.But with additional staff,like on club sites regular meals can be arranged,I was on my own,but I was never miserable or stroppy.perhaps I should be beatified.

I always wondered why they chose that time t clean the loos - My breaks away in the motorhome are the only times I get to relax and possibly even have a lie in! If I do have a lie in, then the toilet block is closed, so i end up using my own facilities....

Bolly1965 - 2013-06-11 9:34 PM

I always wondered why they chose that time t clean the loos - My breaks away in the motorhome are the only times I get to relax and possibly even have a lie in! If I do have a lie in, then the toilet block is closed, so i end up using my own facilities....

We don't have inboard facilities, which is why we stay at campsites! One campsite we have used regularly has two toilet blocks, a large one with shower tokens for 20p and a much smaller one with showers at 50p.

Guess which one they close for cleaning at 8am every morning? I kid you not!!

Yet another good reason to only travel abroad and out of season... generally, park where you want, put what you want round you and wander past the cleaners in the loo or showers as they work round you. I often wonder how the Dutch and their ability to spread out over 3 pitches cope with English sites !

Archived