Broken Habitation door latch on Compass Casteaway

Franco

Hi folks. The habitation door lock on my Compass Castaway, 2004, has been a bit difficult to lock from the inside for some time. Today I could not close the door at all, as the lock was not 'co-operating' and I had to tie the door closed. In essence the top catch is not rising sufficiently to sit into the upper grip on the receiver.

When I arrived home I opened the lock and there appeared to be a broken spring that had failed, but I managed to reinstate it and the lock is working again, but somewhat feebly, and I feel it is only a temporary fix. Also I noted that the lower end of the external handle had a small metal bar, (which was rusted) across two holes inside the handle. I can see no method to fix the lower end of the handle rigidly to the lower part of the door- there is screw on the inside, but I can see no real way it can catch the outer lower handle other than into the plastic, which does not seem secure..

Can anybody guide me to where I could view a diagram of the lock to understand more clearly how

the mechanism works?

I have googled considerably, but cannot find any details. Also I believe Elddis Group took over Compass Group, but I can find no helpful on their web.

Where can I get a new lock? Again I can find nothing similar on various 'spares' webs. I am not in a position right now to attach a photo.

Tks

Frank *-) *-)

Archived