Alsace region

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

Have had to change plans as daughters graduation gets in the way of Part 2 Tuscany trip :-(

Still going to Lake Garda as per usual, but thinking of the Alsace region for approx 10 days. Have stopped of their numerous times for an overnight but never really investigated properly..

So...... must see towns, and recommended campsites/aires please and especially good cycling :-D

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are a number of good dedicated cycle routes in the area; have a look at www.af3v.org. Last time we were in the vosges we used the cycle track in the Moselle and Mosellote valleys , about 57 km on former rail track. Stayed at good ACSI site at Bussang near source of R. Moselle.

Colin

We started last years trip in the Alsace. Definitely worth a look. There is a bit of info on our Blog. Scroll down to June 18 https://sites.google.com/site/hanktestsite2/blog/summer-2012/france-outward-alsace

I liked the Route des Cretes which takes you over all the summits and you can park up and hike up to the top of the Grand Ballon. Fab views.

Some good Aires and parking spots but as you can see Switzerland and the Black Forest from the top it wasnt long before we were off.

Brilliant spot - some excellent places to stay, and well worth joining France Passion for Alsace alone! We also enjoyed the campsite at Eguisheim (used to be a municipal, not sure if it still is) but we were there during the village wine festival.

Riquewihr is amazing if very touristy.

Guest searchforsites

A couple of recommendations

if you are a France Passion member:

http://www.searchforsites.co.uk/marker.php?id=13505

If your not:

http://www.searchforsites.co.uk/marker.php?id=5880

The castle at Koengsburg is worth a visit

http://www.haut-koenigsbourg.fr/en

And if you can cycle up there, then chapeau! (Was worried at some points the van would not get up via the route from Thanenkirch)

Well, you know Obernai (Camping Municipal le Vallon de l'Ehn, N48.46460 E7.46750), with its walks and cycle trails. Train to Strasbourg easy.

But how about Ribeauville (Camping Municipal Pierre de Coubertain, N48.19490 E7.33648),

Kaysersberg (Camping Municipal, N48.14905 E7.25394),

Colmar (Camping Municipal de l'Ill, N48.07773 E7.38692),

Selestat (Camping Municipal les Cigognes, N48.25470 E7.44785),

Eguisheim (Camping Municipal des Trois Chateaux, N48.04259 E7.29998), or for something a bit different,

Neuf Brisach (Camping Vaubain, N48.01638 E7.53565) - we haven't used the site, but it gets a good write-up in the CC guide, but the town is a little altered Vaubain fortified garrison town with near intact ramparts.

Once onto the Rhine valley floor you can cycle pretty well anywhere as it is all fairly flat, and there are loads of minor roads, and a lot of tracks through the vinyards with no traffic apart from the odd tractor or two.

Guest JudgeMental
Thanks chaps! I will look into suggested towns now and sort out which to visit......Barry has got me thinking about the Black Forest, so may well go there also for a few days then Austria and Italy.....

JudgeMental - 2013-06-13 10:06 AM

Thanks chaps! I will look into suggested towns now and sort out which to visit......Barry has got me thinking about the Black Forest, so may well go there also for a few days then Austria and Italy.....

Have you been reading last years blog or something thats exactly what we did! (lol)

Actually no we didnt. We went to Slovenia from Austria and then back into Italy. I think you were in Croatia at the time possibly.

We loved Austria and the Italian Dolomites. The Austrian lakes are just stunning.

Guest JudgeMental

Yes Barry your blog started me thinking about the black forest (again:-D) and yes we had 6 fantastic weeks in Croatia and Italy last year, in a heat wave for most of it....wonderful! :D

May just stick with a few days in Alsace and go through Switzerland as we like it and have not been for 3 years...Plus its a quicker route back home from Garda and time a bit tight...Fancy some cycling around Interlaken and we have better e bikes then last time for the hills

what are you up to this summer? These sorts of threads much more fun than "doh! me hairdryer dont work" varity :-D

Normally we would have been off by now but financially the business has been completely hopeless over the winter. Lost 4 regular clients between December and February that normally kept me in work between trips (and some during). One Public Sector client was disbanded and the other three went bust due to recession.

So I dont feel I can justify going away this summer. Having said that I dont think after what frankly has been a dreadful six months since we got back I can stomach not going off for at least a couple of months.

I quite fancy a trip to Annecy region and the Alps between France and Italy. Maybe go for July and the Tour de France (not that Im into cycling) for the atmosphere.

The thought of not getting away is too much to bear! :-D

Sod it! Im going to start planning.

thanks Judge. Just the nudge I needed.

Will you lend us a tenner when we get back skint?

Guest JudgeMental
Kirbys is a very generous benefactor (he can afford to be). Moi had to sell the stately pile (been in the family generations...) and downsize to Mental Manor. Now can only afford one manservant, but he cant travel as has no papers.... mind you he knocks up a brill curry. But yes will always feed a fellow traveller:-D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JudgeMental

Alsace as an area not that large..So far heading for these towns. not staying at all the sites, some will be aires, as there is only approx one hour driving time between the lot. so will cycle to some...(below are Kirbys and others recommendations..many thanks:-D)

Ribeauville (Camping Municipal Pierre de Coubertain, N48.19490 E7.33648),

Eguisheim (Camping Municipal des Trois Chateaux, N48.04259 E7.29998), or for something a bit different,

Neuf Brisach (Camping Vaubain, N48.01638 E7.53565)

Then Switzerland on route to Italy:

We like Interlaken, great cycling area but have been before...Have stayed in Lucerne as well but its is very busy there....any suggestions for other areas in Switzerland worth a look which offers good cycling.

JudgeMental - 2013-06-26 10:43 AM

Alsace as an area not that large..So far heading for these towns. not staying at all the sites, some will be aires, as there is only approx one hour driving time between the lot. so will cycle to some...(below are Kirbys and others recommendations..many thanks:-D)

We like Interlaken, great cycling area but have been before...Have stayed in Lucerne as well but its is very busy there....any suggestions for other areas in Switzerland worth a look which offers good cycling.

Eddie the most attractive village in Alsace, in our opinion, wife and myself, is Riquewihr which has been mentioned but not on your list, do not miss it. Their is a campsite just outside, cannot remember the name but is in acsi book, probably outside cheap rate I know. Switzerland to many places, we love Grindlewald, campsite here again acsi within walking distance of the village. Great train rides in the mountains and walking.

Guest JudgeMental
rupert123 - 2013-06-26 11:57 AM

Eddie the most attractive village in Alsace, in our opinion, wife and myself, is Riquewihr which has been mentioned but not on your list, do not miss it. Their is a campsite just outside, cannot remember the name but is in acsi book, probably outside cheap rate I know. Switzerland to many places, we love Grindlewald, campsite here again acsi within walking distance of the village. Great train rides in the mountains and walking.

Riquewihr is actually our second stop or maybe first...escaped the list above by accident, because I just copied that from Kirbys email *-)

There is a municipal "intercommunal Riquewihr" which sits between 4 little villages and another Municipal nearby as well. The inter one looks well paced for cycling...looks like they may be difficult to get on though as a very touristy area....

http://en.camping-alsace.com/

Guest JudgeMental

We like Interlaken, great cycling area but have been before...Have stayed in Lucerne as well but its is very busy there....any suggestions for other areas in Switzerland worth a look which offers good but not mountainous cycling.

moving on...Switzerland...discuss please! :D

JudgeMental - 2013-06-26 12:32 PM

rupert123 - 2013-06-26 11:57 AM

Riquewihr is actually our second stop or maybe first...escaped the list above by accident, because I just copied that from Kirbys email *-)

There is a municipal "intercommunal Riquewihr" which sits between 4 little villages and another Municipal nearby as well. The inter one looks well paced for cycling...looks like they may be difficult to get on though as a very touristy area....

http://en.camping-alsace.com/

Beware: we have stayed here in the past, and I thought it had closed.

It hasn't, but it appears to have changed hands (which may have followed a closure), and IS closed for refurbishment for the whole of this year (according to the website).

http://en.camping-alsace.com/camping-municipal-riquewihr

Hi Eddie,

The site you mention at Eguisheim, although not the greatest site in the world, is perfectly placed for strolling in to the town for meals and a tipple etc, also 'probing' virtually at the site entrance. It also is very good for cycling and I know you are interested in that. Not that you personally need telling but watch for the wine prices at the different places in the town, the restaurant on the corner as you enter from the site is good food and decent prices excellent plat du jours. Enjoy

cheers

derek

Guest JudgeMental

Thanks Robin/Derek, there are a fair few sites/aires to stop at in the area...oft the sauce I'm afraid doctors orders! :-D

swiftly moving on to Switzerland:D but interlaken still looking favorite...

We are just back from the Alsace last week and yes its all that others have said. Been there a few times as well as researching my WW1 interests as well. Lots to see and walk on the Grand Balloons.

But For me the area to the SW is a part of France that seems to get missed out and we found very beautiful and well worth consideration.

Its the Jura running from Belfort to St Die. Loads of river sources that gush from caves, the ground and waterfalls all over the place that are quite unique to this part of France. .

Quiet with very few tourists makes following the River Doubs and Loue both relaxing and the stunning scenery takes some beating IMO. We will go back for sure.

Few photos to show what I mean.

IMG_0997.thumb.jpg.ab9a05dbe6458b4d7ae59d12ddd1716e.jpg

IMG_0897.thumb.jpg.a1858f63bf2d93d028c35498356b1414.jpg

IMG_0956.thumb.jpg.d7477b67e6caab9493e8f426f75838fb.jpg

IMG_0913.jpg.af18b1170a96cee048ab0531fb84e175.jpg

Archived