Alsace region

Guest JudgeMental

Guest searchforsites
Curtisden - 2013-06-27 11:27 PM

We are just back from the Alsace last week and yes its all that others have said. Been there a few times as well as researching my WW1 interests as well. Lots to see and walk on the Grand Balloons.

But For me the area to the SW is a part of France that seems to get missed out and we found very beautiful and well worth consideration.

Its the Jura running from Belfort to St Die. Loads of river sources that gush from caves, the ground and waterfalls all over the place that are quite unique to this part of France. .

Quiet with very few tourists makes following the River Doubs and Loue both relaxing and the stunning scenery takes some beating IMO. We will go back for sure.

Few photos to show what I mean.

Nice shots, where was the last one taken?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2-4 Rue du Bief Poutot

25930 Lods, France

Parking but not overnight as this is a huge Fishing area and draws fisherman from all over. Trout in the main.

Some of the riverside parking like this does not allow Campers overnight and are marked Fisherman only from 8PM to 7Am.

Here are a few more including the Rhine Falls which we also went to.

IMG_1004.thumb.jpg.42d48927a5cad6e4480e0db03ad4c448.jpg

IMG_1010.thumb.jpg.11ba89c81d46538a0311e3effbf83cf4.jpg

IMG_0866.jpg.4d5a5bc9dfccf6de710df8ca8681cbb1.jpg

Quiet with very few tourists makes following the River Doubs and Loue both relaxing and the stunning scenery takes some beating IMO. We will go back for sure.

.....oh, I do so agree!

(and I suspect that the "snap" attached here is, indeed, "snap". .....though I'd have to do a bit more backtracking before I could name the location).

mystery1.jpg.6b407735908745aa727508d832158b0c.jpg

JudgeMental - 2013-06-27 12:05 PM

Thanks Robin/Derek, there are a fair few sites/aires to stop at in the area...oft the sauce I'm afraid doctors orders! :-D

swiftly moving on to Switzerland:D but interlaken still looking favorite...

I suspect our tastes may vary, Eddie, but I'm with Henry on this one....

Grindelwand is (IMO) incomparably better (though maybe a bit challenging for cycling).

Robinhood - 2013-06-28 8:47 AM

.....oh, I do so agree!

(and I suspect that the "snap" attached here is, indeed, "snap". .....though I'd have to do a bit more backtracking before I could name the location).

Its the same place on a much better day. Better shot as well.

Curtisden - 2013-06-28 8:55 AM

Robinhood - 2013-06-28 8:47 AM

.....oh, I do so agree!

Its the same place on a much better day. Better shot as well.

Mrs H will be pleased!

It would have taken me quite some time to tie down the actual spot (it was 6 years ago). We stayed at a very quiet and cheap, albeit basic, municipal, which from perusing Google would be the one at Vuillafans, just down the road and next to the sports ground.

We also stayed there last month. It was free as there was no way of paying that we could find.

Great area great food and quiet which seems to have been missed buy the Brits. Never saw another Brit van or car in 8 days.

I don't like german architecture or pine trees, so Colmer and the Black Forest is not high on the must visit list. But others do and flock in there 100's. or so it seemed as we passed through.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest JudgeMental

we arrived in Alsace on Monday after an overnight on free aire in Rochefort (Belgium). We are on a nice municipal site Camping Pierre de Coubertin. Spacious pitches, very good facilities, swimming pool 5 mins walk... and 16 € a night high season. large supermarket 5 mins, its on edge of lovely a town Ribeauville

its a great cycling area, quite demanding with some difficult long climbs and exhilarating descents! free maps from tourist offices.but once you have seen one chocolate box town you have seen them all to be honest, and not as patch on Tuscany! (last year)

we were supposed to be moving on today to another site further south as we have done all the cycle routes around here..... BUT! yesterday I stopped to look at map, backed onto grass verge side of cycle route as car was passing (shared use) and fell into a waterway with bike on top of me *-). It was totally covered in grass and about a metre deep. a German guy stopped and pulled the bike oft moi and helped moi out and retrieved the pannier from ditch. grazed knee and elbow but ankle blew up and very painful,

managed to cycle back about 10k as had no choice, but this morning really hunting so staying another night. I knew it would be worse this morning, so sessions with a bucket full of cold water, diclofenec cream and paracetamol.......all part of the fun! just be careful out there....

Switzerland at weekend and lake garda next Wednesday..Oh! by the way weather wonderful! :-D

JudgeMental - 2013-07-25 10:52 AM

we arrived in Alsace on Monday after an overnight on free aire in Rochefort (Belgium). We are on a nice municipal site Camping Pierre de Coubertin. Spacious pitches, very good facilities, swimming pool 5 mins walk... and 16 € a night high season. large supermarket 5 mins, its on edge of lovely a town Ribeauville

its a great cycling area, quite demanding with some difficult long climbs and exhilarating descents! free maps from tourist offices.but once you have seen one chocolate box town you have seen them all to be honest, and not as patch on Tuscany! (last year)

we were supposed to be moving on today to another site further south as we have done all the cycle routes around here..... BUT! yesterday I stopped to look at map, backed onto grass verge side of cycle route as car was passing (shared use) and fell into a waterway with bike on top of me *-). It was totally covered in grass and about a metre deep. a German guy stopped and pulled the bike oft moi and helped moi out and retrieved the pannier from ditch. grazed knee and elbow but ankle blew up and very painful,

managed to cycle back about 10k as had no choice, but this morning really hunting so staying another night. I knew it would be worse this morning, so sessions with a bucket full of cold water, diclofenec cream and paracetamol.......all part of the fun! just be careful out there....

Switzerland at weekend and lake garda next Wednesday..Oh! by the way weather wonderful! :-D

So, will you be changing your name to 1footintheditch? :-D Bad luck, and I hope it clears quickly.

Guest JudgeMental

not likely..... one misery enough on here :D Having to console myself with ice packs, wonderful pate and Vodka.......+ being waited on hand and foot by Mrs M Sob...sob.

to be honest, ever since Mrs M joined the local ladies bike club and now an avid road racer..its bloomin hard work keeping up with her..so probably need a rest :-S

JudgeMental - 2013-07-25 3:31 PM

not likely..... one misery enough on here :D Having to console myself with ice packs, wonderful pate and Vodka.......+ being waited on hand and foot by Mrs M Sob...sob.

to be honest, ever since Mrs M joined the local ladies bike club and now an avid road racer..its bloomin hard work keeping up with her..so probably need a rest :-S

Vodka!!!!!!!!!!!! On (or off, tee hee!) yer bike! Marc d'Alsace, surely? :-D

Guest JudgeMental
Brian Kirby - 2013-07-25 11:28 PM

Vodka!!!!!!!!!!!! On (or off, tee hee!) yer bike! Marc d'Alsace, surely? :-D

nay nay thrice nay :-D Vodka a summer drink, leave the old gold watch/brandy alone in these temperatures....ankle much better this morning so moving on!

Guest JudgeMental
swelling gone so moved down the road a bit to Camping Municipal Kaysersberg...will try some gentle cycling latter. Another real nice site by river, spacious pitches etc..swimming pool up the road and cycle track back of site. 2nd site so far and dominant group by a mile are the Danish, some Dutch and no English to speak of....Its not busy around here at all, sites easy to get on as long as you turn up in the morning and tourist towns not that packed at all...I guess all the french have headed for the Med beaches. So non of the July/august horror storys that some like to imagine... :-D

JudgeMental - 2013-07-26 11:47 AM

swelling gone so moved down the road a bit to Camping Municipal Kaysersberg

Myself and the current Mrs H had a very nice stay and meal at the Chambard in Kayserberg many years ago.

It was Michelin starred then, and still is now.

I'm not sure I can recommend it after such a long time, but having just had a look at their prices, I think they must have gone up by a bit. 8-)

Guest JudgeMental
thanks robin....just cycling in now ..will give it a look, but there is an Indian restaurant on the main road as well :D

JudgeMental - 2013-07-26 2:10 PM.............................but there is an Indian restaurant on the main road as well :D

Sacre bleu! Le curry en Alsace! Un petit choucroute a la Korma? Ou peut etre le Munster vindaloo? Si non, quant a un backofen tikka marsala?

Kronenbourg locally brewed, so you'll be OK for the beers, though! :-D

Brian Kirby - 2013-07-26 7:23 PM

JudgeMental - 2013-07-26 2:10 PM.............................but there is an Indian restaurant on the main road as well :D

Sacre bleu! Le curry en Alsace! Un petit choucroute a la Korma? Ou peut etre le Munster vindaloo? Si non, quant a un backofen tikka marsala?

Kronenbourg locally brewed, so you'll be OK for the beers, though! :-D

.....you aren't Eddy Izzard in disguise are you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOQg7DNDGTU

;-)

Guest JudgeMental

The Indian won...and what a great choice, proper Indian food in France..I would never have believed it! delicious 3 course dinner, cooked fresh to order, charming family from Kashmir, will visit again when in vicinity.

Have moved on to Colmar and now in neuf-brisbach, temps yesterday in the high 30's, rain overnight and today much cooler and grey. Cycling over the Rhine this afternoon, the intention is to to go swimming as well as nice pool on german side, but being a sunday may be a bit busy.....Tomorrow Mulhouse...and then ITALY! for a proper holiday! :D

all the municipal sites so far have been really good, spacious, good facilities, free wifi and averaging about 16-18 euro a night in high season..

its the motorhoming infrastructure that puts the UK to shame. Take the small town of Kayserberg. Car park and MOTORHOME/coach car park next door.......500 metres, the lovely municipal site and for the skinflints there is also the Aire :-D

Good to hear you have mended, what's all this about Mrs Mental joining a cycling club, does this mean you are ditching the electric motors and going to do some real cyling .D

JudgeMental

.Tomorrow Mulhouse...

Mulhouse "The French National Motor Museum " not to be missed, formally "the Schlumpf collection " Largest collections on Bugatti's in the world. Originally crated as a private collection by the Suhlumpf brothers syphoning money from their company which finally bankrupted the company and the French government impounded it & opened it to the public.

Guest JudgeMental

yes she is a fully fledged, born again lycra lout!:-D

I have a Grace Easy on loan from a friend as one of our bikes developed a fault just before coming away.....Its a smashing 3.5 K german bike, but she would still rather she had brought her road bike! :-S Its the weight of ebikes she don't like, ours are 19 kg so hardly heavy as e bikes go *-)

The thing is where we go in Italy there is no way she will be getting up some of the hills on a road bike..she will be walking and i will be waiting and getting more and more frustrated as I like to press on and ride *-)

Anyway suns out, and Germany calling! and we are away soon cycling over the border for lunch and a swim! :D

Guest JudgeMental
weather deteriorated so headed south! Torrential rain and hailstorms through into Switzerland. Sitting in port on lake Como, on free wifi thanks to the faculity x box and unlocked wifi in local cafe......the hailstones were so big cars were sheltering under bridges on motorway, have never seen anything like it, zero visibility........forecast for tomorrow and onwards brilliant! :-D

Guest JudgeMental
Brian Kirby - 2013-07-29 7:15 PM

Good! Just stay out of the ditches! :-D

Yes well......I am learning to live with the pain *-) cycling fine, walking difficult, need to put foot up now and again. when you read about sprains they are not that straight forward! The holidaz must go on!!!! :D

really lovely here in Como, going to spend tomorrow up in Belagio where we honeymooned, and have lunch in the hotel we stayed in:-D

Archived