Alsace region

Guest JudgeMental

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JudgeMental - 2013-07-29 7:56 PM

Brian Kirby - 2013-07-29 7:15 PM

Good! Just stay out of the ditches! :-D

Yes well......I am learning to live with the pain *-) cycling fine, walking difficult, need to put foot up now and again. when you read about sprains they are not that straight forward! The holidaz must go on!!!! :D

really lovely here in Como, going to spend tomorrow up in Belagio where we honeymooned, and have lunch in the hotel we stayed in:-D

Hi Eddie,

I knew you were a big old softee at heart, either treat her well or don't eat the mushrooms, your choice.

derek

Guest JudgeMental

Well developments......moi has fallen madly in luv with a German lawyer and she with me..it is a most odd situation as she is not only intelligent but beautiful as well! Italy has this sort of effect on one I guess! :-D

Ankle still playing up but I soldier on regardless!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JudgeMental

Good run up from Italy, no traffic holdups. We stayed at Como on last night in Italy, and hit the Gotthard tunnel at 7am and just went straight through. In summary Alsace a nice enough area, what stood out was the quality of municipal sites compared to some of the pretty poor offerings elsewhere in France were standards can be far more variable…cycling networks also very impressive. But it’s a pretty boring experience compared to the delights of Italy. Weather was very good though….

3 weeks since I sprained my ankle and could not find tube grip in any pharmacy I tried, cycling was OK, walking more difficult, was getting a lot better until climbing over a low fence at gravelines aire the other night and it has gone again…On the subject of Gravelines it is still 6€ and still no Borne. While going to the bins got chatting to a chap, new to motorhoming with an old autotrail that had belonged to our Clive Gotobed, he asked me has I paid, I said yes of course, Then he says the chap in UK van with generator running (god knows why!) 3 vans down and “adventures before dementia” plastered on back of the van, had laughingly told him that he never pays, so this chap decides to follow his example and do likewise!

France really still is motorhome heaven, the provision for touring/parking really very good, and supermarket fuel cheap (1.33 €) (Luxemburg 1.21€) (Italy from 1.60 – 1.65 and a lot higher! so fill whenever..) Found France very expensive, prices the same as UK if not higher, whereas Italy eating out far better value and quality. Italy (at least around the upmarket lakes) becoming more difficult with parking restrictions and height barriers, did not have this problem in Tuscany/Umbria last year…Its getting like here but thankfully not quite that bad yet!

What really peeved was we went up to Bellagio on lake Como where we spent a week of our honeymoon, with the intention of having lunch in the lovely hotel we stayed in. Large car park on edge of town and no motorhome parking…Should have done what the Italians do and just ignore regulations…we just parked up anyway and had a walk around but did not really feel comfortable re the parking so left the lunch.

Bought a 3G sim for Ipad from WIND shop ( a bit like orange) 19€, 9€ for sim and 10€ credit. It worked fine and cheaper and more flexible than site wifi ( it even started working for one evening in northern france!) For some reason it did not work to well on pitch but no problem elsewhere...

We thought maybe a caravan would offer more flexibility, but after I sobered up! that was forgotten about! Now that the kids grown I was thinking of going back to a demountable camper, but the wife has said no way! Far to small…..maybe buy a caravan and leave it down on our favourite site (500€ a year) but than what do I do the rest of time. Spain etc….so for now will stick with van and e bikes

Love Italy but France just doesn't do it for us, OK for a break and we did have a nice enough time in the Alsace, but our hearts belong to Italy……

Thanks for that excellent info Eddie.....(glad we missed)...i mean seriously, pity we missed you, too hot down here.

Hope all is well with your foot & you are feeling much more mobile after going for a dip !

Happy travels ;-)

Glad you had a great time Eddie. Yes Italy is a great holiday destination, but our hearts belong to France, well certainly when motorhoming.Now at the aire in Mouzon, on way home, and here epitomizes why motorhoming here is so good. We are parked right on side of the canal, individual hard standing hedged pitches, electricity, unlimited WiFi etc. Last night we were chatting with a family from Poland on the way in their yacht to the Med before walking into town for a really nice meal. Today after nice walk on canal relaxing in Sun watching boats come in glass of wine in hand. What life style could be better.

're Gravelines then there is a born, operated by credit card, not where you park but just further round road and signed from the parking aire. (Co-ordinates on camping-car infos web site). Regarding the none payers you mention then they deserve to be caught and fined. We too find some Brits there refuse to pay but we have seen them check tickets and remind them of that.

JudgeMental - 2013-08-15 1:10 PM

Forgot to mention..Gravelines now has 1 hour free internet access on Aire courtesy of port authority.

Don't suppose you have the sat co ords for Gravelines do you? We got lost trying to find it in June.

JudgeMental - 2013-08-15 1:10 PM

Forgot to mention..Gravelines now has 1 hour free internet access on Aire courtesy of port authority.

Don't suppose you have the sat co ords for Gravelines do you? We got lost trying to find it in June.

Eddie,

Glad you enjoyed yourselves, except for your accident. I think it would be hard not to love Italy as it is lovely. We like the smaller Lake Iseo with its peace and quiet.

Anyway, off to France tomorrow heading for Alsace, Annecy and Chamonix, well thats the plan but there is still 24 hrs to go yet.

good luck

derek

Guest JudgeMental
Yes sprains are complicated and very painful *-) have a great trip Derek! Manu sorry to spoil your fun but drainage ditch was bone dry..it was well over 30 deg :-D with the amount of people you see hobbling around in plaster or on crutches on holiday I consider myself very lucky.....at least I was able to cycle, swim etc....

Archived