How much should trade in value fall due to high mileage

Mardee

lennyhb - 2013-06-20 7:01 PM

BGD - 2013-06-20 2:41 PM

Why on Earth change your van after only 5 years and 55,000 miles?

It's in reality just run in, and all the early depreciation has now happened.

It'll depreciate at a much slower rate from now on........and assuming you can still live with the layout, just save the money that you would have thrown away by going through the same buy-new-depreciate-terribly-when-part-exchanging money pit in another few years; and spend it instead on touring a LOT more in your current van, all over Europe.

Sorted.

Yes true but although the deprecation is slowing down in later years over the last few years the cost of new vans has and still is increasing at an alarming rate.

I am considering changing my van now 5 years old and only 23k on the clock currently for the van I'm looking at it will cost me about 25k to change. If I leave it another 5 years the cost to change will be in the range of 40 - 50K and income will have fallen as we will both be fully retired in the next couple of years. So if we wait we probably won't be able to afford to change.

Solution?

Easy: in 5 years time don't buy a new van.

Buy a second-hand van.

In 5 years time, if you want to change vehicles, chop your van in against one that's (say) 3 or 4 years old, in perfect nick, with lots of bells and whistles added by the first owner, and with just a few thousand on the clock......and upon which the utterly catastrophic first couple of years of depreciation have been suffered by someone else rather than you.

Then at least you're not throwing literally tens of thousands of your hard earned pounds straight down the drain.

The annual costs of running a motorhome really are as naught to the cost of depreciation of such a thing, especially in the first 2 or 3 years if bought new.

lennyhb - 2013-06-20 7:44 PM

Yer but some of us like ours toys to be new. (lol)

Then spend all that dosh saved buy buying a secondhand van on a virgin........................if you can find one!

Archived