Is it just me or...

hallii

do the sponge mattresses make your back ache?

I do not suffer with a back problem, my bed at home is fine, as soon as I start sleeping in the M/H spongy bed then I start to get backache.

I have been to look at foam at my local upholsterers and I reckon the mattress we have is of a "firm" grade.

I know foam does not last forever but I am not sure what to do, I would order a new mattress but I need to know if I am ordering the right grade (I THINK very high density might do).

I used to sleep on a Dunlopillo mattress many years ago, but that's not made any more.

A made to measure spring mattress costs a lot of money, but it might be the only way?

H

Guest pelmetman
We changed the foam in our camper a few years back to 4" better quality foam which made a big difference ;-)

Hi H,

I`ve recently bought 2 of these :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Memory-Foam-MattressTopper-Choose-Your-Thickness-and-Sizes-/230993392902?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Mattresses&var=&hash=item35c8477506

I bought the 2" Small Doubles, 1 for the Rear Fixed bed and 1 for the Front Lounge bed and

trimmed them to size with a New Craft Knife Blade.

We make up the front one as well and have a Double bed each.

Saves one of us having to climb over the top at daft o`clock for the loo.............LOL.

Both me and the wife are amazed at the difference they have made especially to the Front

Lounge Bed and we are seriously considering getting the one for home .

For £31.99 each i thought i take a chance and being 2" thick the front one will roll up and

store, the wife had to make covers for them but found it very easy using Flat Sheet Covers

from Dunelm .

I did look at the Duvalay ones from Raskelf but 2 X Doubles and the price was getting a little silly.

Guest JudgeMental
Yes they do! Truly awful......even the piece of ply trick doesn't work......One ot the reasons I bought the Adria, as it has a really fine sprung mattress. Actually from a UK company..... we do get some things right!lol

Everybody's back is different and the only way to find out what suits you is to sleep on it because no matter how good a mattress might seem to one person another might find it truly awful.

In this regard cost has little to do with what is most comfortable and as it is generally part time use durability is less of an issue than it is at home so if you want it softer try the cheapest option first which is a memory foam topper and if you want it harder a thick blanket or two, or even a sheet of cardboard between mattress and sleeping bag might help you to find out what is needed for you.

I doubt a wooden board will help as the mattress is already on a wooden base in most cases?

Guest JudgeMental

Look.......The thing you do most in a camper (apart from driving it) is spend time in bed..its is my numero uno priority. king size bed with sprung mattress, and the ability to sit upright to read, and have a cup of tea.

Lounging 2nd. cooking 3rd bathroom 4th

JudgeMental - 2013-06-11 6:34 PM

Look.......The thing you do most in a camper (apart from driving it) is spend time in bed..its is my numero uno priority. king size bed with sprung mattress, and the ability to sit upright to read, and have a cup of tea.

Lounging 2nd. cooking 3rd bathroom 4th

I agree - but the whole point is that it matters little whether your mattress is sprung interior and costs megabucks or is foam plastic and came from a car boot sale - it just needs to be comfortable and the right hardness or softness for the individual and price is no guarantee of that.

Once again you just have to disrupt yet another sensible thread with your insults, name calling and unpleasantries to anyone who has a differing point of view.

Why do you do it - why are you so consistently unpleasant - Judgedmental by name and by nature certainly sums you up.

Why can't you simply say - 'I disagree with your point of view' - or just post your view without commenting on what was said before - everybody else manages to post their view without insulting you so how hard can that be for you to try?

No smileys from me as I'm not trying to hide behind alleged humour like you do.

Same as IPS. I sleep better in the van bed than at home but then I also put that down to the increased activity / fresh air / Leffe Blond / more sex :-D Not necessarily in that order.

You could hold an orgy on our rear lounge bed but sadly Ive never been allowed one. 8o|

Stalwart

Profile PM

talking out your arse as per usual.....whens the last time you bought a proper bed

Sorry Judge but I agree with Tracker as I have tried a few mattresses there again I may be talking out of my arse as well.

Mike.

Do a Google search there are quite a few companies about that will make custom size mattresses, last time I looked a sprung one was under £200 expect to pay a lot more for a good quality foam one.

A lot of German vans use a 7 zone foam ones that has different densities for different areas of your body. Our van has a sprung one but it's actually a mix of springs & foam I sleep better on it than the Vi-Spring at home.

Guest JudgeMental
Mickydripin - 2013-06-11 9:18 PM

Stalwart

Profile PM

talking out your arse as per usual.....whens the last time you bought a proper bed

Sorry Judge but I agree with Tracker as I have tried a few mattresses there again I may be talking out of my arse as well.

Mike.

No way Mike.........he has turned it into an art form!lol

Hi

I also quite agree, the foam mattresses made my back ache, did get a topper which was ok, I am afraid in the end splashed out on a bespoke mattress from Care-avan, it was costly, Oh! But so worth it. It rivals the bed at home now.

;-)

Thanks for the input, I have bought one of those 10mm camping mats and put that on top of the mattress with the memory foam topper on top.

It feels OK on test, but I won't know until I go out for a while in the van.

If it hasn't worked then I will buy one of the sprung mattresses on offer, from the link above I have found that they do my size (4' 3" x 6' 3" ). I still have the problem of getting a firm one to suit me though. I might have to have a run out and have a lie down test of one.

It's my size that is the problem I think, I am 6' 2" and 115kg, so a mattress has to be able to cope with my weight.

Anyway. I now have a plan, (I do like a good plan) thanks again.

H

Archived