Calais to Annecy

dawki

I am going down to Annecy next week and wanted to take a slow drive down and stop probably about 3rd to half way down and stay a couple of nights on a site.

Looking for decent town and a site where I can do some cycling/walking as I don't know this route any help would be good.

Many thanks

Hello dawki.

To the East of Troyes there are a couple of largish lakes and some quite large forest's (Forest Orient) both with good flat cycling in and around them.

There is a campsite called "Camping aux Moines" just outside the village of Geraudot on the D43 which is quite good for a couple of days, we have visited it three times. If you don't want the campsite there is an Aire next to it but does get full so you would need to be there pretty early, probably get 10-15 vans on it.

Dave

nowtelse2do - 2013-06-12 8:01 PM

Hello dawki.

To the East of Troyes there are a couple of largish lakes and some quite large forest's (Forest Orient) both with good flat cycling in and around them.

There is a campsite called "Camping aux Moines" just outside the village of Geraudot on the D43 which is quite good for a couple of days, we have visited it three times. If you don't want the campsite there is an Aire next to it but does get full so you would need to be there pretty early, probably get 10-15 vans on it.

Dave

Lac du Der. No need to bother with a campsite as there are three Aires around the lake. The one at the top is just a small car park but the other two are more wide spread and nicer. Both free but you need to get a token for services from the Ti or bar in the village.

You can cycle right around the lake mainly on a cycle path. I think its about 25KM.

Recommend the route Cambrai, Charleville Mezieres down towards Nancy. Good Aire on river bank at Pont a Mousson. Good site at Nancy on bus route into town.

Then Epinal, Vesoul, Besancon, Lons la Saunier (good site here and also at Arbois)

Then St.Claude to Bellegarde via Col de la Faucille (picturesque) to Annecy

Dave

Unfortunately I think this aire is now closed, shame as it was nice.

Pete

peejay - 2013-06-13 2:28 PM

Dave

Pete

That is a shame because it was a very nice aire with a good view over the lake. Barryd999 did say there were two more aires though, so not all is lost.

Dave

This is all very helpful so thanks everybody, lots to look at before the middle of next week.

Thanks for route suggestion, can you tell me the name of the sites you suggest please, as I like to stay on sites and aires

Is there any roads I need to avoid with a 7.5 m 4 ton van?

• 3 weeks later...
Caddies104 - 2013-06-14 3:04 PM

Hi

We are at Annecy now, weather has been very hot,,,, the last 100 miles can be hilly if you choose the wrong route, so plan carefully...

We are planning to go to Annecy in September so please could you expand on what you mean by the "wrong route" please?

martin h - 2013-07-02 2:39 PM

Hi

We are at Annecy now, weather has been very hot,,,, the last 100 miles can be hilly if you choose the wrong route, so plan carefully...

We are planning to go to Annecy in September so please could you expand on what you mean by the "wrong route" please?

Hi

If you go via Bourge-en-Bresse for instance we tend to pick up the A40 Toll there until junction 11 then take a scenic route down the D1508, straight into Annecy, only costs a few Euro's and can save a few hours..

What we tend to do is compare via our Sat Nav hours along normal roads against Tolls and if it is really excessive times, we jump on a Toll. Cannot remember as we have been to Annecy several times but once it took us 6 hours to do 180 miles, wish then I had jumped on a Toll that time... Hope that helps..

Where are you stopping, we were in Doussard....

Derek & Pauline

peejay - 2013-06-13 2:28 PM

Dave

Pete

We stayed at the campsite 10 days ago and the aire is indeed closed.

Caddies104 - 2013-07-03 10:41 AM

martin h - 2013-07-02 2:39 PM

Hi

Hi

If you go via Bourge-en-Bresse for instance we tend to pick up the A40 Toll there until junction 11 then take a scenic route down the D1508, straight into Annecy, only costs a few Euro's and can save a few hours..

What we tend to do is compare via our Sat Nav hours along normal roads against Tolls and if it is really excessive times, we jump on a Toll. Cannot remember as we have been to Annecy several times but once it took us 6 hours to do 180 miles, wish then I had jumped on a Toll that time... Hope that helps..

Where are you stopping, we were in Doussard....

Derek & Pauline

Thanks, not sure where to stay yet, we are going in September so only at the planning stage. We will be looking at a site in walking distance of Annecy if possible.

Thanks

Martin

Hi All

Back a couple of days ago after a great trip, loved Lake Annoy.

Very many thanks for your help and very useful replies, they proved very valuable

The last bit of the journey was very hilly but very enjoyable loved seeing how the little L 2.1 Merc engine managed to get 3.8tons up some of them hills

Archived