Water systems and cleansing

Caroline

Numpty question here……….

How do you purify your fresh water system….

Do you fill everything up and add the solution and let it soak? drive round with it? How often do you do it..

Then reading about delimescaling, I to like the idea of vinegar is it the same process?

They seem such silly questions but I am not 100% sure how it should be done, and any tips would be appreciated.

(?)

Hi Caroline

I tend to clean the water system once a year and use Puriclean which is designed for the purpose.

It won't damage your stainless steel boiler or sinks which if you use anything with chlorine in will. Puriclean is sold at most caravan / motorhome stores or is available online.

However as the Judge says if you use you fresh water regularly and drain it down after every trip and fill with fresh each time it may not be necessary to clean it as regularly as I do. If you travel to hotter climates and leave the water in the tank longer or maybe filling with water from questionable sources then you may need to clean more frequently.

Gavin

Another vote here for Puriclean :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Puriclean-400g-Tub-Caravan-Motorhome-Water-System-Cleaner-/271220704821?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item3f26038635

I`ve used it on the van from new and it works a treat. I do mine twice a year.

Just follow the instructions on the container.

It`s cheaper at Riversway Leisure but i`m lucky as i only live 10 mins from their shop.

We don't.

In all our years using MH's we've never done so.

We never drain it either.

We simply top it up to the brim (125 litres) with fresh (tap) water at home before leaving on a tour, and then replenish from taps along the way when the water level gauge says we're down below 33 litres.

We don't drink that water, nor do we use it for cooking. But we do use it for washing/showering, and for washing up.

Archived