Over 70 Driving License

BONON

I am now aged 73, does anyone know if I can now apply to have my license renewed to drive a vehicle up to 7.5 ton. I passed my test in 1962. I did not apply when I reached 70 but would now like to up grade my M/Home. Regards.

BONON - 2013-06-13 2:21 PM

I am now aged 73, does anyone know if I can now apply to have my license renewed to drive a vehicle up to 7.5 ton. I passed my test in 1962. I did not apply when I reached 70 but would now like to up grade my M/Home. Regards.

Yes you can, just get the forms from dvla and arrange medical with your gp.

I did exactly the same as you and did get my license back after months of waiting but have now decided it is not worth the worry every 3 years so we have changed to one of the new lighter vans and will stick to 3500 kgs from now on

Good luck sorting it out

Mrs T - 2013-06-13 9:44 PM

A medical will cost you around £100, each year. If you are anticipating driving a M/H bear in mind that you may fail the medical next year and have a vehicle you cannot drive.

MT

My understanding is that if you are merely recovering your "grandfather rights", the frequency for new licences and medicals post 70 years is every three years (as for those who decide to apply to retain their rights at 70), and not every year.

However, I believe the OP may need to prove to DVLA that he was previously licenced to drive vehicles with an MAM exceeding 3.5 tonnes, because I think he may find his driving licence entitlement record has by now been erased by DVLA. Something to check before paying for the medical!

Does the DVLA contact you when your driving licence expires at 70, and whats the procedure for seeing your G.P. to get a new photo licence, what will satisfy medicaly the G.P. and I assume you have to pay your G.P for this service.

chas - 2013-06-14 7:51 AM

Does the DVLA contact you when your driving licence expires at 70, and whats the procedure for seeing your G.P. to get a new photo licence, what will satisfy medicaly the G.P. and I assume you have to pay your G.P for this service.

Brian Kirby's post of 1st. June on the thread provided with a link by 'Pepe' (above) tells you all that you need to know, Chas.

Cheers,

Colin.

Archived