Why so few lady drivers?

robertandjean

Guest JudgeMental
PJay - 2013-06-13 6:38 PM

The reason I won't drive the van, is because HE makes me nervous when I drive him in MY car. "TOO CLOSE" "GOING TO FAST" So I refuse to drive the van, and also because I have never driven on the "Wrong side of the road" and we have a right hand drive van and usually only use it over the water.

Another job I don't do, is empty the LOO. Any way my job is navigating, deciding where to go, cooking and other" house" jobs

PJay

Yeah...it's normally the mans fault! :-D

My wife a terrible driver....but my daughter excellent and she has just turned 22 . It took the wife 5 attempts to pass test, whereas daughter and moi passed first time :-|

I love to drive my van, the more I do it the more confident I get. I did find that the OH all ways thought it was his job and did not really give me a chance to jump in the driver’s seat.

I think I would agree with the blue and pink jobs, but I also feel it is essential for the co-pilot to be able to take over the driving at the drop of a hat, as emergencies happen at the most unexpected times.

Plus if somthing more drastic happens and you are confident to drive, your adventures do not stop.

:->

Caroline - 2013-06-17 2:14 PM

, but I also feel it is essential for the co-pilot to be able to take over the driving at the drop of a hat, as emergencies happen at the most unexpected times.

I agree with all you say Caroline, I have a migraine now and then, and so far it hasn't caused us any delay, but there's always going to be an exception.

Trouble is,............ my wife's a better navigator, and had both eyes sorted, (cataracts), so has better than 20:20 vision; distant signposts just aren't a problem, even at a miles range ! Torn between safer sight for driving, and better sight for navigating!

When we get back into the swing of things I think I'll step back once in a while,

happy trips

alan b

nona farm - 2013-06-16 10:46 PM

I love to drive!. I also love being a lady driver. My husband has real problems with his eyes and has decided it would be safer if he didn't drive our motorhome. I think he is amazing to make that decision as he still has his full licence, however it makes it so much easier for me. Yes, people look at me in a funny sort of way , especially here in the uk. But we love our travels all over the Uk and Europe, and I think he is proud of me driving our big Swift Sundance. It's so easy to drive, and I have the same licence as he does, but I can see!!!!!!! although I am a different sex to put it nicely!.

We will continue for as long as I am able, but I don't need the pathetic looks from the macho males.

I'm sure you don't Nona -- but I am afraid that you will get them from macho/chauvinistic males!

I am in a similar category as your husband. As some people on here know, I have been blind in my right eye since boyhood. I learned to drive (reluctantly and with difficulty) because it was a neccesary skill for my career at the time. When my wife and I married, we both had a car, because she was in the same 'business' ( Local Authority 'field' Social Work) and, like me, was paid expenses for so doing. She is a much more confident and skilled driver than I am, having lived on a farm and driven on farm 'roads' since the age of ten, passing her test 'first time' at the age of seventeen -- which means driving for just short of fifty years, with no acccidents which could in any way be attributed to her -- not a bad record!

After children 'came along', my wife sold her car and I bought a 'family' model, doing the bulk of the driving. As time went on, however and motorways became more numerous (particularly the dreaded M25!) and neccessary for us to use when visiting her family 300+ miles away, she took over more of the most demanding driving (at night and in very bad weather/visibility for example), so that, by the time that we retired and bought a 'van she was almost the sole driver when we went anywhere together.

She had also driven a hired 'white van' in order to transport our son's (he's a non-driver) belongings from home to university accomodation.

Our first taste of 'vanning' was on holiday in New Zealand. I had every intention of driving, only to find, like your husband, that my general eyesight had suddenly (temporarily) deteriorated to a point where I felt that driving at all would be unwise, if not downright dangerous, so Liz ended up driving for the whole five weeks --4000Km, or 2500 miles! An extreme example of male chauvinism ocurred when we were leaving a campsite and a loud-mouthed Australian male, with whom we had previously been having a drink and a conversation, on seeing Liz get into the driver's seat (and not me) exclaimed: "Don't trust a Sheila (or is it Shelagh?) driver!" He got a right mouthful -- not from Liz -- from me!

On return to England we just HAD to buy a 'van (!). The eye condition (post vitreous detachment) which had affected the sight of my seeing eye was dealt with at the local hospital eye dept. and is now (largely) returned to normal -- to the degree that I will drive our small car on local errands, etc., but Liz still does the bulk of the 'dificult' driving. I am also quite a competent navigatotor -- so that's my main role! I have retained my licence and will continue to do so as long as my eyesight is deemed ( by the medics.) to be safe enough to drive -- I can still happily satisfy the DVLA conditions -- just so that I can act a 'reserve' in any emergency/other contingency. I would feel very guilty/useless if I couldn't do so when/if required to.

I am sorry that this has turned out to be so lengthy, but I felt that the case for 'lady 'van drivers' should be laid out fully!

'Good on 'yer' Nona, keep it up!

Cheers,

Colin.

Caroline - 2013-06-17 2:14 PM

I love to drive my van, the more I do it the more confident I get. I did find that the OH all ways thought it was his job and did not really give me a chance to jump in the driver’s seat.

I think I would agree with the blue and pink jobs, but I also feel it is essential for the co-pilot to be able to take over the driving at the drop of a hat, as emergencies happen at the most unexpected times.

Plus if somthing more drastic happens and you are confident to drive, your adventures do not stop.

I Couldn't agree more Caroline --see previous post!

Colin.

Archived