Stoping for a cat nap enroute in night

simms123

We will be traveling down to near La Rochelle in the 2ndweek of August

Will arrive in France and then drive until tired then stop for a quick nap

Can you pull onto an aide in the middle of the night or open to all suggestions

Thanks in anticipation

Guest pelmetman
Aide? :-S................I assume you mean an aire ;-)................then yes, there's no time limit to what time you arrive or leave............. :D

Get yourself a copy of All the Aires France from Vicarious Books. Find a couple in the area your heading for and program them into the satnav.

The general opinion is its best to avoid motorway service station Aires as they are not generally regarded as safe. The Aire de Camping Car which are generally in towns or villages on the other hand are perfectly safe although you might not be popular if arriving very late and many popular ones in peak season may well be full.

Guest JudgeMental
we tend to drive overnight and pull into an Aire about 3-4 am. Be prepared for some curtain twitching:-D

Guest JudgeMental
Tony Jones - 2013-06-14 8:06 AM

That's only because you insist on wearing that wig even when you're on holiday Eddie! :D

WIG?!?! My flowing locks are entirely natural *-)

JudgeMental - 2013-06-14 8:18 AM

Tony Jones - 2013-06-14 8:06 AM

That's only because you insist on wearing that wig even when you're on holiday Eddie! :D

WIG?!?! My flowing locks are entirely natural *-)

Must be the harem then :D

JudgeMental - 2013-06-14 12:10 AM

we tend to drive overnight and pull into an Aire about 3-4 am. Be prepared for some curtain twitching:-D

So its you that chugs in at sparrow fart waking everyone up! *-)

I hate driving at night. Anyway its a waste of valuable drinking time! (unless you do both at the same time 8-) )

Guest JudgeMental
Barryd999 - 2013-06-14 10:36 AM

JudgeMental - 2013-06-14 12:10 AM

So its you that chugs in at sparrow fart waking everyone up! *-)

I hate driving at night. Anyway its a waste of valuable drinking time! (unless you do both at the same time 8-) )

I guess so....

One of the best things about aires, being able to turn up at anytime.....I used to work permenant nights so used to it.....and just find it a much quicker time to travel, particulirily in high season, plus with a family, they would sleep all the way and it just worked out well for us.

As for the drinking. I worked in a safety critical area, so no alcohol, regular tests strictly applied, so could only drink at weekends anyway..you sound like you have a problem :D

Guest JudgeMental
flicka - 2013-06-14 9:53 PM

Middle of the silly season & arriving at almost any Aire in the middle of the night could be your worst nightmare. Many are full mid/late afternoon :-(

That's true,, but I was talking about inland aires on route to a touristy destination, never had a problem yet...

We mainly give aires a wide berth high season, as most are packed and more like a depressing refugee camp.

Archived