What does the panel think

rudders

I have looked on with great interest at the thread regarding awnings with a well known club and got to be thinking that us motorhomers seem to be being squeezed a little, and came round to thinking whether we as motorhomers get value for money with our yearly fee, in comparison to the tuggers,, I have booked an affiliated sight which happened to win campsite of the year again, only to be asked the length of my vehicle, it seems to me that if you have a caravan and awning, plus a car, then you will be allocated a larger pitch and yet will pay the same money, so to me there seems to be a two tier system. I have been a member for some six years now and yet apart from the early days I have found that the larger sites do not suit our lifestyle,apart from the site which we have booked which is relatively small. We far prefer, the cl sites for a bit of peace and quiet, however I do realise that some of us prefer the larger sites, my argument here is that do you think that the club should reduce its prices if one is only interested in a certain part of the network. ie full price if you want all or part payment if you require one or the other what are your views on this.

Asking for a fee reduction in site fees will never work as these clubs are money hungry but if you suggest they charge more for tuggers with all the trimmings they would like that idea .  Both clubs are not motor home friendly as we are mostly short stayers unlike tuggers who like to get settled for a long stay with their awnings and wind breaks. 

As a CC member, I recognise there is merit in the CC listening more to its motorhome members and looking at what it offers them. However, sites are already priced according to services available and so the smaller sites tend to be cheaper.

Motorhomers do get the benefit of motorhome service points, most of which are pretty useful, and so the question must be asked whether we should pay more for that.

Electricity included in pitch fees has caused grumbles ever since it was introduced because motorhomers often do not want the wire. That may be different nowadays with so many British vans designed around the use of electric eg electric heaters, hot plates. Continental vans are catching up but from my recent viewing of models, still seem more reliant on being self contained.

Given that nothing can be absolutely air, then the CC probably get it right overall and so I see no need to change the charging structure.

hi Kelly and brock, reading my own post here it must have been very hard to digest, however I was at the time of compiling, on my third glass of sauvignon , firstly I am not asking that they increase prices for caravanners. it is for me about the total subscription price one has to pay and not wanting to use the full facilities of the club, ie ( cl sites only ) as we like to do, coupled with this my insurance renewal was over £100 dearer than last year, so naturally we did not renew with them, so far we have not used the club cl sites either, as the 3 weeks we have been away so far, have all been on independent sites with excellent facilities and amenities, and probably these sites work out cheaper, all of which were accomodating units of less than fifty ,any bigger than this and we would not entertain them anyway ,these sites some of which are from the premium sites guide, have certainly opened our eyes to what else is available for similar pitch fees, so to sum up we will almost certainly forgo our membership renewal next year, as for us there really is life outside the clubs, regards

I think that it is important to remember that both the CC and the CCC are limited companies, started with a club ethos but now act as commercial organisations. A quick look through the Camping and Caravanning Club magazine will show that it has very little readable content and is primarily concerned with selling various pieces of camping kit. The main reason for being a member of either club is the DA or Centres who are entirely run by volunteers, offer wonderful weekends and holidays and in my experience with the Camping and Caravanning Club are offered very little support from the management of the club. The club members have no say in the running of the club sites.

Try the DA and Centre meets, good people, good value and generally free of the petty rules of the main sites, they also need the support of campers, many are folding due to lack of new blood.

That's enough for a Saturday morning rant, could go on for ages about this subject and get banned from the forum >:-)

Both clubs have changed over time, as their memberships have changed. Motorhome ownership, it seems, is growing relative to caravan ownership, which itself grew at the expense of tenters and trailer tenters. So, over time, the clubs will have to adapt to the requirements of the growing number of motorhomers, or lose their memberships. At present, it seems to me, caravanners dominate within both clubs, so dictate the bias of what is offered to members. If more motorhomers join, some will inevitably drift onto the various committees, so will begin to put forward the views of motorhomers.

But, I think variable pricing based on the facilities site "guests" say they will use is a complete non-starter. There are enough complaints of the "Hitler" style wardens already, without getting them patrolling the site after dark to see who has sneaked an EHU, or standing at the door of the shower block to check that only those who have paid get in! There is no obligation on anyone to join either club, or visit any of their sites. They are what they are. If folk don't like them, just go elsewhere.

But, what I really don't understand, is why folk rehearse their gripes about either organsiation on here. If you don't like their service, just tell them, avoid them, leave, or go abroad. We do. :-)

Just like Brian says, we go abroad, it's warmer and there are few of the petty restrictions that are the problem in England, the rest of the Uk is slightly different although Club sites are club sites anywhere.

There are a couple of Motorhome specific Clubs and I was a member for a while, very good sites and not to expensive.

Having been given a small pitch "up the corner" so to speak on more than one occasion I no longer use club sites. I do use the CL/CS sites sometimes, but not the all singing dancing club sites.

H

yes we cannot wait to go on European adventures, and living 5 mins from the tunnel and 20 from dover this would be ideal, unfortunately we have an arthritic and elderly dog and for obvious reasons will have to bide our time.

Guest 1footinthegrave
We are currently on an acsi site in Langogne, France, wifi, electric,restaurant, and swimming pool,overlooking a beautiful lake for the princely sum of €14 a night. Caravan club, don't make me laugh

Guest pelmetman
rudders - 2013-06-15 7:42 PM

yes we cannot wait to go on European adventures, and living 5 mins from the tunnel and 20 from dover this would be ideal, unfortunately we have an arthritic and elderly dog and for obvious reasons will have to bide our time.

I wouldn't let that put you off ;-)....................our dog suffers in the winter a bit of lameness..........but he improved when we took him to Spain for Jan/Feb.............as did me and the better half B-)

Guest JudgeMental
rudders - 2013-06-16 2:08 PM

jesus I didn't know there were two of us meldrews!!!! that sounds like a real good bargain, and cannot wait to join you all, have a good holiday you lucky people.

Its not a bargain, just an off season rate available everywhere.....I'm sure the poor old dog would appreciate some deep heat......and he ain't going to get that here!

bertieburstner - 2013-06-17 1:14 PM

a few weeks ago I was on a caravan club site for £11.50 a night, with a facility block. (lol)

Careful! That sounds like another cue for people to post pictures of cheaper 'sites/Aires, some 5-600 miles away in France... (lol)

(..which of cause, they teleport to, for free.. (lol) )

no, but we did have a laugh! the oberlieutenant grupenfuhrer made us look at a piece of paper when we booked in. She said that if the motorhome had it's door this way round we should park with the post by the offside (or nearside or something like that) , if it was the other way etc etc I lost interest and began looking at her blankly and asked my wife when we were still in the office if she was listening and understood.

Yes of course she said. So when we got outside i asked her how we were supposed to park, she then said she hadn't a clue either! (lol) (lol)

so we just pitched up somewhere quiet and hoped for the best. Luckily at nightly roll call we were never there so got away with it.

we did speak to Mr warden who began telling us that this year there were lots of different types of pitch markers, some even have stripes! What it all means is anyones guess, my brains addled and we mainly stay on CL's anyway where mostly the owners don't care where you pitch hooray!!!

bertieburstner - 2013-06-17 3:41 PM

no, but we did have a laugh! the oberlieutenant grupenfuhrer made us look at a piece of paper when we booked in. She said that if the motorhome had it's door this way round we should park with the post by the offside (or nearside or something like that) , if it was the other way etc etc I lost interest and began looking at her blankly and asked my wife when we were still in the office if she was listening and understood.

Yes of course she said. So when we got outside i asked her how we were supposed to park, she then said she hadn't a clue either! (lol) (lol)

so we just pitched up somewhere quiet and hoped for the best. Luckily at nightly roll call we were never there so got away with it.

we did speak to Mr warden who began telling us that this year there were lots of different types of pitch markers, some even have stripes! What it all means is anyones guess, my brains addled and we mainly stay on CL's anyway where mostly the owners don't care where you pitch hooray!!!

Excellent post bertie'...and so true... (lol)

Although we haven't come across these new fangled coloured pegs yet....I dare say I'll need to do some reading up on the topic, before we venture onto another main CC site.... (lol)

We had a knock on the door at 4so at a cc site in Scotland a few yeast ago the warden chap told me i needed to move my van 2 foot to the right as we were not central to the marker we were still of course on the hard standing. My reply was something on the lines of you are avin a laugh mate. And no i didnt move.

For the record we dont mind were you pitch as long as the field is dry. :-D

Guest 1footinthegrave
rudders - 2013-06-16 2:08 PM

jesus I didn't know there were two of us meldrews!!!! that sounds like a real good bargain, and cannot wait to join you all, have a good holiday you lucky people.

I have to say, if we lived in Kent we would almost certainly be on first name terms with all the ferry crews, for starters ferry prices if booked ahead can be amazingly cheap, then landing in France is like coming to a "free" world, so few restrictions that are commonplace in the UK exist here, it's nothing short of a relevation,

Don't let anything stop you, jump on the ferry and embrace the French way of Motorhome use, trust me you will be back for more and more, put away any fears or misgivings you may have, and simply do it.

It's worth adding it can be as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be, so far this trip we have only used four sites, all of our other stops at free Aires, cost to date, 44 Euros, one of which in the square of a monastery after being invited to stay the night by the monks ¡

To its credit CC (Maybe CCC too ?) are making a positive move in advertising and describing there CL sites.

In forty years of vanning and homing, never used a CL, but some descriptions I have read in the magazine make me think is worth a try as the main sites fill up. As some have the facilities that we require.

Rgds

1footinthegrave - 2013-06-17 5:41 PM

It's worth adding it can be as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be, so far this trip we have only used four sites, all of our other stops at free Aires, cost to date, 44 Euros, one of which in the square of a monastery after being invited to stay the night by the monks ¡

You are splashing out a bit Mike, we are just back from 10 days in France spent 28€ on camping I got a right telling off from the wife on the last stop I spent 8€ on an Aire I fancied when we went for a walk she found a free wild spot that was much nicer.

I hope Henry's not looking at this thread it might start him off again. (lol)

Guest 1footinthegrave

Yes it's the missus with her hair dryer, steam iron, and all that malarky, although found a new aire service point with free electric and water at Herisson on the way down,only for 5 vans max, but we were the only ones there for two nights, was tempted to stay a few days, very nice spot by a park and riverside, very quiet spot indeed, one for your note book, a press of the button gives 1 hour of Electric.

Must pack a long stick for next time save me getting out of the van to keep pushing the button :D

Just kidding Henry.

Archived