fuel filler cap

mags

HI all, Having read different messages advising that it's a good idea to change your fuel cap so that the key doeasn't match your ignition - I went to a local car spares shop and asked about them. They have ordered and supplied a new locking fuel cap for a Fiat Ducato - BUT - a friend, who is a mechanic says I should have bought a proper Fiat one because this one doesn't seem to be a venting cap (what ever that is) and the original might have been (although it doesn't look like one !) He says it might stop the diesel flowing to the engine - any ideas ? Do I take this one back and get a proper Fiat one ?

Hi, I have heard the same story, but i do find it a bit strange, after 2002 Ducatos were fitted as standard with a Thatcham approved imobilisor and if you were able to get a blank cut from the orginal fuel cap lock, it almost certainly wouldn't have the imobilisor sender that matched your vehicle.

[QUOTE]mags - 2006-08-04 6:39 PM HI all, Having read different messages advising that it's a good idea to change your fuel cap so that the key doeasn't match your ignition - I went to a local car spares shop and asked about them. They have ordered and supplied a new locking fuel cap for a Fiat Ducato - BUT - a friend, who is a mechanic says I should have bought a proper Fiat one because this one doesn't seem to be a venting cap (what ever that is) and the original might have been (although it doesn't look like one !) He says it might stop the diesel flowing to the engine - any ideas ? Do I take this one back and get a proper Fiat one ?[/QUOTE]

If the cap you have doesn't vent, and the Fiat one does, the danger is that no air enters the fuel tank to replace the volume of the diesel the engine drinks. 

There are three possibilities:

1 The engine dies from fuel starvation.

2 The engine keeps going, but the vacuum in the tank flattens the tank.

3 A bit of both.

All best avoided. 

Check what the Fiat cap actually is and, if a vent is necessary, check whether the one you bought does, in fact, have a vent. 

If you told the supplier that it was for a Fiat Ducato, he shouldn't have sold you a non venting cap if a venting one is required (and vice versa, for that matter).

If it's wrong, take it back and get it changed, or ask for your money back.

Thanks - I asked for a cap for a Fiat Ducato so when he checked in his catalogue if it didn't give a cholce then I should have got the correct one ? I'll give them a ring tomorow to check. I can't tell whether the original is a venting cap or not anyway ! I suppose I could ring a Fiat dealer as well to check.

I changed my cap after having my last van stolen and suspected thats the way they drove it away. Taking the cap to pieces the barrel stampings are plain to see, I did speak to Fiat uk direct concerning the vehicle security they promised to pass the information on to HQ although he did state that you can get a locking petrol flap but obviously the unit cost would be greater than the one bought by van converters. The replacement i bought didnt appear vented I havent had any problems at all 4k since change. Best way to check is go for a run and take the cap off if there is an excessive rush of air then you may have a problem, although someone may confirm that the Fiat tanks are vented and wont impact. Immobilisers can be bypassed its not rocket science. Its up to the owner to put as many obstacles in the way of these noisome people. Pete

Ive got a Fiat Ducatto registered in Holland in 2000 so I assumed it was probally a 1999 version.I queried this fact about copying a key made from a stolen fuel cap with the workshop manager of the local Fiat commercial dealer.He said that the key is chipped & even if someone did copy it ,it wouldnt start the engine.Who do I believe,Who's the expert out there???

Changing the filler cap would stop a thief nicking it to get a duplicate key cut, even if you had an immobiliser fitted it wouldn't stop the contents of your 'van being nicked. If they were able to by-pass the original immobiliser then they could nick the van as well. However, if you have an alarm fitted with a second immobiliser do you need to worry about your van being nicked? Even if they got the first immobiliser off, I suspect they wouldn't be able to by-pass the second one unless they were very skilled! The only way they would be able move it would be to low-load it which, to be honest, they could do without gaining access to the vehicle in any case, although it wouldn't be as easy but then your alarm would be sounding wouldn't it and hopefully arouse suspicion. If they wanted to gain entry they don't even have to go to all the bother of getting a key, there are ways to get in motorhomes without them .. has anyone got sliding windows? Try to see if you can get something between the centre section where the 2 pieces join, on smaller windows it wouldn't be that easy but on the larger ones the amount of flex in the plastic could make it quite easy. If you really want to make your van secure you need to cover all the possible ways a thief would gain entry, not just one, they will go for the easiest way they can. As for the filler cap - again, wouldn't it be simply to swap it with a trusted friend who's got the same base vehicle? Or am I missing something?

Hi, I had a look at getting my fuel cap off without the key, and it would be easier to fause the door lock or a window, my cap spins freely when locked and would need some form of lever to even try and free it from the tank filler tube and i can't really see what i would lever it against, and i can assure anyone that my alarm would be sounding a long while before it came off ?. Can you actually fit 2 imobilisors ?

When you tried to get get your cap off i bet you didnt want to scratch the paint!. Well the thief isnt bothered about the paint and it would be off in seconds, A recent posting on another forum stated that his secure vehicle had been stolen off his drive but he was fortunate that the vehicle had been recovered a few miles away intact except for one thing missing (FUEL CAP). Yes you could fit another Immobiliser after all they are only an electrically energised switch another easy fix is a fuel cut off valve. Its all a matter of slowing the theif down they dont like to hang around for too long so they pick the easiest one to steal. Ive seen them steal car radio`s in under 30 seconds but unfortunately i was watching and they got nicked. Pete

[QUOTE]spartan3956 - 2006-08-05 11:12 AM When you tried to get get your cap off i bet you didnt want to scratch the paint!. Well the thief isnt bothered about the paint and it would be off in seconds, A recent posting on another forum stated that his secure vehicle had been stolen off his drive but he was fortunate that the vehicle had been recovered a few miles away intact except for one thing missing (FUEL CAP). Yes you could fit another Immobiliser after all they are only an electrically energised switch another easy fix is a fuel cut off valve. Its all a matter of slowing the theif down they dont like to hang around for too long so they pick the easiest one to steal. Ive seen them steal car radio`s in under 30 seconds but unfortunately i was watching and they got nicked. Pete [/QUOTE]

Does anyone know if these reports refer to current model Sevel vans, i.e. those fitted with immobilisers, or earlier versions without?

Ditto: do all keys ordered to match a given lock number come equipped with immobiliser transponders?

Archived