New Motorhome

I am hoping to change my motorhome this year but after driving a 2.5 turbo diesel for 12 years I am in abit of a dilema on what to buy, I know the lay out I would prefer but my dilema is all the different engines and there sizes. I read adverts for 1.9 ,2.0 2.5 and 2.8 the latter being what seems to be the most popualar on the Fiats. I will be looking for a coach built hopefully no longer than 20 ft, my opinion a coach built under 2.5 turbo diesal would be under powered. Can any members inform of there experiance with the smaller engine sizes Thank You for a very good Forum ThePlum

If you're buying new, be aware that all the normal base vehicle manufacturers except Renault are currently launching new vehicles, and all without exception new engines.  The general view is that, for the size of vehicle you describe, the starting point for driving comfort is around 2.2 litres. 

Some say the 2.0 litre engines are OK, but most seem to find them a bit under-powered in headwinds and on hills.  However, it depends on the van (lutons offer greater wind resistance, but some are "slipperier" than others) and on your driving preferences.  It also depends on weight: some short vans are quite heavy, others lighter.

What are you looking at?  Others with similar models could then give actual driving impressions, instead of generalisations like these.

Hi. We bought new last year, our unit is 2.0ltr we have used it in France a couple of times, plus over here. I have not had a problem yet with it being underpowered, as a mater of fact it is a darn sight better than my last one that was 2.5. The new common rail engines are alot better than the old engines. Why not hang on a bit into next year perhaps and get one of the new breed engines even better than the present ones, if we can believe what we read about them. David

If you are planning on buying new, this months Camping and Caravanning mag. has a brief but interesting review covering the new Fiat, Sprinter, Crafter and Transit new models. Worth a look. I once had a normally aspirated 2.5 Peugeot coachbuilt that was without doubt the most underpowered and frustrating vehicle it has been my misfortune to drive. I would have done better with a self build milk float. I admit its left me with a jaundiced view with regards to engine size , but even with the 2.8 jtd van conversion i now own i would rate it as no more than adequate. You might squeeze a few more miles to the gallon from the smaller engines ( debatable) but for me personally, i would buy the biggest motor available regardless of the coachbuilt size. Howard.

[QUOTE]Brian Kirby - 2006-08-04 7:09 PM

If you're buying new, be aware that all the normal base vehicle manufacturers except Renault are currently launching new vehicles, and all without exception new engines. 

[/QUOTE] I think Renault are also bringing out new engines too. Our last motorhome was an Autocruise Startraveller on the Peugeot Boxer with a 2.2hdi engine. At 20' 4" and 3,500kg the 2.2 proved to be a suitable and economical engine. We now have a Knaus Sun Ti on the Renault 2.5dci and at 22' 6" and 3,500 kg we find this is also a pretty good match. This engine seems far more refined than the peugeot 2.2hdi and it is currently returning near to 29 mpg with just around 2500 miles on the clock. Best regards, david

"I think Renault are bringing out new engines too" You are absolutely right David, I have ordered our new motorhome to be built on the NEW Face-Lifted Renault Master 120, 2.5litre with Quickshift 6 Renault will accept orders for the NEW vehicle in 4/6 weeks time, for delivery later in the autumn. I read the information regarding the Engine Policy change in the 'Which Motorhome' published July, it said that the existing 3.0litre was being dropped and the 2.5 litre was being offered in three power options; 100, 120 & 150 bhp - all can now be ordered with the Quickshift 6 Auto (this was not available on the 3.0 litre). I have not seen any pictures of what the Face-Lifted Master Panel Van will look like but, there are going to be more Factory Fitted Options available. Chris

Thanks to all for the varied and interesting replys allthough I would love to buy new I don,t think my bank manager would allow it but I am looking to pay up to £30,000 I could buy some models new if they meet my needs I would like an end lounge with the opition of two single beds or as I have now to single beds in the middle of the van, With reference to engine sizes my present vehicle a Talbot Highwayman has a 2.5 Turbo diesle engine and I think it,s a brillant work horse but I have also had a drive of an Autoquest Talbot 2.5 diesle with out a Turbo had less miles on than my vehicle but it was as flat as a F*** so how can you compere some of the models out there now ???

Its not only engine size you have to consider its the suspension some of these coach builds tend to wallow round corners. Mercedes a powerful engine but use rear wheel drive and the axle width is far narrower than the Alko based vehicles. Fiat tend to go for Alko and i can from my experience say ive never had problems with power with either 2.5 and 2.8 turbo Fiats. I checked with members of the owners club they gave me a great deal of useful info. Pete

We've got a Rapido 709F which is the smallest coachbuilt they do at just over 18ft with a fixed bed. It's got the Fiat 2.3JTD engine in it and it goes like the proverbial sh*t off a shovel! However, if I got anything over 20ft I'd certainly go for a larger engine, I think it would cope but why strain it for the sake of it.

Just to be clear: AlKo make rear chassis that can be used with Fiat or Renault, and only from 2006, Mercedes vehicles.  The Fiat etc chassis is cut off just behind the cab, and the AlKo chassis bolted on.

However, most coachbuilt matorhomes are still built on the original Fiat etc. chassis.  Mainly because the "cut and shut" job to fit the AlKo chassis, not surprisingly, pushes up the cost quite substantially.  Claimed advantages for the AlKo are better stability and roadholding, because of the wider rear track on the AlKo chassis and the fact that it stands lower that the original version, hence dropping the centre of gravity a bit.

The main differences between the newer engines, and those you are referring to, are that all are now turbodiesels, and all are "drive by wire" with high pressure common rail fuel distribution and electronically actuated injectors.  The benefits are much improved fuel efficiency with lower emissions, and greater power (especially torque) for the same engine size.  So far, reliability seems good and the driving characteristics improved, especially at lower revs.  Basically, you can't "bog" a drive by wire engine, the computers won't let you!

However, motorhomes are, on the whole, bulkier and heavier than the vans they are based upon.  It therefore makes sense to go for engines with a bit more power than the most basic versions.  Whether it's worth the extra cost (not huge), depends on the kind of driving, and the mileage, you tend to do, but the extra power just makes the driving that bit quieter and more relaxing.

Hope this helps

Archived