Hook up cable

Veggielover

The cable is normally attached to a 16A plug connected into a 16A socket. The socket can be fused up to 16A. It is therefore necessary that the cable is able to take this current. In addition the smaller the cable the higher resistance which results in volts drop .

Is there a reason you are asking?

The IEE regs require 2.5 mm sq cable to be used.

2.5 mm flex is rated at either 20 or 25 amps depending on the insulation & the purity of the copper used, 1.5mm flex has a ratting of 15 or 16 amps The 2 pin & earth connectors used on hook up leads are rated at 16 amp the reason 2.5 mm cable is specified is that traditionally 1.5 mm cable was rated at 15 amps.

However it's only in the UK 2.5mm cable is used the rest of Europe is happy with 1.5 mm cable for their hook up leads. I have only ever used 1.5 mm cable which I am about to change for 1 mm sq cable as I do not use hook ups and just need a lead in the event of an emergency I would not recommend that any one else does this unless they fully understand the implications.

The only advantage of using 2.5 mm cable over 1.5mm 16 amp cable (apart for building up your biceps & complying with the regs) is if you are using a 16 amp outlet to it's full capacity on a long cable run you will reduce the volt drop across the cable, in practice it's not likely to be a problem.

There is one other thing that should be taken into account, and that is what load you are likely to require.

If you are likely to draw near 16A (approx 3.7kW), the max permissible with the blue CEE connectors, then it would probably be wise to go for the 2.5mm - and to make absolutely certain you fully uncoil the cable while doing so!

On the other hand, if your connected load is well below that figure then, as Lenny implies, 1.5mm should be OK.

As he says, most mainlanders seem quite happy with 1.5mm cable, and in any case most mainland feeders are "fused" at 5-6 A (approx 1.4kW), some at 10A (approx 2.3kW). Under those circumstances, you will trip the feeder well before you fry a 1.5mm EHU cable! Just don't travel with a 3kW electric kettle!

I sought advice as I have the male and female connectors, and before I purchased 2.5 cable I was wondering if I could get away with a long length of orange (former lawnmower) cable that I have amongst all my other 'junk that will come in useful one day'.

I do not anticipate using mains very often, other than to charge up the batteries.

Chris

Veggielover - 2013-06-19 8:53 PM

I was wondering if I could get away with a long length of orange (former lawnmower) cable that I have amongst all my other 'junk that will come in useful one day'.

Chris

Chris,

I doubt very much if 'Lawnmower' cable will be suitable as it is normally only 2 core cable and you MUST use 3 core for your hook up lead. Check before using it (well you will have to anyway when you wire up the plugs).

If you only want to make a short lead then why not use something like this Link? The cable does not have to be orange, it's just the norm as it is more visible in longer grass.

Keith.

Extension leads follow the universal rules, maintain Flexibility and the thicker the better,  long and thin just will not do the trick :-)

If you want to become very continental, or if you already have some of this kit, a good tip is to obtain the following:-

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9821493.htm  Extension lead roll 40M x 13A

Because you can be sure that on an average 'Muni' the 'Borne' will be over 25m from your outfit, you may have this already and if not it comes in useful for round the garden and connecting up at home.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/UK-MAIN-HOOK-UP-ADAPTOR/dp/B001AVLPF2/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_0 13-16A adapter

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-341082-16-13-Lead-Converter/dp/B003IJAKLE/ref=pd_sim_sg_13       16-13A fly lead converter

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kampa-Continental-Adaptor-Caravan-Electric/dp/B0029OIVQU/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt     Continental adapter

http://www.amazon.co.uk/splitter-Generator-Industrial-Commando-connectors/dp/B001CDFI1A/ref=pd_sim_sg_24   3-way mains adapter or ‘piggyback’.

Veggielover - 2013-06-19 8:53 PM

I sought advice as I have the male and female connectors, and before I purchased 2.5 cable I was wondering if I could get away with a long length of orange (former lawnmower) cable that I have amongst all my other 'junk that will come in useful one day'.

I do not anticipate using mains very often, other than to charge up the batteries.

Chris

In which case your lawnmower cable will be just fine.

Although this cable may well do you(..at least for how you envisage using it)..but as it's an old cable, kept from an old mower, can you be sure what state the insulation/sheathing is in?...even if it isn't visibly cracked, it may well be stiff/brittle in places?(..possibly due to how it's been coiled/hung up?)....

Just a thought... ;-)

crinklystarfish - 2013-06-20 11:35 AM

Me either, but even if it is, why wouldn't that be adequate just to charge batteries?

It would be adequate in terms of load, but unsafe if a fault developed. The van would have a mains connection, but no earth path (being insulated by its tyres). If a fault developed, it is possible the van could become live without the occupants realising. Then, just stepping in or out, when you would be in contact with the ground and the van, would make you the earth path! Same true under those circumstances if anyone outside touched the van metalwork. The RCD in the van or the feeder pillar SHOULD then work, but it would work far quicker, and with far greater certainty, if the earth connection was present. I know, it's all about risks, and the chances are slim. :-) However, the consequences could be quite nasty, so better to make sure the earth is there by using a three core flex, and eliminate the risk.

I note the OP was asked why he was raising the question, but to date no response. That makes me slightly suspicious.

A proper mains cable is about £30 which to my mind is cheap for a life. Dodging about with alternatives is foolishly shortsighted. They also will last for a very long time again making the cost peanuts.

Dave if you read the OP's 2nd post on the thread he Chris clearly states why he asked the question and in a later post thanked everyone.

It is perfectly safe to use 1.5mm sq 16 amp cable, UK hook up leads are oversized and very heavy.

granddad - 2013-06-20 8:44 PM

hi while on about cables i have a yellow cable which is for 110v

would it be safe to use for 16 amp thx granddad

Hi Granddad,

In a word it won't work :-(

The yellow 110 volt plugs and sockets are different to the blue 230 volt version. The pins are rotated differently between the two.

You could use the cable and fit new blue plugs but probably easier just to get the correct one ready made.

Keith.

Brian Kirby - 2013-06-20 2:20 PM

crinklystarfish - 2013-06-20 11:35 AM

Me either, but even if it is, why wouldn't that be adequate just to charge batteries?

It would be adequate in terms of load, but unsafe if a fault developed. The van would have a mains connection, but no earth path (being insulated by its tyres). If a fault developed, it is possible the van could become live without the occupants realising. Then, just stepping in or out, when you would be in contact with the ground and the van, would make you the earth path! Same true under those circumstances if anyone outside touched the van metalwork. The RCD in the van or the feeder pillar SHOULD then work, but it would work far quicker, and with far greater certainty, if the earth connection was present. I know, it's all about risks, and the chances are slim. :-) However, the consequences could be quite nasty, so better to make sure the earth is there by using a three core flex, and eliminate the risk.

It wouldn't actually be adequate for a 16A load, because the cross sectional area is too small and the voltage drop associated with that size of cable would be double what is tolerable.

It's unsafe to use a smaller cable when you don't make the decision about what is protecting it. The IEE Regs require a cable to be adequately sized for the rating of its protection.

granddad - 2013-06-20 9:44 PM

hi while on about cables i have a yellow cable which is for 110v

would it be safe to use for 16 amp thx granddad

No. The insulation on 110V cable is inadequate for 230V.

Yellow flex normally used for 110v still has insulation rated at 400v the cable is no different to orange or white cable. Colour is not specified in the IEE regs but the NCC recommend orange, my own cable is yellow.

If you are going to use a hook up in the winter is best to use blue arctic grade cable as it remains flexible down to -20 deg where standard cable gets very stiff as the temperature falls towards zero.

Edit:

You can get arctic rated yellow cable.

Archived