Truma boiler gone awol

hughman

If they can't find the fault based on the error code, make sure they actually remove and test the 'combustion air infeed' itself - this is what the Truma technician did with ours as the error code wasn't giving an obvious fault with it, but that's what it was.

• 2 weeks later...

So, after visit to Truma today, all sorted :-D :-D :-D

They had it for 4 hours - took the boiler out completely and bench-tested it. The problem was.........an ignitor probe. The probe was OK, but the shortish lead connecting it to the boiler was trapped in one place by the boiler casing, and when the boiler was on, the case expanded, squashing the trapped wire and, despite the insulation not actually being broken, causing a short to the casing and thereby causing symptoms of gas starvation.

Classic stuff really - nothing obvious or predictable - one of those things.

Anyway, all sorted thanks to Truma UK (and no thanks at all to Freeborn Godalming >:-)

Many thanks to all who contributed ideas and advice.

Hugh

Guest JudgeMental

well....If it is possible to trap an essential probe on installation that says to me its not secured properly. The only problems I have had with motorhomes over the years have been with heating both Trauma and Alde..at least with Alde they don't turn a drama into a crisis and an engineer comes round your house! *-)

send all bills and details including fuel recepts to dealer and they will reimburse and reclaim from manufacturer (they were good with me last year and repaid by return for faulty trauma valve)

next time a wood burning stove! :D

Good! Well done, and well done Truma UK. If it took them 4 hours to bottom out, I imagine it would have completely defeated most others. Did you get a report on the defect? From your description, it must have been an assembly defect on Truma's part, so there should be no problem re-claiming your other costs to date.

I think it may have been caused by the installation into the van trapping the cable, rather than it being like that when supplied by Truma. It's obviously something installers need to bear in mind (as you'd hope they would anyway) - any trapped cable is a potential source of grief after all.

I was there all morning and saw no evidence of any cooking as such going on :-(

It all seemed to be rolls and stuff - nothing so unhealthy as a bacon sarnie.

Maybe I should have asked............ Next time, if there is such an occasion.

Archived