St Tropez med coast area advise

conitioner

robertandjean - 2013-06-23 2:12 PM

We have had disagreements with Eddie in the past, and sure will have again in future, but regarding points he makes here he is spot on. He does, unlike many on here speak from first hand experience of recent high season travel, which he also sets in context of wider travel so it would be wise of OP to take note of them. As stated earlier we also still do some high season trips, this year heading for area around Mont Blanc in August(followed by Eastern France in September, Belgium in December and 2 months cruising far east in Feb/March), and our experience says yes it will be very busy and hot but that is how some places should be seen at least once.

Sorry to disagree but Eddie clearly states July/August the best time to go when it is clearly not. He has experience of high season travel but none of shoulder months so how does he know. Now Chamonix area where you are heading in August is not at all bad, I used to go their climbing on a regular basis in July/August. It is not to crowded in the peak months and weather, although changeable is usually pretty good and not to hot.

Guest JudgeMental
rupert123 - 2013-06-23 6:31 PM

robertandjean - 2013-06-23 2:12 PM

We have had disagreements with Eddie in the past, and sure will have again in future, but regarding points he makes here he is spot on. He does, unlike many on here speak from first hand experience of recent high season travel, which he also sets in context of wider travel so it would be wise of OP to take note of them. As stated earlier we also still do some high season trips, this year heading for area around Mont Blanc in August(followed by Eastern France in September, Belgium in December and 2 months cruising far east in Feb/March), and our experience says yes it will be very busy and hot but that is how some places should be seen at least once.

Sorry to disagree but Eddie clearly states July/August the best time to go when it is clearly not. He has experience of high season travel but none of shoulder months so how does he know. Now Chamonix area where you are heading in August is not at all bad, I used to go their climbing on a regular basis in July/August. It is not to crowded in the peak months and weather, although changeable is usually pretty good and not to hot.

Day in day out you continue to compound your stupidity....when did I say it was "the best" time to go, I said some of us have no choice. I did say weather more reliable which is a fact. while you continue to goad and misquote me, I will continue to give as good as I get you plank

Thanks R&J for the support....Have been to Chamonix in August and its a lovely area, busy but manageable like any other tourist destination. All is possible with some intelligent planning......

Hi fellow campers

Thankyou to everyone who took the time and trouble to reply , ive took all your suggestions on board. Im limited to three weeks in July and its a place ive allways fancied going, but as ive only booked the ferry its not a problem to re think my plans, i just fancy going where its hot ,so maybe Narbonne area maybe less congested ? so any suggestions in this area would be most welcome. Has anyone been to la falaise municipal campsite Narbonne plage? or any advise about Narbonne Plage aires

Thanks again

Narbonne Plage aire is not one we like as it is a long way out from Narbonne Place itself and is just really a beachside stop, but we are not beach people. We prefer the aire at edge of Narbonne city from which a free bus runs into the interesting and atmospheric centre. That said we know many prefer the plage aire.

For a coastal aire then our favourite around here is the aire of the 4 winds at Gruissan. This is next to the Marian, with many cafes, bars etc yet within easy walking distance of the old village of Gruissan. Another option, further down coast, is the well equipped almost site like aire at Palavas-les-Flots, near canal, beach, pleasant town and with bus link to Montpellier. Hope this helps.

Guest JudgeMental
rupert123 - 2013-06-24 9:49 AM

JudgeMental - 2013-06-22 8:30 AM

Many have no choice but to go high season, and IMO it is the best, most atmospheric time,

Where did you say it, well try right here on this thread.

And I stand by that...but you twisted the meaning to fit your agenda. I started by saying MANY HAVE NO CHOICE.

We are away 20th July for a month and will have a great time with very reliable weather as per usual...warm water to swim in, everything open, great atmosphere, balmy summer evenings. With the chance of really making the best of the long days etc...Yes a proper summer holiday just like most ordinary folk have....

JudgeMental - 2013-06-24 10:26 AM

Many have no choice but to go high season, and IMO it is the best, most atmospheric time,

And I stand by that...but you twisted the meaning to fit your agenda. I started by saying MANY HAVE NO CHOICE.

We are away 20th July for a month and will have a great time with very reliable weather as per usual...warm water to swim in, everything open, great atmosphere, balmy summer evenings. With the chance of really making the best of the long days etc...Yes a proper summer holiday just like most ordinary folk have....

I twisted nothing Eddie. I was also careful to leave in the bit about having no choice. You clearly state the best time, how did I twist it. I have no doubt you will have a good time and indeed hope you do but if you make clear statements and others disagree why try to do a 'U' turn. If someone has no choice than to go away in peak season then that is just hard luck but everything is more expensive, crowded, etc. you would seem to like expensive, crowded, we do not, especially crowded. How you think it is the best time beyond me but we are back to the everything that Eddie does must be best thing. This year the weather has not been exactly the best over most of Europe and who is to say it will not remain so in the peak season, hope not for all our sakes. We to are away in July but up to Scotland, our next Euro trip is September where I to expect good weather as we have always had this in the past, this year though who knows. Although we prefer good weather do not have a fixation about it because we do not just sit around on a beach or campsite most if the time so it matters less.

Guest JudgeMental
rupert123 - 2013-06-24 2:19 PM

JudgeMental - 2013-06-24 10:26 AM

Although we prefer good weather do not have a fixation about it because we do not just sit around on a beach or campsite most if the time so it matters less.

You just cant help yourself can you plank!lol We tour mate..Last summer 6 weeks 7 countries and about 25 campsites/aires. Last Christmas (India+ Kerela), a long tour ending with 5 days on beach. This christmas ditto (Sri Lanka). This summer same as last year but Alsace/Switzerland/Garda only a month due to daughters graduation. we always meet up with friends and family in lake Garda because we love it...I mean is that OK with you? I suggest you get out of my face and stay out of my business sunshine....

I see you have all succeeded in putting the OP of the cote de azur...He has now moved west to probably the most busy and unattractive stretch of coast going 8-)

conitioner - 2013-06-23 10:07 PM

Hi fellow campers

Thankyou to everyone who took the time and trouble to reply , ive took all your suggestions on board. Im limited to three weeks in July and its a place ive allways fancied going, but as ive only booked the ferry its not a problem to re think my plans, i just fancy going where its hot ,so maybe Narbonne area maybe less congested ? so any suggestions in this area would be most welcome. Has anyone been to la falaise municipal campsite Narbonne plage? or any advise about Narbonne Plage aires

Thanks again

Sorry about the infantile children.

We've found Marseillan Plage to be a very nice Aire....have stayed there a couple of times a year for two or 3 days, over the past few years. Very good car boot sale thingy just across the road on Sunday mornings (and Saturday mornings too, but smaller). About 5 mins stroll to the beach through the low-rise village.

Trying to attach a piccie I took earlier this year of the prices on the board at the entrance for you:

In edit, as "file is too large" so can't be uploaded by the server this site uses: in high season it's 10 euros for 24 hours, 14 euros for 48 hours, and 22 euros for 72 hours.

Grey/black water dump is free, but a freshwater fill-up ( 100 litres?) would cost 2 euros I think.

Pay via credit/debit card at machine at entrance.

BGD - 2013-06-24 2:43 PM

Stop the endless, pathetic,bickering; if you can't post advice/opinion to help the OP, then don't post.

It started of with advice and my opinion, much like yours, to stay away. As usual when Eddie is mentioned abuse started to fly, now I usually ignore it but enough is enough and will reply to him. His abuse continues, he seems completely unable to put up an argument without it. You can take it if you wish but I will reply, although will try not to reply with yet more abuse.

Guest JudgeMental
what is wrong with you are you fixated or something? you're the one with all the snide underhand accusations enforcing your petty prejudices.... Now that you have managed to put the OP of the nicest area on the south coast of france, surely mission accomplished you misery!lol

BGD - 2013-06-24 2:43 PM

Stop the endless, pathetic,bickering; if you can't post advice/opinion to help the OP, then don't post.

I agree Bruce, here,s my 5p, the riveara is probably the most attractive part of the french med coast, but very busy and expensive even in sept.Our last time there was 4yrs ago, Le Lavandou, camping dumaine, 35e a night,advertised as being on the beach, but when shown our pitch my wifes comment was " we live nearer the beach than this". Got a sea view after 2nights but had to share a "bay" with 3 other units, no more space than you would get on a decent aire. came back from the beach one day and a new german arrival had divided the space into quarters as a french couple as invaded his section by a foot, IMO much prefer the western med ste marie & Leucte our 2 favourite aries. last yr 7.2e a night right on the beach.

At the risk of being howled down I have a suggestion that may be of interest to the OP.

You could try staying at Camping Le Ranch in Le Cannet. It is just above Cannes and easy to get to from the Exit 42 on the A8/E80 Autoroute Le Provencale.

http://www.leranchcamping.fr/

It is a small campground with excellent facilities and friendly staff. It is not expensive even in July and August €23, €26 and €28 depending on the pitch size. The package includes 2 people, van and electricity (6A). But you need to book for the high season. The pitches are terraced and shaded by trees and most are level and divided by hedges.

Directly outside the entrance is a bus stop. The bus runs ever 20 min to Cannes Bus Station right on the harbour for €1.50. The bus station itself is worth the bus ride as it is has been painted in caricatures of famous movie stars. You can get a bus from the bus station to all the major spots on the coast from St Trop to Menton and it it won't break the bank.

The bus trip to Nice is €150, the bus trip to Grasse ( a must see for anyone staying in the area) €1.50, Golfe Juan, Juan Les Pins, Antibes, Cagnes-Sur-Mer all €1.50. A 10 Trip ticket costs €10 (validate it twice for 2 people) and 1 week ticket cost €11 (single use only) you can buy either at the bus station.

You can get further afield on other buses. But the best way to travel along the Cote d'Azur is by train. St Raphaël in the west and all stations east to Menton are easily done in a day and you can hop on and off the trains as well.

There is a train from Nice, called train de merveilles, which goes north through the stunning Roya Valley. Another train from Nice - going to Digne - is a great day trip for visiting towns difficult to reach by road.  This train leaves from Gare CP, very near the main Nice station. This scenic railway winds its way through the mountains via tunnels and across bridges reaching at its highest point at around 2000m. The journey takes about three and a half hours.

There is plenty to do and places to visit in the area and Cannes is a great place to stay. It's has a village atmosphere and apart from the three weeks when the posers and wanabees come to town it is a really nice place to stay.

Guest JudgeMental

Nice one Paul..very informative and on topic! :-D

There are only 3 sites near st trop, the nearest expensive, but the 2nd Veregne has a high season rate for pitch, 2 people and elec for 25.90 euro *-)

I have been trying to find the site you mention on the internet, but only came up with this:

http://www.veregen.com/

Obviously not the one.

I would avoid the coast in high season as impossibly crowded and noisy. It was good in 1974 when we had a boat moored in Port Grimaud, but when we tried to get in there in August 2003 we were turned away as it was full.

The Languedoc Roussillon coast is equally overloaded and noisy then, but inland no problems.

777571239_MoodyGrimaudCh..jpg.df9242fe8219973a146e56653ca0dea9.jpg

Guest JudgeMental

Poor thing....I think you have posted a personal link by accident?.... hope you get it sorted soon...sounds real nasty!

http://www.moulindeverdagne.com/

we have stayed at site in Ramatuelle and camping du Baie in Cavalaire sur Mer. Like I said earlier this a lovely area. some great beaches just out of town heading west.

http://www.camping-baie.com/content/fr/le-camping/1/

The best kebab shop in France is just off the main square in st tropez and the only thing you will get for less than a tenner!

I've been twice peak season. Best if you have secondary transport then you can get about easily.

I never stop long as the charms of inland Provence are just too much to resist.

Archived