Lock Barrel replacement for door lock

Dave225

How does one replace a lock barrel for a habitation door? I have a new one and a new door lock but the new lock barrel was supplied separate. I am still trying to figure out how to get the lock barrel into place. It goes in fine till the last millimeter or so but there is a spring lug at the base which obviously locks the barrel in place. Without taking the door lock apart from the inside, it has a circlip which is a b....r to get off, is there any other way of getting it to fit home? By the way the door lock is a Hartel model which is pretty generic.

I was hoping someone would reply to your query as our habitation door lock on our Hymer Swing has gone from difficult to stuck! Luckily, I've managed to wiggle the key in the lock to the 'open' position. I've seen elsewhere that some barrels can only be removed with a special key e.g. Zadi. Our lock is probably a Hymer special so in the end I may have to find a hymer dealer ( we're currently on the Cote d'Azur).

I can get to the back of the doorlock mechanism ok, and it's tempting to undo the single screw and try to remove the lock. We can lock the door from the inside, but it's a faff having to use the cab doors, especially with our external sunscreens fitted.

There must be an expert out there who can help us both!

chasm - 2013-06-25 2:36 PM

I was hoping someone would reply to your query as our habitation door lock on our Hymer Swing has gone from difficult to stuck! Luckily, I've managed to wiggle the key in the lock to the 'open' position. I've seen elsewhere that some barrels can only be removed with a special key e.g. Zadi. Our lock is probably a Hymer special so in the end I may have to find a hymer dealer ( we're currently on the Cote d'Azur).

I can get to the back of the doorlock mechanism ok, and it's tempting to undo the single screw and try to remove the lock. We can lock the door from the inside, but it's a faff having to use the cab doors, especially with our external sunscreens fitted.

There must be an expert out there who can help us both!

Try some WD40 in the lock as it is possible it has just dried out. In my case the inside plastic bit had worn with years of abuse so I needed a new lock. It seemed logical that as the new lock came with a new outside key bit I should replace that as well, if I could get the b....y lock barrel in. Of course there were no instructions.

Removing the whole lock should not too difficult as they usually have a few screws holding the 2 parts together. Try cleaning it all up and re-assembling and maybe you can keep going for a bit longer. If not, look at the lock as it is possible it is from a 3rd party supplier, and you can get a new one without paying Hymer's high prices.

Good luck

Thanks for your advice Dave. I've tried WD40, but the lock's not stiff. It either turns easily first time or will not budge. Hadn't thought that the plastic housing could be worn, but that might be the problem. The key goes into the lock ok. The door locking assembly has cams, rods and sliders so a new one might prove too pricey. ( Our van is 2002 vintage with 120,000 miles on the clock).

Meanwhile we can live with the problem till we get back. I've started a query with Lowdham's parts department to find out what they'd charge.

Dave225 - 2013-06-21 1:33 PM

How does one replace a lock barrel for a habitation door? I have a new one and a new door lock but the new lock barrel was supplied separate. I am still trying to figure out how to get the lock barrel into place. It goes in fine till the last millimeter or so but there is a spring lug at the base which obviously locks the barrel in place. Without taking the door lock apart from the inside, it has a circlip which is a b....r to get off, is there any other way of getting it to fit home? By the way the door lock is a Hartel model which is pretty generic.

This thread

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=31&TopicID=291422&PagePosition=1

about Hartal doors mentions that a "removal key" is required to replace a lock barrel.

I've no idea whether this key is a genuine necessity or if there's a 'work around' (one might naively think that, if a special tool were needed to replace a barrel, the tool would be supplied with the replacement barrel) but the removal key is advertised here

http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/caravan/caravan_accessories/product_36852/removal_key_for_hartal_locks.aspx

Thank you for the information Derek. I had no idea a removal key even existed or would have gone looking for it. Ironically the key supplied retracts all the tumblers allowing it to go onto the barrel....except the last one at the very bottom. Naughty of them. I have re-used the old key part and it is all working fine so this will be a job for a future rainy day, but thanks again for taking the time.

• 1 year later...
You can also replace the lock barrel of your door lock by yourselves. For this you may find it easier to remove the door first of all. Nowadays locks have large barrels, so its a little hard if you try to replace your lock barrel by yourself. A good locksmith can help you in this situation, with any kind of door lock.

Archived