Fridge gas jet size

wints

As a precaution re:regulator getting blocked with oily bits, I've removed the the 30 mbar bulkhead mounted regulator and replaced it with the original bomb proof 37 mbar red calor propane regulator.

I'm using propane lpg.

The Truma water heater appears un-affected, if anything the water warms up a little quicker, the oven & burner rings also seem ok,...but, the fridge burner is roaring and the top of the flue outlet is sooting up, this after only a day.

Should I have changed the fridge gas jet ?

I cleaned out the flue, baffle plate, fridge burner, and jet quite recently and all was ok and working for several outings prior to changing the regulator.

I've looked on the net and found a little info regarding jet sizes 43 & 45, but nothing conclusive.

Anybody else changed their reg to the 37 mbar ? What did you do ?

regards

Allen

How old is your van, and how old is the gas burning kit in it, and what does the manual fro your fridge say the pressure should be?

I thought everything runs on 30mbar nowadays................

The van's a 2002 Euramobil, the fridge I assume to be as old. Previously worked well on the 30 mbar reg, but now appears to be over-gassing (hence the roaring and the soot) on the 37 mbar calor propane regulator.

The manual for the fridge makes some reference to running on 37 and 30 mbar regs but none to jet sizes.

Allen

I removed the Bulkhead Reg on my Hymer and fitted Bottle Regs as I found it  much easier and when in France Spain etc I could use local bottles with their regs with no problem, since changing to  my Chausson I have fitted Refillable Bottles and have kept the Bulkhead Reg, but I have  fitted the bottles so that the second  full bottle can have a direct Regulator  screwed in to run my Barbi  , saved me fitting a Barbi Point.

Maybe I'm being daft here but.........why have you changed the pressure of your regulator?

We run our MH on propane or butane bottles, but in both cases using the Spanish/Portugal "bog standard" 30mbar regulator. Everyone else that I know of down here does the same.

As we're in Spain, it ain't a fixed bulkhead regulator, but rather the........in my opinion MUCH more useful..... type that is jubilee-clipped to orange flexible hose, and push-fits over the valve of the gas bottle.

Changing b8ck to the 37 mbar regulator should have no effect on the fridge as it is designed to accommodate that. As it appears it is not working properly then it possibly needs servicing and the jet cleaned/replaced. If you are not competent to do that work, then get a qualified service depot to do it for you. You can remove the fridge to save some time and take it to them, but after re-fitting you need to get the gas connections leak checked.

By the way, how old is the frdige? If 2002 then if it has had a hard life maybe a replacement would be an option and have peace of mind for another 10 years.

Dave225 - 2013-06-23 1:45 PM

Changing b8ck to the 37 mbar regulator should have no effect on the fridge as it is designed to accommodate that. As it appears it is not working properly then it possibly needs servicing and the jet cleaned/replaced. If you are not competent to do that work, then get a qualified service depot to do it for you. You can remove the fridge to save some time and take it to them, but after re-fitting you need to get the gas connections leak checked.

By the way, how old is the frdige? If 2002 then if it has had a hard life maybe a replacement would be an option and have peace of mind for another 10 years.

Hi Dave

I've seen reference on the net for 2 different sizes of gas jet..a 43, & a 45 (I think, can't find it now), so presumbly if you up the pressure from 30 mbar to 37 mbar you need to restrict the amount of gas getting there.

I've cleaned the burner, jet, baffle plate, and flue on all my vans and never before had a problem. The fridges have never needed removing, as servicing those parts was done by removing the two large vent grills.

The fridge works great on 230 v and 12 v, and did do on gas until I changed the regulator.

Allen

BGD - 2013-06-23 1:32 PM

Maybe I'm being daft here but.........why have you changed the pressure of your regulator?

We run our MH on propane or butane bottles, but in both cases using the Spanish/Portugal "bog standard" 30mbar regulator. Everyone else that I know of down here does the same.

As we're in Spain, it ain't a fixed bulkhead regulator, but rather the........in my opinion MUCH more useful..... type that is jubilee-clipped to orange flexible hose, and push-fits over the valve of the gas bottle.

Hi BGD

I'm trying to revert back to the bomb proof bottle mounted propane regulator, which runs at 37mbar.

With all the bad press over the last few years about bulkhead mounted regs clogging up with oily deposits and then you getting stuck with no gas I thought I'd go back to the trusty old reliable calor reg, don't remember any of those failing.

This would then work the same as yours.

Allen

George Collings - 2013-06-23 3:48 PM

The sooting indicates lack of air for the gas available. First check that the air supply to the burner is clear. I am thinking cowebs, dead flies, leaves etc.

Hi George.....Or over-gassing!! 37mbar must squirt more gas in than 30 mbar, so maybe a smaller jet is required. But come tomorrow, when the weather is supposed to behave a bit better, I'll strip it all down again.

I'm thinking that as a control I'm going to pipe butane in via a 28 mbar regulator.

Allen

Why didn't you use a 30mb bottle top regulator. I have two on my van one on each bottle feeding into a Tee connector very bomb proof as not only all gas hoses at low pressure, reliable bottle top regulators and a built in spare.

I've reverted back to the 30 mbar regulator, and all is now as it was. I've also cleaned the fridge burner, flue, baffle plate, and after about only 4 hrs on the 37 mbar reg there was an awful lot of soot deposit. I removed the jet and couldn't believe that I'd not seen the number 43 etched on it. The jet was ok.

regards

Allen

Archived