France requirements

Geee246

Can anyone tell me exactly what you are legally expected to carry when travelling to France? By this I mean any documentation, equipment or modifications that are not going to get you in trouble with the Gendarme.

Reason I ask is that I normally get advice from my in laws who have been to France a couple of times though if I listen to their advice I would have to tow an additional small trailer.

Two safety triangles

Hi Viz jackets for everyone in vehicle

Spare spectacles if you wear them

First Aid Kit

Spare bulbs for the vehicle

Vehicle Documents (and copies of them)

Headlight beam benders fitted onto vehicle

GB signs

Brethalyzer

Some of these may not be required but are certainly advisable.

Copies of documents ONLY should be passed to police if requested otherwise you may have to travel to French Embassy in London to collect them.

Hi viz jackets should be easily located in the vehicle.

Enjoy your holiday

France - breathalysers for all - from the AA website.

The only reason they keep banging on about the breathalyser kits are that some retailers bought a load of them with the intention of over charging the British motorist.

But the French, with there usual panache, have decided to postpone the fines indefinitely.

And now the retailers have loads of kits with a relatively short life span and they are desperate to off-load them to anyone daft enough to buy them!

Why would you actually need one?

Even an old git like me knows that drinking and driving don't mix and whatever you have consumed, a lot or a little, is a stupid thing to do and using a breathalyser isn't going to alter the fact you shouldn't have had a drink in the first place if you intend driving.

I'm off to France later this week and a breathalyser kit is one item I don't intend buying and taking.

Syd - 2013-06-24 1:54 AM

Two safety triangles

First Aid Kit

GB signs

Brethalyzer

Copies of documents ONLY should be passed to police if requested otherwise you may have to travel to French Embassy in London to collect them.

Enjoy your holiday

No need to carry a breathalyser in France.

Whilst in theory the regulation requiring one is still on the French Statute book, in reality the whole idea has been scrapped by the Minister of Transport, and there is NO longer any penalty applicable for failing to carry one.

We don't carry originals of our vehicle paperwork, we only carry Certified Copies....certified as exact copies of the originals and stamped thus by the local town Hall Justice of the Peace here in Spain.

The vehicle documents should be the originals, and I'm not sure that certificed copies, such as Bruce has, can be obtained in UK, or would necessarily be accepted. This applies equally to the certificate of insurance and the MoT Certificate. The requirement arises under the Vienna Convention on International Road Traffic of which all EU states (among others) are signatories.

It seems sensible to take scans of driving licence/s, V5C, MoT, insurance cert, passport/s, EHIC card/s, home insurance policy, and health insurance policy, ferry/tunnel bookings, plus any critical medical prescriptions and optical prescriptions as relevent. Scan to a memory stick/SD card and, if taking a laptop, copy to laptop. Tuck the memory stick/SD card somewhere secure. Paper copies of same at discretion.

You should always carry your passport/s with you, as they are your proof of identity if requested by the authorities. The obvious difficulty is beach trips, where leaving them secure in the van would be much preferable, even if technically non-compliant. However, it is very unlikely they would be demanded on the beach, and I really doubt their temporary non-availability would cause a problem if the reason were explained.

Brian Kirby - 2013-06-24 1:40 PM

The vehicle documents should be the originals, and I'm not sure that certificed copies, such as Bruce has, can be obtained in UK, or would necessarily be accepted. This applies equally to the certificate of insurance and the MoT Certificate. The requirement arises under the Vienna Convention on International Road Traffic of which all EU states (among others) are signatories.

Brian - Are you sure you need your MOT certificate? I can't see it mentioned anywhere? I have never taken mine & haven't got it with me now in Sanary-Sur-Mer.

I insist that copies of documents are acceptable by French Police and German Police having been asked to produce documents and having given the copies that were accepted in both countries but do admit that I also carry the original documents.

The MOT was asked for in Germany but not in France

In France I know that should the police keep your documents then you will have to collect them from the French embassy as they will NOT post them out to you.

Don't treat the European cops as idiots because they are not and are wise about our laws

Syd - 2013-06-24 12:54 AM

Two safety triangles

First Aid Kit

GB signs

Brethalyzer

Enjoy your holiday

Hi IPS

There are six items out of nine on this list that you should carry in the UK anyway so where is the hassle

laimeduck - 2013-06-24 2:01 PM

Brian - Are you sure you need your MOT certificate? I can't see it mentioned anywhere? I have never taken mine & haven't got it with me now in Sanary-Sur-Mer.

Ah well, looks as though I'll have to answer my own question?

As far as I can see from a fairly extensive google search, the MOT "certificate" is not required, certainly in France & maybe elsewhere. Now of course it is not a "certificate", simply a piece of A4 printed paper which anyone with a scanner can reproduce just like the original.

Unless of course anyone knows differently?

Guest pelmetman
laimeduck - 2013-06-26 3:48 PM

As far as I can see from a fairly extensive google search, the MOT "certificate" is not required, certainly in France & maybe elsewhere. Now of course it is not a "certificate", simply a piece of A4 printed paper which anyone with a scanner can reproduce just like the original.

I always take my MOT Jeremy ;-)...............don't know why :-S...........force of habit I guess :D...........and along with Syd's comprehensive list, with the exception of breathalyzers......... I always take my natural charm and good looks :D.................plus my international pointing finger, which seems to work well when combined with talking loudly in english (lol) (lol)

pelmetman - 2013-06-27 5:12 PM

........plus my international pointing finger, which seems to work well when combined with talking loudly in english (lol) (lol)

A bit off topic but couldn't resist, last year went to see War Horse on Broadway, the scene where the British tommy is talking to the little French girl, she didn't understand so he talks louder, still doesn't understand he talks even louder etc., my wife & myself bust out in hysterical laughter the rest of the audience was deadly quiet the yanks just didn't get the joke.

laimeduck - 2013-06-26 3:48 PM

I always take my MOT Jeremy ;-)...............don't know why :-S...........force of habit I guess :D...........and along with Syd's comprehensive list, with the exception of breathalyzers......... I always take my natural charm and good looks :D.................plus my international pointing finger, which seems to work well when combined with talking loudly in english (lol) (lol)

Dave yes thank you.

I will in future, but was a bit concerned 'cos I haven't got it with me now and am in my last of 3 weeks in France. At present in Millau - very pleasant little place. I will take a copy in future as it's not really a certificate now just a printed A4 sheet, and a French M. Plod would not know the difference between a scan & the original.

PS I usually end up using deux digits pour l'expression!

lennyhb - 2013-06-27 5:31 PM

........plus my international pointing finger, which seems to work well when combined with talking loudly in english (lol) (lol)

A bit off topic but couldn't resist, last year went to see War Horse on Broadway, the scene where the British tommy is talking to the little French girl, she didn't understand so he talks louder, still doesn't understand he talks even louder etc., my wife & myself bust out in hysterical laughter the rest of the audience was deadly quiet the yanks just didn't get the joke.

Just reading Darwins 'Journal of Researches into the Geology and Natural History of the various countries visited by H.M.S. Beagle' and there is a similier incidence recorded in it.

If you need 'official UK recognised' vehicle documents then go to your local Vehicle Registration Office (VRO) and ask them to copy your documents, stamp and sign the copies. That is sufficient in the UK so may be recognised as such in other EU countries.

Just a little story about copied documents....

I had occasion to be requested of a friend's vehicle documents in Gran Canary a few years ago. The Police Local officer requested the document after an accident, I asked if I could take a copy before he took the documents, he agreed, I scanned the document and presented both versions to the officer. He gladly accepted the copy! Either he did not know which was which or did not care, which ever there were no repercussions from this.

No, it isn't mentioned, but it is the evidence the vehicle has had the appropriate roadworthiness test, so I take it. Whether it is, in fact, one of the required documents I don't know, but it seems logical to me that it might be demanded, depending on circumstances. Only one more piece of paper, and it seems a good idea, so I included it. In retrospect, I should have made that clearer.

Legally (which is what the original posting asked about) the requirement in France is that a motorcaravanner driving in that country must carry the following items in his/her vehicle:

1 warning triangle.

1 high-visibility jacket that must be stored so that it is quickly to hand.

1 NF-compliant ‘in date’ breathalyser.

Relevant documentation.

There is no French legal requirement for a motorist to carry spare spectacles, a first-aid kit or spare light-bulbs.

The motorcaravan’s headlights should not dazzle oncoming drivers, but how non-dazzling is obtained is not stipulated. Use of ‘beam benders’ is just one of several methods,

A GB-plate will only be required if a motorcaravan’s number-plates do not carry a suitable EU symbol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_the_European_Union

The AA website Dave provided a link to earlier has this .pdf file that gives fuller details:

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/touring_tips/compulsory_equipment.pdf

I live over the water and the documents that I need to carry are as follows:-

1) Driving license ( Permis class B)

2) Certificate of Insurance ( Carte Vert)

3) Registration document ( Carte Gris)

4) MOT Document (Controle Technique)

For more info in French see here

Other bits and pieces include

A) Warning Triangle

B) Hi-Vis Jackets for Driver and passenger(s) If they need to leave the vehicle in an Emergency.

C) Spare Bulbs , while not compulsory, if you are stopped by les flics for a bulb failure you will not be allowed to continue your journey until the bulbs are replaced.

D) Similarly for a spare pair of Glasses, if your Licence shows you should be wearing them and for whatever reason you are not..........

Personally I do not carry Breathalysers, the amend is only 11€ and there is a move to cancel the whole sorry débâcle. However I do carry a decent First Aid kit and a Fire Extinguisher, it makes sense.

1) Driving license ( Permis class B)

2) Certificate of Insurance ( Carte Vert)

3) Registration document ( Carte Gris)

4) MOT Document (Controle Technique)

For more info in French see here

Just for further info the road side fines, or for a failure to produce within 3-5 days are:-

Driving License 75€

Insurance       135€

MOT              600€

Over 5 days the fines increase. :-(

Archived