Wifi problem

Don Madge

I've had my two new laptops up and running for a week now and a problem has arisen. On Thursday afternoon the wifi kept dropping off line and stayed that way until early evening when everything was working again. I assumed it was Tiscali having a problem. The same thing happened on Friday afternoon at about the same time. I connected the router to the laptop by cable and was able to get on line. The wifi connection started to operate at about the same time as the previous evening. The problem reappeared again today just after lunch, I connected the router to the laptop by cable and we are back on line OK. The wifi connection is still down. The router is a Linksys WAG54GS ADSL Gateway with speed booster. One laptop is a Dell Latitude D 620 and the other is a Toshiba A100 - 583 I can only assume the signal from the router to the laptop is being disrupted some how. We have nothing electrical in the house that comes on at these times. Any help will be most welcome. Regards Don

Don

No expert me, but I have a similar set up.  It sounds a bit as though your wireless signal is either being corrupted, pirated, or you have the gateway in a position that is partially shielding its signal.  If you hover your cursor over the wireless ling icon on your system tray, look at what it says about signal strength.  It needs to be at least "good".  If possible, try moving the gateway, or the computers, to see if you can improve the signal. 

Try double clicking the wireless icon, and do a wireless network search to see if anyone else has a network nearby that you are picking up.  That may be causing interferance. 

Finally, have you followed all the Linksys security guff about the network not broadcasting its name, encryption, limiting the number of computers permitted to connect etc.  If you haven't, a neighbour may have hooked onto your gateway and be using your connection!

Last thought, have you established if it is, actually, the wireless link between the computer and the gateway, or the braodband link from the gateway to Tiscali, that is causing the problem?  If it's the wireless network that is dropping, try contacting Linksys for further advice.  Their tech help is v.good and free for life!

Brian, Thanks. The signal strength is excellent. I can stay on line as long as i keep the laptop and the router connected by cable. It seems the signal is not getting from the router to the laptop. I've checked all the equipment in the house. What I can't understand is why it started to go haywire suddenly on Thursday after running ok from last Friday. Maybe the signal is being interfered with. Don

:-( Hi Don. It sounds like the Wifi signal is being interfered with in someway. Either there is a fault on your router via the Wifi or there is another Wifi somewhere else that is affecting your connection. Wifi can be a little directional at times. As I saw mentioned on another forum. The weather has an effect too. I don't think it likely that someone has hi-jacked your connection and is cutting you out. But it is not impossible. :-(

My brother had problems with his cordless phone and it turned out that a self employed taxi driver across the road was interfering with his signal. After cries of "by George - unhand me sir!!" it was all sorted out amicably. (lol) Pat :-D

Don

If the signal is excellent, even when you can't get on line, then I don't think it is your wifi link that is at fault.

Does this happen with just one computer running, or when both are running?  If when both are running, can you get on line wirelessly from the other one?  If so, I think your network permissions aren't right, and the first to log on is blocking the second. 

That happened to us and I was advised to set the number of computers allowed to connect to 100.  I was told this doesn't affect security, since the permissions are only for the two, individually listed computers, but it gives the gateway freedom to sign them on in any order.  Whatever, it's been "perfick" since.

Have you set up the wireless network using the Linksys guide, or using their on-line setup programme?  I haven't tried the latter, but the full instructions took ages to digest and work through.  However, they were much more explicit than the quickstart guide in the box.  They were on the installation CD.

As I said, the Linksys website, if you can get to it, is very good.

However, ours is a WAG54UK, so not quite the same as yours.  It's 1 year old so not ADSL2 compliant.  £175 and its obsolescent in a year!  Pah!

Hope this helps.

Hi Don & Madge, We have the Tiscali broadband connection and they do have problems sometimes maintaining the connection. You should have four green led's showing on the router, if the 4th led (right hand side) is red, then it could be a dropped line from router to exchange. to remedy, I double click the wireless monitor, bottom right on the sys tray, the wireless connection status box will appear, select support and then repair. The router will then redial the exchange (you don't hear it), and pick up another connection, which hopefully will be better than the last connection. Tiscali don't always report on their service page if they have problems. Regards Terry

Don, did you have thunderstorms (even far off) ? Terry, unless you have a 'unbundled' exchange it won't be tiscali causing router to drop connection. The three main causes for dropping connection are 1-Too long/dodgy cable from incoming telephone socket to router 2- Too long distance from exchange to house 3- Duff router I too used to blame Tiscali but dumped their modem, fitted Zoom router next to incoming socket and used ethernet connection and only time I've had problem was the other week during thunderstorms when router couldn't sync with exchange

Archived