AGU fuses for second leisure battery.

Tin Man

Any competent auto electricians out there? I'm in need of some advice.

I want to fit a second leisure battery and intend to buy 8awg cable to connect the batteries. I am considering using two AGU fuse holders, one on each side of the battery's +ve connection, (30 amp fuses).

AGU fuses are primarily for audio equipment, but are they OK for use in this situation?

Cheers,

John

My opinion is that the fuse holders are well made and suitable.

The 8 AWG cable is only rated at 32Amps (80% rating) so the 30 amp fuse is to high.

I would use something like this rated at 110amp http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PVC-Hi-Flex-COPPER-BATTERY-CABLE-16mm-red-/120764214937?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c1e1bae99

and use a "Midi" type fuse like this with a 50 amp fuse x 2 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-MIDI-TYPE-CAR-TRUCK-MARINE-IN-LINE-FUSE-HOLDER-WITH-50-AMP-MIDI-FUSE-/221244115048?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item33832d4868

It's all about how long the cable run is, short runs could be wired with lighter cable, but with batteries heavy cable and proper fuses are always best.

Anyway, the cost of those on ebay won't break the bank.

H

OK, I've been thinking. 8-)

Some say that I don't need a fuse at all as the batteries are next to each other and therefore the likelihood of cable damage is limited.

Some say it's wise to have two fuses in between the two +ve battery poles so that the batteries can be isolated if need be and, for 'just in case' cases.

If these AGU fuses are 'high', then to my mind their tolerance to surges is low. Perhaps then, considering the existing blade fuse is a 'slow' 25 amps, I could use 'fast' 30 amp fuses or maybe 60 amp fuses.

I only use my £20 inverter to charge phones and laptop. No microwaves, wife has short hair and I'm a bit baldy so no need for hairdryers. :'(

You are welcome to shoot my logic to bits if you want to. (lol)

Please do.

And thanks for listening ...

Archived