Storage suggestions

Star55

Hi

We won't be getting a trailer - the idea is to make do with the Pimento so we will have to leave quite a bit behind - when you have a large garage you do tend to carry around much more than you need although I will miss my recliner! Will have to make do with an umbrella action folding chair and a folding stool to keep my legs elevated. We have been carrying a table around but this can be left behind as the main one with the Pimento is freestanding. We've just about emptied our existing motorhome in readiness for selling and it is surprising how much we are OK with leaving behind!

Outstanding Star,

You're well on your way to an enjoyable trip.

After you spend some time in your van you'll be amazed at the nooks and crannies you'll find to put stuff. We found the oven is a great storage spot. We fitted a 24cm frying pan with lid, a pyrex casserole bowl & lid and the grill tray all fit inside wrapped in tea towels - think multi. We are constantly amazed at what you can fit into a 90 litre fridge.

We use a multi set of £3 plastic containers we bought at Ikea for everything - tea, muesli, cheese, pate, olives, leftovers, cold meats. They're square so fit neatly in the fridge or cupboard. We found that tetra packs of milk, diced tomatoes, soup base, cooked fruits, etc. are better than cans or bottles as they are all brick shaped and store more readily in the cupboard.

We always carry a spare tetra of UHT milk as a backup when we run out of fresh milk which is increasingly rare in Europe.

Hope the info was of some value and have a great time in your new motorhome. 

Paul M Who - 2013-07-04 7:56 AM

We found the oven is a great storage spot. We fitted a 24cm frying pan with lid, a pyrex casserole bowl & lid and the grill tray all fit inside wrapped in tea towels  

We have a plastic box which fits neatly in the oven and that contains all our crockery. In 2.5 years we have never used the oven and only used the grill once to test it. In our opinion a 5m van is not the place for the kind of cooking which requires an oven, thats what we do at home, and when we are abroad we generally have lunch in small restaurants....it's a major feature of our trips. I think that on our next van we might not have an oven, the only question is whether it affects the re-sale.

Muswell - 2013-07-04 8:36 AM

Paul M Who - 2013-07-04 7:56 AM We found the oven is a great storage spot. We fitted a 24cm frying pan with lid, a pyrex casserole bowl & lid and the grill tray all fit inside wrapped in tea towels  

We have a plastic box which fits neatly in the oven and that contains all our crockery. In 2.5 years we have never used the oven and only used the grill once to test it. In our opinion a 5m van is not the place for the kind of cooking which requires an oven, thats what we do at home, and when we are abroad we generally have lunch in small restaurants....it's a major feature of our trips. I think that on our next van we might not have an oven, the only question is whether it affects the re-sale.

I tend to agree. We've used the oven only once. But the grill gets used all the time for toast.

The most energy sapping item that usually overloads the electricity at campgrounds is an electric toaster. Why people need an electric jug and toaster in a motorhome with a gas hob and grill is a total mystery. Some campgrounds are now charging a fee to reset the breaker after it trips.

I'm not so sure about the resale value though. Perhaps in the UK but in Europe its almost impossible to find a motorhome with an oven/grill as OEM. And in the latest van conversions the layout prohibits it even as a retrofit - without major (expensive) surgery to the design.

As for eating out, we refuse to pay good money for a meal we can prepare or cook ourselves using all the wonderful local produce - cheeses, meats, fruits, veg and the great variety of breads and pastries.

Lunch

Lunch01.jpg.c4c665d2b96ff9f8946b88a99c796ca8.jpg

That looks like our evening meal :-D My wife has a bad knee and needs to be careful not to walk too much and to rest it frequently so a good plan for us is to visit a place of interest, walk around a bit, stop for lunch, and then go back to walking. It's a tough life, especially having to force down the food.

Star55 - 2013-06-28 12:38 PM

At the moment our idea is one or two tall, narrow plastic boxes which travel (secured somehow) by the main sliding door and when parked are moved to the door footwells in the cab. Many thanks

I believe there is a safe under the passenger seat in the Pimento, similar to the Morello, so your plastic boxes could be strapped behind that while travelling.

A long belt, or a strip of fabric with Velcro at the ends will do the job.

Paul M Who - 2013-07-04 9:15 AM

. We've used the oven only once. But the grill gets used all the time for toast.

We use our gas grill 'area' for storage.

Much nicer toast from one of those flat folding toasters - and more efficient use of gas.

;-)

Like women,where possible many pieces of gear should be able to multitask. The picture of Le Pique Nique is very evocative of our tours,du pain du vin du jambon. The picnic sites just like here-not, we are bombarded with fast food outlets,a stick of bread,cheese and meat can be a lot less than a Rotten Ronnies 'meal'.

Coming from a backpacking and boating background I learnt to economise on gear.

malc d - 2013-07-04 12:23 PM

Paul M Who - 2013-07-04 9:15 AM

. We've used the oven only once. But the grill gets used all the time for toast.

We use our gas grill 'area' for storage.

Much nicer toast from one of those flat folding toasters - and more efficient use of gas.

;-)

Likewise. A fold-flat toaster thingy on the hob for us, every time.

Archived