Sky Pace Box -v- Freesat Box

Perso710

I am about to get my Oyster System updated next week from the wedge box. I do have a sky pace box installed in the van. It has been suggested I should get a freesat box instead of the sky box as it would be more modern and have more channels. I do not have sky at home. I do not have a sky card and know nothing about sky. Could I have some advice please.

OK I'll have a second go at answering this, first time my router packed up, just had to swap back to my old router.

If you are happy with the pace box then no big reason to change, but a Freesat box will be more user friendly as nearly all the channels listed on EPG are availible to watch, unlike the Sky box which includes loads of pay channels. If you run off 12v then be sure to choose the correct box with sepperate transformer.

There are a couple of other options, FTV and IDTV, the FTV boxs are more adapterble but are not so user friendly and will not list channels as you are seeing them at present without rearanging them. IDTV's in 12v (that I've seen) are similier to FTV but you get a inbuilt tuner so only have the one remote.

We have an 85cm Oyster auto dish with a freesat box badged as "manhattan" this picked up most importantly R4 then BBC1 & 2, ITV1+1 & C4 as far as the southern Atlantic coast of Portugal, There were several stops with no signal, however the most successful m/h's appeared to be those with the 85cm Oyster dish coupled to a Sky pace box.

You pay your money and take your chance.

Hi Ken

To answer your question, sky v satbox. I have sky at home and tried a 12v box in the van. It blew a fuse situated inside the box so went back to the supplier. A 240v box is a bit of a pain if not connected to EHU. I got a 12v free sat box which provides all the channels you could require. I got all the ITV and BBC channels, including Tyne Tees and BBC North east and Cumbria all the way down to the Algarve. You must remember that reception abroad is at present a moving target because of new and moving sats. so it may not be possible for this now or in the future. However, my recommendation would be to go for the sat box, it will give you more than a Sky box with a free view card, I know, I have one.

Hopes this helps.

Art

Archived