Changing Coolant on a Eberspacher

suntrecker38

I assume you are referring to a hydronic system. In this setup the "coolant" is not actually used as a coolant but a heat transfer medium. The fluid is an anti freeze/water mix usually at 50% and is held in a closed circuit. The Hydronic heater heats the water/anti freee mix which is circulated by a pump through two heat exchangers, one in a calorifier tank which transfers the heat into the water in the tank and the second heat exchanger is a simple heater matrix with a fan to distribute the heat through the van's ducting system. Replacing the anti freeze/ water mix should not be difficult, somewhere in the system will be a drain point. Locate this drain point and open it, also remove the cap from the header tank and let it drain. As yours has gone a dirty grey colour I would also flush the system with fresh water till it all runs clear, you will probablyy need to run the pump to flush the full system. Once its all cleaned out and drained simply refill via the header tank with the apropriate mix of anti freeze/water (should be specced in your owners handbook) and run the system till all the air has bubbled out in the header tank.

D.

• 4 weeks later...

There is a bleed screw on the Hydronic unit. This needs to be loosened until fluid / coolant emerges.

If you cannot locate it by viewing the various online manuals for Eberspacher, I probably have a photo' of its location I could post.

You will of course need to locate the actual Hydronic unit first. May be located in different places on different motorhome.

Harvey

Archived