Go boxes for Austria & Switzerland

kevin hawkins

I have recenlty read an article in MMM and apparently you need a Go box if you go through Austria and Switzerland in your motorhome. I believe that to obtain one you need an emission certificate, obtainable from the maker of the motorhome. As I have a 1991 Transit Autosleeper - petrol (also converted to gas). I did intend visiting Italy but do I have to go via France to get into the country now?

Can anyone throw any light on this subject. Do I need a Go box, where do I get one from and will my vehicle be eligible for one.

Kind regards

Kevin & Kath :-S :-S

I believe your vehicle will have a GVW (MAM) no greater than 3500kg, and probably less.

In these circumstances, and for motorway travel only you will need a vignette in both Switzerland and Austria. Non-motorway roads will require no additional payment (except for the usual tunnel fees, etc.) No Go Box requires, and you will be eligible. Different rules apply above this weight.

As the Swiss motorway vignette only comes in an "annual" version, it is the more expensive of the two at S Fr 40. It can be bought in advance, but is readily available at customs offices (where you should ensure you buy one if you enter on a motorway - though you are likely to be directed to do so), Post Offices, etc).

The Austrian vignette is available in shorter periods, is therefore generally a cheaper prospect, and can easily be bought at the border at filling stations, etc. or Post Offices.

In neither case (for a 3500kg max 'van will you require any paperwork (V5C, emissions evidence or whatever).

More info on each:

http://www.ezv.admin.ch/zollinfo_privat/04338/index.html?lang=en

http://www.vignette.at/en/web/guest/maut/vignette (scroll down for English, esp. durations and prices)

Guest JudgeMental

You can cross Austria without a vignette but it is cheap. Can't remember what we payed last year, maybe 8 euro? But only valid a month so had to buy another on return leg. You also have tp pay an addition toll on the Bremmer pass.

This year we are going via Switzerland again as its approx 200 miles shorter. Timing for Gotard tunnel crucial as there can be major delays high season......avoid weekends!

All really dependent on where in italy you are heading and weight of your van?

Guest JudgeMental

Robins links give up to date costs so ignore the above...

worth noting fuel expensive in Italy. sometimes but rarely you see a garage selling cheaper than most, but they are few and far between and there will be ques! But well worth topping up......

this a good thread on topic

http://www.touringandtenting.com/forums/index.php?/topic/22011-routes-to-lake-garda-via-brenner-pass/

Archived